Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Van salt Chinook 2016  (Read 10155 times)

blueback

Van salt Chinook 2016
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »

Noticed no one reporting the salt so I thought I would add mine: went out Sunday on a blustery day and was dragging chovys around solo. Started at the t-10 for a couple hours with nothing happening, amongst maybe a dozen other boats. Lots on the sounder but probably sox. I left there and headed to the mouth of the south arm of the Fraser, where around noon the bite came on and I hooked and landed an approx.17-18 lb football doe, red spring. I saw maybe another dozen guys hook up as well, out of maybe 50 other boats. Delicious fresh red on the bbq tonight.       

Paulo

Re: Van salt Chinook 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »

Was out on Sun as well at North arm, not even a sniff. Lots of dogfish. Should have kept going to the south arm I guess. Thanks for posting.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »

Was out on Sun as well at North arm, not even a sniff. Lots of dogfish. Should have kept going to the south arm I guess. Thanks for posting.

If your catching dogfish, try speeding up. I've yet to see one this year.
same with the codfish when fishing the other side, a little extra speed keeps them away and you cover more ground, seems like my catching has gone up since.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:16:53 PM »

I had a dogfish (at least pretty sure it was) that got somewhat tangled up in my smelt net last week. I was pulling in my net when something big starts tugging back. When it's after dark, and you are in 3-4 feet of water with a headlamp, and something big wants out of your net...your feet move fast and your heart races faster!

Whatever it was, turned itself around and my light reflected in it's eye as it took off.

I think that was my last set of the evening! :)       

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »

We were out there yesterday doing a shoot and ended up with a 12lber, had a few chances, released a couple of undersized/jacks, and of course several dogfish.

I really like this photo. All fish species are pretty.

Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:07:27 PM »

I only seem to catch Dogfish and Sole this year from my Kayak. Canso mentions speed - that may be an issue. First year fishing in the salt with my kayak - definitely lots to learn.

I know most hate dogfish, but damn they are cute. The pic of the one in Rod's "Fish Species" section always makes me smile.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

TimL

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 10:03:45 PM »

Rod, that looks like a big doggie  ;D I've never caught dogfish bottom fishing from shore, strangely enough, but we recently witnessed a large one hooked off a pier on the Sunshine coast. Kid was bottom fishing pieces of shiner perch caught off the dock and not long after the bait went down, it was grabbed. The dogfish made it to the surface but broke off after a somewhat lengthy scuffle..it really was too big to be hauled up onto the pier. We were targeting flounder/sole that day and noticed that the action went pretty much dead close to the time the dogfish was caught (near peak tide)..may be a coincidence but after thinking about it, it made sense with the sharks coming into the area.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:05:37 PM by TimL »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »

That's not Rod btw , it's Kitty and yes , that an average size dog . Looks bigger cause it's close to the camera  8) . Good job Kitty  ;D 
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

yoda

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »

Just wondering what boat launch you use?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

Just wondering what boat launch you use?

McDonald beach Richmond for the North Arm

Steveston harbour authority end of 2rd in Richmond for the South Arm

yoda

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »

Thank's for the info. One more question. How long does it take to get to sandheads from north arm(Macdonald beach launch),
just in case you want to check out the north arm first? 

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »

depends on the current, wind and your boat but it typically takes 15-20 mins for my boat to go from the north arm jetty to the sand heads green light in an average day.

yoda

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »

Thank's you guys, you have all been helpful!

mkempe

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »

Hi all,
New to the thread, it's nice to be part of the fishing community!
I've been out on the salt a bit, most recently last week for a few evening sessions. Both nights were on the incoming tide on the Cap mouth. Day 1: hooked 2 nice spring 20lb range, boated 1. Day 2: hooked 2 spring 15lb range lost both, boated a nice sized hatchery coho. Seems like the Cap is producing some good fishing, i saw at least 15 fish netted both days.
I'm planning my weekend and with the light winds, am contemplating between sandheads and the Cap again. Anyone been there recently that could provide some updates?

Cheers,

Matthias

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »

Sandheads is tapering off and the cap. is ramping up. They should both produce.
Remember at the cap. It's a counter clockwise rotation when your in tight to the marker. Right rod to shore has right of way.