Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass and Carp fishing  (Read 16511 times)

The Fish Hunter

Bass and Carp fishing
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »

Hey,

I was just curious to know where I can fish for Bass or Carp in the lower mainland. I know people say Pitt Meadows but where exactly.

Bavarian Raven

Re: Bass and Carp fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »

try the lower alouette river (slough really) and sturgeon slough. that'll give u a good place to start. u need to explore and find the good areas... it takes time but is worth it

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »

Hatzic sough for bass... Maybe try Mill lake for bass too?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »

try the lower alouette river (slough really) and sturgeon slough. that'll give u a good place to start. u need to explore and find the good areas... it takes time but is worth it

I live in Maple Ridge and hear everything. How many bass have you caught on the Alouette? Are you talking North or South Alouette? The lower has had rumors of some perch in the North Alouette but nobody has actually shown proof. So you got some proof of bass in the Alouette?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rahmanjoy

• Red-Spring
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »

I am fishing Pitt Meadow sloughs for the last three months every weekends.
Here is the list of what I hooked -

Common Carp
Mirror Carp
Crucian Carp
Cutthroat Trout
Northern Pike-minnow
Peamouth Chub
Largescale Sucker
Cat Fish
shiner perch
Pumpkinseed Sunfish

I don't get any BASS there (Sloughs), nor I see anyone else get one.

<><   <><   <><

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »

I don't get any BASS there (Sloughs), nor I see anyone else get one.

thats a very good thing =D

I live in Maple Ridge and hear everything. How many bass have you caught on the Alouette? Are you talking North or South Alouette? The lower has had rumors of some perch in the North Alouette but nobody has actually shown proof. So you got some proof of bass in the Alouette?

alouette? i havent fished that one for bass but know people who had caught bass in there years ago. hopefully there arent any there anymore.

north of sturgeon slough (those sloughs) have bass... they're just hard to find. one of the people i use to work with use to fish there and he always came back with bass. nothing much bigger then 14 inches, but still there was bass there... at least of 2 years ago. lol.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »

thats a very good thing =D

alouette? i havent fished that one for bass but know people who had caught bass in there years ago. hopefully there arent any there anymore.

north of sturgeon slough (those sloughs) have bass... they're just hard to find. one of the people i use to work with use to fish there and he always came back with bass. nothing much bigger then 14 inches, but still there was bass there... at least of 2 years ago. lol.

If you dont truly know if their is bass in Alouette you shouldnt post that their IS bass in Alouette than. Your giving people misinformation. I doubt you know people who caught bass in there year ago either. I know many old timers around here and none have even heard of bass in the Alouette. The only mention anyone has heard of around here of any spiny ray fish is of one perch that may or may not have been caught in the Alouette.

Yes the Pitt Sloughs have bass and their are some big ones

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »

how do you fish the pitt sloughs?  put a boat in at pitt lake launch and head over from there?  is that the sloughs?  the swampy little pockets of water in the grassy areas?
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »

how do you fish the pitt sloughs?  put a boat in at pitt lake launch and head over from there?  is that the sloughs?  the swampy little pockets of water in the grassy areas?

Any slough that is connected to the Pitt River will have bass in it. Some have more than others. Its just a matter of trying them out. Their are sloughs on the East and West side of the Pitt River.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Sam6140

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »

Do you guys think there's any bass in the lower Pitt River itself?  What kind of resident fish are there in those waters...say off the shores of the dyke, at the tip of Harris Rd?

BC Fishing

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:31:47 AM »

Deer fellow bass & carp fishermen of the lower mainland!
I know just how Deer bass and carp are to you, so in case if you didn't catch the hint already, and haven't had any luck on the Pitt / sloughs lately, try fishing at Deer Lake, Burnaby.

I have witnessed the following fish there with my own two eyes AND recorded on camera:
-Big carp, on corn & boylees during sunrise.
-Large mouth bass, on anything really, try sticking your finger in the water  8) .
-Pumpkinseed sunfish, worm & microlures.
-Little catfish, seagulls catch them & eat them on the beach.
-Rainbow Trout, on bottom rig intended for carp.
-Chum salmon, just peek into the spawning stream by the main parking lot.

I also have photos of a bass, red side shiner, northern pikeminnow caught on the brunette river. I have also seen some healthy chum females swimming about in there. I went down there four times in 2014, seen a lot of lost gear stuck in the bushes, and a few fishermen scratching their heads. The sewer pipes change the water colour from clear, to brown, to reddish, to bright white; it smells like laundry detergent and poop. Regarding sewer content, Burnaby lake is very-very-doubtful, but Deer Lake only has 4-5 crystal clear stream inflows that definitely don't come from under any factories. Vancouver is literally the cleanest urban fishery on this planet, so if you consider Deer Lake to be toxic, you are one spoiled Vancouverite ;) 

I have also witnessed all of the above mentioned fish in the Pitt Meadows sloughs a few years back. The time of year seems crucial. One trip you can keep yanking out the little catfish on every cast, occasionally having a pumpkinseed or a bass take your hook, while on another trip the place seems entirely dead (although you can see some minnow surface activity)

A flyfisherman from a nearby fishing store named "cannot recall"does flyfishing bass guides. I am willing to show you the same spots he does and get you into ultra light micro lure fishing for 20$ hehe ;). He seems to have done his research and claims that there was a planned release of bass into Deer Lake a good few decades back. As the stocked trout mostly lurk in the deep parts of the lake, bass and pumpkinseeds provide amazing urban fishery fun close to shore. A 10 minute drive, or a 15 minute bike ride away and you don't even need to bring a boat!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:40:41 AM by BC Fishing »

Kenwee

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 07:16:45 AM »

Fish Trap Creek, Abbotsford and Dyck Lake has bass.

poper

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »

I caught a small mouth bass by silver bridge, in August,was just fishing with a worm on the bottom to kill some time,surprised us,usually you just catch cut throat and pike minnows

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »

I am willing to show you the same spots he does and get you into ultra light micro lure fishing for 20$ hehe

::)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »

I caught a small mouth bass by silver bridge, in August,was just fishing with a worm on the bottom to kill some time,surprised us,usually you just catch cut throat and pike minnows

If you caught a smallmouth in the lower mainland you would be the first I have ever heard of thats caught one. Do you have a pic of it? Where is this silver bridge? Lots of bridges are silver.

Belong to the "4 F Club"