Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Journal From The Chilliwack Vedder River, October 11, 2016  (Read 4962 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Journal From The Chilliwack Vedder River, October 11, 2016
« on: October 12, 2016, 04:03:29 AM »

Welcome to the Journal I said the other day I would write on Fishing with Rod, your top fishing web site in Canada and beyond, for fishing information, fishing tips, tall tails,discussion on environmental issues, videos and much more including YouTube Live-stream Video with Rod, Kitty and other guests.

With heavy rain forecast starting on Thursday I felt I better get out again, I have had limited salmon fishing opportunity this year due to all the closures. I also want a few to can for the winter.

I was restless early this morning, thinking of the Maple Leaf Drennan going down like yesterday I guess and of course with the Maple Leafs starting their march to the Stanley Cup on Wednesday again that also is something to look forward too.

I gathered up some fresh coho salmon roe from yesterday's fish and headed to Tim's for a coffee in the Leaf Mobile and worked on the books for the Fraser Valley Salmon Society as we start our fall meetings after the summer break.

I park in my usually spot at Webster Road and head to yesterday's hot spot. As I walk along the Rotary foot path. I see a lot of head lamps and even a fire glowing in the distance, boy I thought I was early, I can hear eager chatter as the fishers are excited to be out on the flow on such a lovely fall morning.

I do not blame them, the stars in the clear sky are brilliant, as I look for the Big Dipper,  I wonder what is up there in the heavens, are long gone fishers of this river looking down on us? I quicken my steps hoping good exercise will delay me finding out.

I think of my dear late friend Gwyn as I pass by "Gwyn's Run" where he caught his last steelhead, I was glad I was there that day with him. Crisp colored leaves litter the trail in their fall brilliants and crunch under my 73 old feet, glad they can still move me at a fair pace.

As I approach the run a couple of other anglers are there, one near where I fished yesterday and landed 4. He was already fishing and I had to remind him we are not allowed to fish until one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset. Not sure if he knew that but he stopped tossing his lure.

Actually today was most likely the earliest I have got to the river especially during the coho season.

I check in with The Master and he is heading up river, to his "hot spot before he will then head to the Harrison River.

As I wait for the fishing time I settle into my lawn chair as my knee is a bit sore from my recent badminton games in the 55 + BC Senior games. I played about 13 singles games which are hard on ones body at any age. Of course several more games in doubles over the 3 days gave me a good workout.

It is cool this morning with a North East wind making it feel like winter is not far away.

Anglers begin to arrive in numbers but not like yesterday's numbers when there must have been hundreds from below the hatchery to the Sumas River, all enjoying a day of fishing. In the people arriving as the sky lightens above Mt Cheam and the surrounding mountains, friend Jake who fished beside me yesterday also arrives, we chat briefly before he heads to another part of the fishing run.

It is time to fish now and it takes me a while to get the first bite which I hook and land, a small clipped coho buck which after a brief fight is in the net. I usually do not use a net but it makes landing a fish easier in this particular area.

Fishing is quite slow for us fishing bait but others tossing hardware across from us are doing very well as is an fly fisher.I think they ended up with limits. Jake lands a chinook adult and then a brief bites comes on, I miss  about 3 chances including one where the float was down for a few seconds but the strike is way too late as I have too much slack in my line, Jake tells me it is because I am fishing from my lawn chair and casting, what a lazy way to fish  :-[ ::) but action was so slow.

I finally connect and land a doe maybe 5 pounds, if I lie a bit. That is the last bite for me and I, like a few others leave the run, for another day.

The Master calls and his hot spot was not too hot either as it only only gave him limited action with a wild coho buck and spring jack, "the run is too low now he tells me." I guess it will be too high shortly with the monsoons on the way later this week. Will be good for float hunting anyway. ;D

I guess 2 coho in the bag is not bad for me and it was a great morning just to be out there, probably more important than catching fish and, the lawn chair was so comfortable. :-[
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:13:48 AM by chris gadsden »

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: The Journal From The Chilliwack Vedder River, October 11, 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »

Great report Chris.

Today was great one as well.  Crisp morning and some feisty hardware eating fish. Thought of your report when I saw about 40 floats in a log jam. Congrats on Matthews...

lapa

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

Great report Chris.

Today was great one as well.  Crisp morning and some feisty hardware eating fish. Thought of your report when I saw about 40 floats in a log jam. Congrats on Matthews...
Leafs will go down as Chris float ;D ;D.  Matthews can't score 4 every game.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »

Leafs will go down as Chris float ;D ;D.  Matthews can't score 4 every game.
I think I will have to rename my floats. and as well I think I will get 4 coho salmon tomorrow morning in his honor. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:16:15 AM »

Well I got the hat trick at least yesterday. ;D

lapa

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »

Well I got the hat trick at least yesterday. ;D
Must be fish everywhere ;D ;D.  Or they decided just  to tank  maple leafs  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:58:59 PM by lapa »