Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Gilly  (Read 8052 times)

sliverbullet

The Gilly
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:49:40 PM »

has anyone read this book by Alfred Davy? I am currently reading this book it is great! It explains everything a flyfisherman would want to nkow. It is also a good for beginer fly fishers explaining casting and the right flies to use and where to use them.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: The Gilly
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 09:56:09 PM »

A must read for flyfishers

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:09:19 PM »

A good reference book
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Bone

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:44:24 AM »

The best book for reference is "Morris & Chan on Fly Fishing Trout Lakes" lots of basic and advanced info.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:48:16 AM »

The Gilly was my first book when I started out flyfishing or at the time and for years after trolling flies actually before learning to cast. The book opened up alot of mysteries one had about bugs and where the are in a lake and when there are in a lake.

A must read!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:08:08 PM »

I'd say the best book for a novices to start their library with is Fly Fishing The Trout Lakes by Jack Shaw.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

McWhackit

• fishing is life, all else is details.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »

My vote would have to go too Kamloops by Steve Raymond. An excellent overview of fly fishing with some fascinating history and lake specific info.

John Bigbooty

• Where am I ?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 06:17:08 PM »

Don't try and watch the video, Alf Davey is pure torture to watch talk, shoulda hired an actor!  :D

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:13:16 PM »

This might not sound like it relates at first, but it does.

I took some acting classes a few years back and the instructor said I needed these certain books. These books are all I would need for acting.

Ok so I bought those books

I took another course and the instructor said Oh these are the books you'll ever need for acting.

So I bought a few more books.

I've read them all. They all pretty much say the same thing.

Do all these books pretty much say the same thing? I don't want to have more books in my shelf that are just going to collect dust. I want one that I can constantly refer back to once I've gotten more advanced. Which one is the most useful for an absolute beginner, that explains fundamental fly fishing language but still provides answers for more advanced?
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

John Bigbooty

• Where am I ?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:14:23 AM »

The Gilly is a good choice, it's a fun read, it has tons of info and has stayed relevant for quite awhile now.  There are others too of course but the Gilly is a good place to start.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 09:11:47 PM »

Don't try and watch the video, Alf Davey is pure torture to watch talk, shoulda hired an actor!  :D

This is true! Alf Davy was my Law teacher in high school.  The guy who did the illustrations in the book, steve carter, is a much more animated guy... he was my history12 prof (years ago!)  In any case its a solid book to start with....if you want the real dirt on where to go, what to use etc. you need to spend a half hour in detention with him back in 1987 :)