Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee Trolling Without Downriggers  (Read 13480 times)

dufflayer

Kokanee Trolling Without Downriggers
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »

Is it possible? I want to give it a shot this weekend. Anyone have good results using divers and weights?
Go Leafs Go

Bavarian Raven

Re: Kokanee Trolling Without Downriggers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »

Depends where you are fishing. Personally, I've never used a down rigger for kokanees. But that's just me. :)

rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »

I caught kokanee using a 1oz sliding weight. 

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »

This is a troll.  ;D

Kokanee are so light these days that I can't imagine it ever popping off a rigger clip.

Many time you'll be dragging around a kokanee for some time without ever realizing you got one on. Often happens if you're pulling a willow leaf and drinking beer. Well you don't have to drink beer to catch or miss kokanee.

Up at Allouette I would use a 4 or 6 inch half silver/half brass flasher with a 4 to 6' leader and a small pink Dick Nite spoon baited with maggots. Slow troll works well. Pink on one side, white or pearl on the other side of dick nite.

I've never known anyone to use downriggers for kokanee but I can't say it's not possible.

I have tried a 4oz betty to get the lure down deeper - that was a costly mistake.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:36:33 PM by Rieber »

dufflayer

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »

Up at Allouette I would use a 4 or 6 inch half silver/half brass flasher with a 4 to 6' leader and a small pink Dick Nite spoon baited with maggots. Slow troll works well.

How did you get that rig down to a working depth?
Go Leafs Go

poper

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »

Lead line works great, put it on a large arbour fly reel, then a mono leader of that. I use it in stave lake with lots of succes, Lyman lures are great off them or any smaller spoons or spinners for Kokanee.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »

Jet divers are a good bet as well . They are light and you can get different sizes for the depth you want to reach .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »

How did you get that rig down to a working depth?

Whenever I fish kokanee, I try hit the early morning of sun down. Kokanee are near the surface and you're trolling slow enough that you don't need weight.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »

A few days ago we were trolling for kokanee at Wood Lake near Kelowna. At the beginning (10am) we were actually trolling very close to the surface by using a Gibbs trolling spoon as a mini flasher, and hootchie tipped with shrimp on the hook. That worked well until about Noon then most of the fish we got were on the downrigger set at 20ft, so still not too deep. It was a bright sunny day.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 08:08:33 AM »

Thanks Rod. It's nice to see Wood Lake recovering.
Did you note the surface temperature?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »

I can't remember the surface temp at Wood, but if it helps, we were at Skaha the next day the surface temp was 59.

Wood has a pretty high abundance of kokanee now but it also means the fish are not as big as when it had a die off a few years ago. All the fish we got were in the 14 inches mark, a couple slightly bigger. We had about 20 hook-ups.

dufflayer

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »

For anyone that's interested, I am going to give the Tacheeda Lakes system a go. They are (allegedly) one of the more tangible kokanee fisheries in the Williston drainage. The last couple of summers the road has been washed out, but some recent logging back there has opened things up.
I'm going to try and hit the water bright and early in my 12ft aluminum. Going to try the old faithful willow leaf gang troll > snubber > wedding band > white corn rig. I also have some mini flashers and little pink things I want to try out.
The lake is still very cold and high.
Apparently the char fishing there is outstanding too. I've heard accounts of 20+ pounders getting pulled out... but those are just fishing stories.

Can anyone recommend a trolling speed?
Go Leafs Go

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »

I can't remember the surface temp at Wood, but if it helps, we were at Skaha the next day the surface temp was 59.

Wood has a pretty high abundance of kokanee now but it also means the fish are not as big as when it had a die off a few years ago. All the fish we got were in the 14 inches mark, a couple slightly bigger. We had about 20 hook-ups.

--THIS is just to confusing Rodney... (fishingwithrod)... fishing with Rod from (Rodney's reel outdoors).
--Sorry couldn't help it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »

Fishing with Rod has been fishing with Rod. ;)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »

For anyone that's interested, I am going to give the Tacheeda Lakes system a go. They are (allegedly) one of the more tangible kokanee fisheries in the Williston drainage. The last couple of summers the road has been washed out, but some recent logging back there has opened things up.
I'm going to try and hit the water bright and early in my 12ft aluminum. Going to try the old faithful willow leaf gang troll > snubber > wedding band > white corn rig. I also have some mini flashers and little pink things I want to try out.
The lake is still very cold and high.
Apparently the char fishing there is outstanding too. I've heard accounts of 20+ pounders getting pulled out... but those are just fishing stories.

Can anyone recommend a trolling speed?

Gawd when you figure it out let me know... Fished there a few times during moose season, with zero success.