Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 12th 2016  (Read 5402 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, October 12th 2016
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »

A little Chilly this morning for early October. We started at first light again and fished a pool with a mix of chinook, coho and chum salmon in it. Hooking them was not a problem, but keeping them on the line was. In the end I managed to hook three coho, one chinook and one chum salmon. Only one hatchery marked coho salmon made it to the net. Casting and retrieving a variety of spoons and spinners was the method. Bite was only good from 7:15am to 7:45am, which has been the theme of this season so far.

ShaunO

Re: Chilliwack River, October 12th 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »

Yes, that wind was biting pretty hard this morning.  The bite was short, but it seemed to only be really short for spoons, spinners and roe.  I fished near a few fly fisherman who were doing very well all the way up until I left at 9:30.  Oh well, some days you win, some days you lose.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »

Our area was good with bites off and on most of the morning with, as Rod said first light being the best. I then gave up my spot to Jon as I had 3 to the beach with one a hatchery. I missed about 6 hits as well, slow water made it hard to hook them or maybe too slow these days. Jon was in to a few while I cleaned up the area of garbage which was not bad at all except a lot of discarded line from people getting rats nests. I did not want it to wash down in the coming high water event.

A fellow from this forum was doing very well all morning with a fly, had a good visit with him while cleaning up the garbage.

Jon and I then decided to head to Cookies Grill for a late breakfast and talked about the old times including when we took Rod coho fishing to the Squished Tin where we all had good fishing, I think it was in 2001, Rod will have pictures of the day, that was the second time I had taken him out and he was just starting this web site and we then started the CVRCS shortly after that.

How things have changed from then to now. ;D ;D

Jake and his relative joined us for lunch and we had some more good banter and talked about several topic and issue we have these days on the fishing front.

We also met up with a local fishery officer twice around Lickman as he is covering the area pretty well and says compliance is very good by most, of course dealing with some methods of activity is difficult in some areas of the river.

After Cookies I went and bought a new rain jacket to prepare for the rain storms coming, we should get one more good morning of fishing before the river turns to flood stage as logs and muddy condition will be the order of the day so to speak.

Time then to go duck hunting.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »

i also met those officers on my return. basically asked me if people are behaving out there. everyone so far being good...no stupidity being seen.

lapa

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »

I was fishing upper for a few hours. See some nice coho landed. Need to move to 6 # leader and #4 hook to get into some actions. Landed 2 hatchery. No single bite with #8 fluorocarbon leader.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »

Forgot to mention in my report, when the bite was on this morning I missed a fish and the gear came flying back and landed in a fire behind me, the Maple Leaf DNE and terminal gear was toast and I had to tie up again and miss some of the action as the bite was on. :-[

A first for everything in fishing I guess. :-\

Not raining here in Chilliwack yet so we should have some fishing time tomorrow before the river blows out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 10:33:15 PM »

Forgot to mention in my report, when the bite was on this morning I missed a fish and the gear came flying back and landed in a fire behind me, the Maple Leaf DNE and terminal gear was toast and I had to tie up again and miss some of the action as the bite was on. :-[

A first for everything in fishing I guess. :-\

Not raining here in Chilliwack yet so we should have some fishing time tomorrow before the river blows out.

Did you actually walk by and miss me and my dad in the dark this morning? ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 10:40:50 PM »

Did you actually walk by and miss me and my dad in the dark this morning? ;D
Well you are a bit short and hard to see among the logs. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 11:03:31 PM »

Ouch !  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:14:21 PM »

It's called camouflage. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 04:38:03 AM »

It's called camouflage. ::)
I will watch closely for you this AM, has not rained too much so river should still be in.