Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing book  (Read 6071 times)

Outdoorsman

Fishing book
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »

Hi there,
I just finished reading "a river runs through it" and quite enjoyed it. Does anyone else have any outdoors or fishing books that are a must read?? Doesn't have to be an instructional book, just something they really enjoyed reading. The cold nights after fishing around the fireplace are upon us very soon, and would like to know of any. Thanks for the input!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Fishing book
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »

Great topic.

A River Runs Through It is a fantastic novel, glad you enjoyed it!

My other recommendation would be "The Seasons of a Fisherman" by Roderick Haig-Brown.  Really almost anything by RHB is a great read, but this series (Fisherman's Winter, Fisherman's Spring, Fisherman's Summer, Fisherman's Fall) is my favourite.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

"On the Run: An Angler's Journey Down the Striper Coast" by David DiBenedetto. Fantastic book.

Any of John Gierach's titles: I just picked up 3 more used titles at Powell's in Portland.

Jerry Dennis is another favourite author: "The River Home: An Angler's Explorations" and "A Place on the Water: An Angler's Reflections on Home" are a series of essays, like Gierach's work.  And because I grew up on the shores of Lake Huron, I particularly enjoyed  "The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas".

Outdoorsman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »

Thanks for the reply clarki. Ill definitely take a peek at those too.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »

Any of Geirach or Haig- Brown, a bit of Leeson, then throw in a Walton  .. but the best, IMO, is "The River Why", by David James Duncan.  Worked for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:17:00 PM by Dave »

BCLAX

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »

River of the Angry Moon - Mark Hume

Great look into recreational, commercial, and first nations fisheries on the Bella Coola River.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »

River of the Angry Moon - Mark Hume

Great look into recreational, commercial, and first nations fisheries on the Bella Coola River.
Yeah, that was good. I loved his writing partnership with Thommassen and the description of the flora and fauna of the river valley through the changing seasons.

Hume's previous book THE RUN OF THE RIVER: PORTRAITS OF ELEVEN BRITISH COLUMBIA RIVERS was excellent too.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »

Thanks for all your responses everyone. Looks like I'll have some good reading ahead of me now  :)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:11:51 AM »

Any of the Roderick Haig-Brown ones are good, especially so if you're a fan of BC history.

a couple other classic fave's in my collection:

A Treatise of Fishing with an Angle by Dame Juliana Berners
Trout by Ernest Schwiebert

lovethewater

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »

x 2 on The River Why? 

Another great book  - Fishing with John - Edith Iglauer.  Great story of commercial fishing and exploring the coast.  Lots of great fishing, history, philosophy and overall fantastic read...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:36:33 AM by lovethewater »

Suther

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »

Moby Dick.

I can't believe nobody said it yet...

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »

I never read the book A River Runs Through it, but I watched the movie when it came out in VHS Video in 1993 when I was a 13 years old kid approximately seven times during that year. A fews ago, I went to the exact locations where the movie was filmed in Montana while I was driving to and from Yellowstone National Park.

While in Montana, I noticed that fly fisherman like to store their fly rods in front of their windshield wipers.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:29:59 PM by Long_Cast »

Outdoorsman

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

Thanks again everyone! Long cast, I strongly recommend reading the book too, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it! And very very cool to visit those exact spots. As for the photo and noticing all that, yikes!! Don't know if I would ever do that with my fly rod but that is pretty damn cool haha  8)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »

Bright waters, bright fish

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

Looking through old threads while at work LOL

Not a fishing book, but Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer is a great read, based on a true story about the 'first' climb(s) of Everest....

Jeffrey Archer’s latest book, Paths of Glory, is the story of such a man---George Mallory. Mallory once told an American reporter that he wanted to climb Mt. Everest, “because it’s there.” On his third attempt in 1924, at age thirty-seven, he was last seen six hundred feet from the top. His body was found in 1999, and it still remains a mystery whether he ever reached the summit.

But only after you’ve turned the last page of this extraordinary novel, inspired by a true story, will you be able to decide if George Mallory’s name should be added to the list of legends, in which case another name would have to be removed. Paths of Glory is truly a triumph.(less)
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.