Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

is it fair to make people feel bad for not making it to a cleanup ??

yes
- 2 (10.5%)
no
- 17 (89.5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Cleanups  (Read 5082 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Cleanups
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:07:19 PM »

It seems that every time we have a cleanup someone who participated has to come on this site and tell everybody how bad they are for not being able to make it , most of the time the cleanups happen on a day when I can't make it due to work .. once in a while I just don't feel like going , I have to been to a few but not all .. should I feel bad for that??
I think it is great if people want to donate their time , I don't think it is great that they want to broadcast to the world how disappointed they are to not see more people attending them !!

I think that your reward should be the great feeling you get inside from helping out !! I don't think that anyone that is a true volunteer would need to get Kudos from everyone for the great job that they did !!

If you made it out then good for you !!
should someone really feel bad because they couldn't ??

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Cleanups
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:14:21 PM »

This is hilarious. Look what one person can stir up. Is it really that easy? Some of you guys need to get thicker skin. This poll is silly and looks high school. Sorry Rick but I call it as I see it.

Trust me I dont need kudos. I get all the kudos I need from my kids and my wife. I do so much more than just cleanups and dont bring up any of it on these forums. I dont need to. I just like ruffling a few feathers form time to time. Its not like later in that last thread I didnt make light of it all. TH, you dont try and ruffle feathers from time to time do you ;)

Come on a bunch of us have all met and it should be OK to give one another a hard time once in a while. I have tons of friends and I do that with them and they do it to me. Its called joking around. Just some people cant take a joke  ::) ;D Those are the ones who will get it the most LMAO!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:17:15 PM »

Rick could take you anyday!  ;)  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 08:25:30 PM »

I actually think this is a reasonable question ... I am not trying to cause trouble with it.. it is a question that some of us have discussed in the past.. My feathers wern't actually ruffled by you Bryan .. more so by a certain member of this and another site that never has anything good to say.. read you're last topic to get a clue as to who  ;)
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:35:49 PM »

Its a reasonable question. Not one I really care about but I guess its reasonable.

Anthony I was kidding. It worked as I got you going didnt I LOL I have never seen you laugh FF. Life is too short you need to relax a little and have some fun.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »

I don't post much here, but I do read the fishing reports with gusto, especially those that describe fishing days on the Vedder, which is my favourite LML river.

I don't want to get into this debate, as I find it childish and unnecessary. I will, however, say one thing: It seems that it is always the same handful of people who organize and attend the cleanups - Chilliwack river or any other, for that matter. However, the number of members on this AND OTHER forums who extensively fish the Vedder lags sadly behind the number of members who attend cleanups. And that, IMO, is not a good sign. There seem to be people who are all too happy to brag about their fishing accomplishments on the C/V river, but when it comes to giving back to the river, they are nowhere to be seen.

To such people all I can say is please stop to think about what this coalition is doing for you: It enables the Vedder river to continue being a fishing gem, despite the multiple efforts by druggies, misfits, irresponsible garbage dumping campers and unethical fishermen to ruin it like so many other rivers throughout the world.

Great job, Chris, Rodney et alles, and may our precious little flow continue giving us many many more years of angling and recreational pleasure.

Cheers, Milo
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:49:08 PM by milo »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »

Its a reasonable question. Not one I really care about but I guess its reasonable.

Anthony I was kidding. It worked as I got you going didnt I LOL I have never seen you laugh FF. Life is too short you need to relax a little and have some fun.
Very reasonable question, and of coarse you wouldn't care about it.  I have seen Freak laugh lots, it usually happens when people aren't telling him how wrong he is about everything. ;)

Sorry Brian, I was going to keep my mouth shut, but well..... I see "it" as well. You can't always back track your way out of things by saying "I was just kidding, don't be so sensitive" it is clear to most what your intentions were, doesn't work that way, and you have done it time and time again.  You have anything for me, PM me. Maybe I will respond maybe I won't.  But I am done.  I said my peice.   You guys brought this out, so don't get ticked at me for giving my 2 cents. Really though, you know me a bit, and you also know that I could cares less if you are.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »

Milo , posts like you'rs are exactly the ones I am talking about !!!  of all the people that wern't there .. have you thought about other things they do in this world that maybe you don't ??  do you have kids ?? I don't yet every year I spend two weeks in the spring teaching youngsters how to horse back ride .. for free !! I raise money for cancer research and I donate to various charities .. there are many things that many people do to give back to the community !! you help keep the river clean !! that's great !! maybe you should think about what others do before making blanket comments
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 08:52:08 PM »

Very reasonable question, and of coarse you wouldn't care about it.  I have seen Freak laugh lots, it usually happens when people aren't telling him how wrong he is about everything. ;)

Sorry Brian, I was going to keep my mouth shut, but well..... I see "it" as well. You can't always back track your way out of things by saying "I was just kidding, don't be so sensitive" it is clear to most what your intentions were, doesn't work that way, and you have done it time and time again.  You have anything for me, PM me. Maybe I will respond maybe I won't.  But I am done.  I said my peice.   You guys brought this out, so don't get ticked at me for giving my 2 cents. Really though, you know me a bit, and you also know that I could cares less if you are.

