Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee Trolling Without Downriggers  (Read 13481 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Kokanee Trolling Without Downriggers
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »

Moose season might be too cold for fishing season...

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »

Moose season might be too cold for fishing season...

Ya but it's a hell of a drive just to go fish it in the prime season...

dufflayer

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »

Gawd when you figure it out let me know... Fished there a few times during moose season, with zero success.

Fished hard all day. Trolled up and down battling some pretty bad wind. I was using a variety of things, dipsy divers, jet divers, weights, gang trolls, wedding bands, apex, maggots, corn. Went in to some of the small bays to the south and you could see the schools working throughout the calmer waters. We were casting some croc spoons and getting taps but no commitment. Was able to hook up a few rainbows on my ultralight which fought nicely. I didn't much pursue Char as I was dreaming of a cooler full of kokanee  ::)
All-in-all it was a good trip. From Mackenzie to the middle rec site it took about an hour and fifteen minutes. The only thing I left with was a sunburn and a dusty truck. I may try again in the near future if I can get a group of people that want to camp out there.

Go Leafs Go

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »

--When kokanee are on the bite most anything works.
--A key factor is water temp mid to low 50's so if that is near surface temp then no downrigger required.
--On deeper lakes or when fishing year round the downrigger gets you into that temp range where the fish are active and willing to bite.
--On lake chelan they winter fish 85 to 150 ft down. I often fish Skaha 60=85 ft but have also caught at the south end where it is only 20 ft deep.
--This time or year with lower water temps there is a longer period during the day that near surface fishing is productive. I usually go to downriggers after 10 am
--I use downriggers so I can use lighter action rods when I get the fish on. I don't use snubbers so best to get the fish onto the rod.
--Scotty and others have mini clips with light release but I find these sometimes release.. especially when fishing deep which can be a pain. I use the chamberland.. magnetic release for deeper fishing when I want the light release to prevent dragging around a little guy but it sill has the power on to prevent the deep line from pulling the line out.