Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis river Dec 1/ 2015  (Read 8604 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis river Dec 1/ 2015
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »

Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Tenz85

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »

Coho on the stave was decent for me this year  ;D

In early October the hatchery had about a quarter tank of coho while multiple other thanks were full of chum so hopefully enough not to create a cascading effect then..

Silex-user

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »

I had not fished the Chehalis for more than 12 years. It sad to heard that there hardly coho around. I first pounded this river back in late 80's when the first hatchery coho came back. It was truely awesome fishing back then. Used to drive my truck up to Easter Seal gravel bar and  on good day I used to catch more than 30 coho a day using  small gold corkie.

Silex-user

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »

I had not fished the Chehalis for more than 12 years. It sad to heard that there hardly coho around. I first pounded this river back in late 80's when the first hatchery coho came back. It was truely awesome fishing back then. Used to drive my truck up to Easter Seal gravel bar and  on good day I used to catch more than 30 coho a day using  small gold corkie.

Silex-user

Yep.  That and the old run below the hatchery used to be phenomenal fishing!  Good fly water too, if you didn't get crowded out by the gear guys.  But then I became a gear guy too!  :)  Those were the days...  :-\

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »

There is still a pretty good run of coho, but I imagine it isn't even close to how it was before. 30 fish days are still pretty possible, the thing I've noticed is that only certain areas get fish fish pulled out of them consistently where others rarely hold a fish even if they look good. There are a few sections of a few holes that almost always hold a good amount of fish that you can count on.  I can only imagine how good it was back when you guys fished it. I remember tagging along with my dad when I was really young, when it used to flow right out of the hatchery channel (back in the day where guys used to line up on that little point just outside of the hatchery trail to floss fish. Really crazy how much that river has changed and just the amount of trees it has piled up down in the lower end, can only imagine how much force is in that water to be able to do that. Really wish I could have seen the river back in the "glory days" when you guys used to fish it.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »

Once this river blew out through the forest , it went down hill from there. I remember hiking up and down the log jams seeing lots of coho trapped in pools sread all down the new channels . Season after season I seen the same thing . The water would come up and trap more and more coho . I rember seeing fresh coho dead all down the fingers of the river . Then the attempt to bring in heavy equipment to carve it back to the original channel was a big failure . I heard the money ran out and the job wasn't completed but that is just hear say . I think most of the coho are going up the hatchery channel from the Harrison .

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Old Blue

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »

Thanks for the old pics, such a shame as it looks like prime gravel beds for spawning.

I stopped in last week with the wife on our way to Harrison Hot Springs and walked along the hatchery channel to where the thick brush starts and it looked kind of bleek, we did see a healthy black bear off in the distance chewing on what I assumed was a chum and turned around before it got a sniff of us.  Even less eagles than usual.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »

was def a poor year at the chehalis this year. the weather wasnt really on the weekend warriors side. before the last storm was in the canyon and was into 6. landed my biggest fish of the year on the last trip. got some sic pics.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 06:31:20 AM »

I only fished the chehalis once this season, and I didn't land anything. I don't fish with roe for the most part and that was the problem. I had a few hits on spoons, and had a nice little cuttie come close but lost it. I was sitting at a cut bank and I could see all the fish but wasn't having any luck. This nice guy from chilliwack was walking and I waved him over to the cut bank. He hooked up with 3 Chrome coho within 30 minutes on roe.

This was mid October, and the numbers looked low to what I have seen in the past.