I could PM you but why bother. You could have PM'd me about this instead of posting it but you chose to post it. So I have no need to talk about it. I wont even bring up all the things I could because I am better than that. If I was serious I would not have posted it. 2 years ago I would have but not at this point in time.

Anyways I wont bother trying to bug you anymore Anthony you dont have to worry about that anymore. Its no fun anymore. All the fun has been taken out of it now.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 08:53:25 PM »

Rick could take you anyday!  ;)  ;D

Probably but I am a lover and not a fighter ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »

Yes, I have a son, TH, but sadly, I get to see him only once a year in the summer...that's life! :'(
And I, like yourself, do a number of other community activities about which I don't post here because they are not related to fishing, rivers and environmental conservation.

I don't know if I should tell you this, but your insistence in keeping this silly debate brought up by Bryan makes me think that you DO feel somewhat guilty for not showing up today. And that's GOOD. It means that you care.  :)

There is no need to justify yourself for not coming. As long as there is a desire in you to do it when other life issues allow it, all is good.

Finally, my comment was not directed at you nor other 'public' faces. It was directed at those who read this forum and other fishing fora out there and benefit from the wealth of knowledge in them, yet never give back to the environment that provides them with so much pleasure and entertainment. It is such people that I do look a bit down to.

Have a great fishing season, TH and friends! :)

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »

I suppose in the perfect world, everyone who fishes the Chilliwack/Vedder would attend every clean up.  Mind you, in the perfect world no one would litter either.  Kudos to those who attended today's clean up.  I couldn't make it.  As to the issue of volunteering, well it's called volunteering because it's something you choose to do and give back to the community in some way.  Whether you choose to attend a cleanup, help a newbie learn to fish properly, walk for Cancer, organize a steelhead derby with proceeds going to the CVRCC, help out at a Foodbank, donate to a charity, etc, etc, it's all up to you.  We all have our reasons for choosing to help out or not.  I suppose as fisherfolks, it is important to give back to the resource and I do try to attend cleanups when I can.  However, by the same token, that same logic should apply to other things as well.  How many people here know someone who has had cancer?  How many people volunteer with the Cancer society?  How many people here have been a victim of crime in some fashion or another?  How many people help out in a neighbourhood crime watch/neighbourhood policing office?  How many people here love animals?  How many people here have donated either time or supplies like blankets to the SPCA?  YOu can go on and on, the opportunities to volunteer for something that affects you directly are myriad. The reality is every organization is looking for volunteers because the money just ain't there to cover all the expenses.  So, if you can help out, great!  If you can't help out, you can always contribute in other ways like dropping a fiver in the coffers for the CVRCC.  The choice is yours.  Or you can choose not to help out too.  But at least throw your garbage in a trash bin or carry it out with you.
President Club S. C. & P.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 09:09:25 PM »

Kudos to Chris, Rodney and others who organize and attend these events. Due to family commitments I'm unable to attend. I do my own thing by picking up garbage whenever I'm out fishing. I prefer to remain anonymous and don't need the public recognition.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »

I know a few people that have never been to a cleanup but I still have huge amounts of respect for them and I certainly don't look down on them, you call this debate silly but I think the comments made to others that don't go to the cleanups is silly.. obviously you aren't catching what I am throwing so I am going to give up now  ;)
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »

Milos comments are exactly what I was stating. Its not me pointing fingers at individuals its directed to the people that dont care. People who take and dont feel bad about not giving back.

Its the youth that I worry about. Its our future generation of young anglers that we should be concerned about. My son has been out to two cleanups on the Alouette. I want to make sure that my kids know that giving back is a natural thing and you should feel like you owe it to the river in which you took from. If everyone who had kids would do the same I think we would feel god about leaving the resources in their hands.

Anthony I am not even give you anything to shoot back at me with. Speaking for others is not something I would do. Obviously all the times I took you out on my boat you just dont appreciate otherwise you wouldn't have dropped these low blows.

Belong to the "4 F Club"