Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Day Fishing On the Vedder, October 10, 2016  (Read 5273 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Thanksgiving Day Fishing On the Vedder, October 10, 2016
« on: October 10, 2016, 03:55:03 PM »

Conditions were perfect this AM and there must be a lot of coho around as I landed 4, 2 hatchery came home and others were having success with lures, a lady caught her first salmon every on a lure a 20 pound chinook salmon, was she ever excited. I shot some vid of that and other action too. I took 2 on roe bags and the others on just coho roe.

Good to see families enjoying the day on the water and all were fishing as they should as this water can only be fished that way, many will know where you can fish that water.lol

Went up river and cleaned up some garbage and put out a garbage bag at Tamihi Rapids. Was nice to see it was fairly clean as was the canal area yesterday when I changed 2 bags there, was rewarded with a Maple Leaf Drennan and 2 DNE's.

Just cleaned 4 grouse from a hunt last week and the 2 Coho Salmon, one 3 pound buck the other a doe around 5 . Of course the 2 unclipped where bigger. ;D

Time for a nap before supper so I can get back out for an hour before dark, need to get all the fishing in one can before the big storms they say are coming on Thursday and Friday. May post some vid later and the evening report. Hope you are enjoying your turkey dinner, I think we will enjoy fresh coho salmon. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Thanksgiving Day Fishing On the Vedder, October 10, 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »

Just cleaned 4 grouse from a hunt last week
Seriously?  You leave the innards in 'em for a week?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

Seriously?  You leave the innards in 'em for a week?
The English way, you hang them until they drop, well seasoned. ;D ;D Of course you are not English or a hunter so we will excuse you this time. Actually, most of us take the innards out after they are shot and then kept cool until you arrive home as you have to leave a wing on for ID purposes. Some tips for you if you every take up hunting over fishing.

When I saw your post I thought you would have been more positive but I know you do not like us taking wild salmon that were raised in the hatchery before they head to the ocean. :P

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »

I was born in England, hunted for about 30 years, and don't understand your last sentence.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

Back out for an hour tonight but no action,should be good tomorrow at first light.

Grouse and fish now put away to enjoy during the winter.

As promised here is one of the several videos I filmed today. Filmed this while cleaning up garbage at Tamahi Rapids, always fun to watch the action there.https://youtu.be/uObYIHzHJqs

243Pete

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:21:15 PM »

Fish the lower half of the river today, saw LOTS of floats going by.... :o None with line running through them, a maple leaf Drennan sounds cool!
Ahhh good ol' Tamahi rapids, always fun to watch what goes on there.
I noticed some areas down river are really clean this year and some of the meat holes aren't to bad.
After 11 I noted that not a lot was moving around except for a lot of anglers.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »

Fish the lower half of the river today, saw LOTS of floats going by.... :o None with line running through them, a maple leaf Drennan sounds cool!
Ahhh good ol' Tamahi rapids, always fun to watch what goes on there.
I noticed some areas down river are really clean this year and some of the meat holes aren't to bad.
After 11 I noted that not a lot was moving around except for a lot of anglers.  ;D
Good to see anglers cleaning up after themselves but the 1 meter jump in the water levels over the weekend washed a lot downstream. Picked up a few Tim cups left behind today and the BC Rivers Day cleanup a couple of weeks ago by the CVRCS got a lot, I must find the totals, Dave may have them. Good work once again by the organizers, sponsors and just under 300 volunteers that took part..

243Pete

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »

I'm glad I haven't walked out with as much garbage this year or a few hundred yards of line like last year. Tim's cups are like roe stains... they are everywhere.  :o
Always good to hear Chris, and thank you as well for what you do as well.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:42:28 AM »

Good to see anglers cleaning up after themselves but the 1 meter jump in the water levels over the weekend washed a lot downstream. Picked up a few Tim cups left behind today and the BC Rivers Day cleanup a couple of weeks ago by the CVRCS got a lot, I must find the totals, Dave may have them. Good work once again by the organizers, sponsors and just under 300 volunteers that took part..
Here is the info re the BCRD cleanup from Niki.

Hi folks,

I am thrilled to let you know that our recent BC Rivers Day Cleanup and
Celebration was a great success!

We had 269 AMAZING people show up at our BC Rivers Day Cleanup and
Celebration and collected 1990kg of Garbage and 650 kg of Metal out of our
Chilliwack Vedder River valley!!!!!

Big thanks to our partners, the City of Chilliwack, the Fraser Valley
Regional District and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, we so
appreciate your involvement and your commitment to our organization. To our
Directors at CVRCS, you are a wonderful group of people to work with and you
are not afraid to work hard, get your hands dirty and do a lot of pre-event
prep to make this all come together – THANK YOU!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Nikki

p.s. of special mention is the fact that we had a significant number of
youth/young adults participate and we feel this is in large part due to our
Youth Ambassador, Elysha O’Grady who is very involved in the youth Rotary
movement called, Interact. Thank you Elysha!!!

Nikki Rekman

President, Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society

nikki@rekman.ca

604.824.2988 office

604.626.6922 cell

Check us out on Facebook at Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society
<https://www.facebook.com/cvrcs/>  or on our website
<http://www.cleanrivers.ca/>