Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: similkameen river  (Read 24399 times)

The Fish Hunter

similkameen river
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »

Hey!

I am heading up to Manning Park this week and I was wondering if anyone know how the fishing on the similkameen river is? What is the best technique to fish that river?

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: similkameen river
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »

--water is high so maybe try the wider flatter parts of the river rather than the usual holding water.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

visibility is prety good, was there last weekend waters high and i fly fished, nymps under an indicator and found i did the best on wide bends in the slacker side of the bend.
anyways good luck.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Labman55

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »

I spent the first 19yrs. of my life living on it (Princeton), it was always fishable just before School was out. Manning is not too bad from the Falls up stream,also from the mine upstream to the Persatin Valley(sp) bridge, from the Tulameen/Similkameen junction up stream to the mine always produces the larger fish. I personally caught a +2lb, Rainbow at J. Pussies flat on a Royal Coachman back in 1971.  ;D

Robert_G

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »

I spent the first 19yrs. of my life living on it (Princeton), it was always fishable just before School was out. Manning is not too bad from the Falls up stream,also from the mine upstream to the Persatin Valley(sp) bridge, from the Tulameen/Similkameen junction up stream to the mine always produces the larger fish. I personally caught a +2lb, Rainbow at J. Pussies flat on a Royal Coachman back in 1971.  ;D

How far upstream in the Manning Park area have you fished? The stream is little more than a trickle most of the year just downstream from Lightning Lakes.

Labman55

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »

I always had good luck at Towers Ranch, that is just before the East Gate, I have fished all of the little rest stop areas along the river also. In 1973-74, I worked with the old Dept. of Highways, we widened the road through there, I always had a Fly Rod in my car!!  ;D

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »

How far upstream in the Manning Park area have you fished? The stream is little more than a trickle most of the year just downstream from Lightning Lakes.

I have rarely fished the upper river as the fish are quite small (6-8 inches), but still a lot of fun.  I have fished more around the Princeton/Keromeos area where the fish can get much bigger (8-12 inches with the odd 15 inchers)
Not all those who wander are lost

Labman55

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »

Yes, the lower river is a totally different story, once downstream of the Similkameen/Tulameen Y, you have the "One Mile, 5 Mile, Wolf, Ashnolla" all contributing fish and water to it.
Never Fished up towards Lightening Lakes, there are far better Lakes and small sreams out the old Hi-way #5!

iCemAn

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »

Any luck up top? I am heading to Princeton this weekend and will take my rod along for a few hours of exploring. Never fished it before but I know a lot of people that have and enjoy it.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »

I'd be interested to know as well if you had any luck.

Im heading up this weekend, with the gf and another couple,  to a campsite called "Mule Deer" which is just past lightning lake on your way twords Princeton
I've never fished the river and havent been in the area for about 10 years when i was 16 so i dont remember it all too well either.

Has anyone been to that campsite? havent been able to find many decent pictures of the site so just crossing our fingers
any idea if i were to (bring along the fly rod) to sneak away from the campsite  would i have any luck?
not looking for trophy trout or nothin.. even if they were pan fries.. just looking to have some fun and check out some scenery
any suggestions on flies? This is all just being planned and put together today so I wont have time for a recon mission. Just reading past posts and what not from other websites

cheers

iCemAn

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »

I'd be interested to know as well if you had any luck.

Im heading up this weekend, with the gf and another couple,  to a campsite called "Mule Deer" which is just past lightning lake on your way twords Princeton
I've never fished the river and havent been in the area for about 10 years when i was 16 so i dont remember it all too well either.

Has anyone been to that campsite? havent been able to find many decent pictures of the site so just crossing our fingers
any idea if i were to (bring along the fly rod) to sneak away from the campsite  would i have any luck?
not looking for trophy trout or nothin.. even if they were pan fries.. just looking to have some fun and check out some scenery
any suggestions on flies? This is all just being planned and put together today so I wont have time for a recon mission. Just reading past posts and what not from other websites

cheers

fishful... the campsite is right on the river and I would take a rod with you rather than get there and regret it. I have never stayed there, but have driven by there so many times. When the water is lower there is a lot to walk, but it might be a little tough right now. What day are you leaving? I am driving up to Princeton on Saturday morning and will be coming back that night. I will post back here and let you know what it looks like on the way by, but that may be too late for you.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »

ya your probably right.. i usually do pack it just incase. pretty easy and doesnt get in the way when you got a 4piece in a rod tube.

I'll be heading up there on Friday around 4pm and leaving sunday afternoon so it looks like i will beat you there. but thanks for the offer anyways!

hopefully i'll be lucky enough to find a decent hole or two close by. Even if the fish are dinky things dont bother me.. not expecting any trophy's just some relaxing

thanks again!

gman

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »

Just one comment in case you camp in Manning. I got back frm Lightening lake campground yesterday. There was a bear in the campground that was very bold. Apparently it took food off someones table during the day when there were people around. It tore up (all the bark clawed off) a tree right by our campsite the last nght. We never saw ythe bear ourselves but heard the stories from others and saw the sign all over (scat etc). We were tenting with kids so were concerned. We were there 4 days and there were bear sitings throughout, but we did not hear about the real aggressive behaviour till the last day.  We were leaving anyway, but probably would have left based on that incident we heard about.

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »

oh wow... thank you for THAT TIP.. thats a big one.. and one i didnt even think to ask.
I will take that into concideration for sure and be extra cautious with where we go as well
as how we dispose of and store food. bring along some bear spray too.

thanks again for the heads up

poper

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »

Bring bug spray its brutal in that area.