Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: $10 Sockeye at Steveston Harbour Authority  (Read 10304 times)

Steelie1030

$10 Sockeye at Steveston Harbour Authority
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:11 AM »

I went on Craig's list yesterday afternoon and saw an ad for fresh caught sockeye off the boat "David". I went down to the dock at 8:30 and he was just pulling in....being the first to show up I got my pick of the catch and I got five really big male sockeye for $50. The fish were in prime condition but uncleaned. I saved a lot of money not only in gas, but on the price of the fish and tackle and I did not have to "combat fish". I'll bet each fillet was 3 pounds. I was planning on going up the valley to fish this weekend but now I can enjoy the long weekend with my family.

andychan

Re: $10 Sockeye at Steveston Harbour Authority
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

congrats david.

cohojoe

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »

I think we calculated the total cost of catching trout at $ 350 a pound if you count :  accomodations,  take out meals and drinks,  car depreciatation,  car gas,  tires battery  crack in windshield shocks  etc,  tackle,  boat ( owned or rented )(  time we could have used for making real money,  licences,  books or instructional time.    Salmon was more because of the boat or guide.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »

It's funny how some people points out buying from commercial and driving out to hope to catch their 2 fish is not worth while.  The cheapest would be farmed salmon.  Do away with all wild, all that funding to protect and enhance their habitat can be saved.   :P ::)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:49:24 AM by BwiBwi »

anorden

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »

It's funny how some people points out buying from commercial and driving out to hope to catch their 2 fish is not worth while.  The cheapest would be farmed salmon.  Do away with all wild, all that funding to protect and enhance their habitat can be saved.   :P ::)

Farmed not necessarily cheaper - Europe has actually been importing some Pinks from Alaska as its cheaper (including all that shipping and freezing) compared to farmed Atlantics from Norway / Scotland

one more cast

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »

I went on Craig's list yesterday afternoon and saw an ad for fresh caught sockeye off the boat "David". I went down to the dock at 8:30 and he was just pulling in....being the first to show up I got my pick of the catch and I got five really big male sockeye for $50. The fish were in prime condition but uncleaned. I saved a lot of money not only in gas, but on the price of the fish and tackle and I did not have to "combat fish". I'll bet each fillet was 3 pounds. I was planning on going up the valley to fish this weekend but now I can enjoy the long weekend with my family.

The boat "David" is now docked at the end of Trites road in Steveston...first boat in the "Q"  DOCK.
I picked up 6 from last nights catch. He has them in lots of ice and you can pick your own.

$10.00 a fish, in the round...he wanted $12 for the larger males but gave me 2 for $10 since I drove from Vancouver to get them.

I guess they're going out again soon, so he will probably be docked at the Steveston fisherman dock.

Look him up on craigslist ..."fresh sockeye salmon", boat is called "David"

cheers

Blackrt03

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »

The boat "David" is now docked at the end of Trites road in Steveston...first boat in the "Q"  DOCK.
I picked up 6 from last nights catch. He has them in lots of ice and you can pick your own.

$10.00 a fish, in the round...he wanted $12 for the larger males but gave me 2 for $10 since I drove from Vancouver to get them.

I guess they're going out again soon, so he will probably be docked at the Steveston fisherman dock.

Look him up on craigslist ..."fresh sockeye salmon", boat is called "David"

cheers
Thanks for the post..will head down stevenston on the weekend, great price

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »

I usually go fishing by myself. $20-30 gas per trip. But I still go because I bleed my fish right after bonk to keep them blood free for sushi. If a commercial outfit sell bleeded and cleaned fish (how can you prove it?), then I don't see the need to drive into the valley for 2 fish daily limit.

cohojoe

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »

I was a die hard fisherman for anything with fins  back in the day.   Now I am ashamed to admit;  it is a better use of my time to buy the fishes ( costco,  boats at steveston ).  Those 8 hours I spent driving and messing with the other anglers was getting to me.    When I want peace and low octane fishing ; I go to the skagit and fly fish .    I hope you understand.

poper

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »

Isn,t the point of fishing going out and having a good time and enjoying the scenery and forgetting about work or what ever,not the price of tackle, gas, boat fees,or accommodations?

FishGuts

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 06:33:35 PM »

Isn,t the point of fishing going out and having a good time and enjoying the scenery and forgetting about work or what ever,not the price of tackle, gas, boat fees,or accommodations?

Sockeye isnt fishing...its harvesting

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »

Sockeye isnt fishing...its harvesting

you are fishing, plain and simple.

your trying to justify your actions by calling it somthing else.
its not helping your argument.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »

you are fishing, plain and simple.

your trying to justify your actions by calling it somthing else.
its not helping your argument.

its neither. its snagging.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Bill

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

I have been out of town for the last 6 weeks does any one know if the commercial boats are still selling Sockeye  in Richmond

thx

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »

Commercial boats will still be selling sockeye salmon at the dock for awhile because the last opening just ended early this morning.