Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp Found Near Lytton and Lillooet In the Fraser River  (Read 2704 times)

dennyman

• Old Timer
Carp Found Near Lytton and Lillooet In the Fraser River
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »

Saw this news report of Carp being caught in the Fraser River.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/dfo-warns-of-invasive-carp-in-fraser-river-1.930255

They are trying to determine if it is one of the invasive species. However, even if it is one of the natural ones, it is a matter of concern. That means the population of Carp is spreading, and aside from eating plant vegetation in the river, Carp will also scavenge salmon eggs too. Hopefully it is isolated but if not, just another thing to hammer away at the existing salmon stocks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Carp Found Near Lytton and Lillooet In the Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »

All carp species are introduced, there are no "natural" population of carp in British Columbia. The one in the picture is a common carp (Cyprinus carpio), which are not the same as silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) or bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis). While common carp do have an impact on native species, they generally are a lot less destructive as silver or bighead carp. Common carp prefer slow moving to still water, and their range mostly does not overlap with salmon spawning habitat.

Quite a few media outlets are already making their viewers assuming they are the same invasive species found in the Eastern US. ::)

fishyfish

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:44:34 PM »

Yes Rod. The report I saw showed pictures of the invasive fish going nuts and jumping everywhere. They did seem to try to imply that they may be  the same variety as found here. I thought it looked just like the ones I catch in Osoyoos.  I hope someone alerts the Indians. They will probably have the best chance of getting them in their nets. That is how they found the first ones. They should let the Indians know to keep them and report to DFO. If anyone else sees or catches one keep it and bring to a DFO officer.

Sam6140

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

oooohhh wow.  Some carp.  But who cares if a certain group of individuals are OVER fishing away, to the point where there ends up being piles of dead salmon just rotting on the beach.  Of course all those dead salmon, with their hundreds of thousands of potential eggs and fry don't have an impact.   But we worry about some invasive fish?   

Damien

• Old Timer

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »

i couldn't believe how the media made such a huge deal in the story after seeing the common carp photo.
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find