Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 1st 2015 : First Steelhead Trip Of The Season  (Read 8822 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Reading many cool and interesting reports (Chris Gadsdsen's Journal among others) has inspired me to do my own report(s), (Many more to come so stay tuned ;D).

Okay with that said, here I go. I had set the alarm clock for 7 AM last night and was hoping for an exciting day out on the water with tolerable weather. As I woke up after a good night's sleep, I peeked out my window to see that the rain had held off for the most part and that it was cloudy with a couple patches of sky. I quickly gathered up my things and was almost ready to leave for the river, but I had forgotten to tie up some fresh roe bags the night before, so I had to make some now. I then proceed to tie up 8 juicy roe bags which would last the trip as I also was bringing along some Jensen eggs and blades. I was then ready to head out to the river.

It would be a brisk walk as I always get excited before each steelhead trip with the hopes of hooking an illusive Iron.  My pace doubles for the most part. ;D As I approach the lower river, I witness just how different the river looks from how it did in early November. Boy have things changed! All the runs that I used to fish were underwater, but on the bright side, I saw many new runs with some nice pools which looked "fishy". I decided on a spot and started casting away. Since it's the beginning of December, one cannot expect a lot fishing wise. Steelhead are a needle in a haystack now, but the numbers will continue to improve as the days go on. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be something if I can land a hatchery fish and enter it into the Wally Hall Memorial Derby as the first fish entered on the first day? It played on my mind as I covered multiple runs. Without any action at the first few spots I tried, I decided to head further down lower to scout out some more spots. I ended up coming across a beautiful piece of water that looked like a good steelhead holding spot. On my first cast through the run with my roe bag, the float cautiously dips slightly. I was hesitant to pull back as it didn't appear to be a full take so I just pulled the rod slightly to see, and sure enough a fish is on the end of the line. Of course the hook comes flying back at me within seconds as I believe I set the hook too soon. Oh well, time to re-bait as the roe bag had been crushed. Looking for a second chance, I cast into the spot and unfortunately, it seems as though my chances of hooking the fish again are slim. Multiple casts in, I feel as if the fish (whatever it may have been) spooked off. Before moving down, I decided to try a silver hammered Colorado spinner which I had purchased from Rodney at the Used Tackle sale in November.

I thought that since the fish already has seen a roe bag twice, maybe the spinner will trigger a strike. Sure enough, first cast in, the float dips violently under the surface and I react quickly and set the hook. Fish ON! The adrenaline was pumping at this point. I start to see flashes of silver and my heart continues to race even more. I thought to myself, its fighting like a steelhead but there's a chance that it could be a late-run chum as I know you can find some bullet chum this time of year.  I'm slowly working it to shore, but the fish has other plans and decides to book it down the run. Before I even have a chance to collect my thoughts and start chasing it, the hook pops out and the fish is gone.   I had to have a chuckle as it was quite the excitement. I then proceed to fish the run for a bit, but to no avail, the fish is gone. Disappointed, I regain my composure and head down lower to fish a couple more runs before my trip comes to an end. I continue to fish through a couple runs but to no avail. Near the end of my trip, I bump into a friend who's been fishing the Vedder for the past 35 years. I proceed to tell him about the hookup I had earlier. He tells me he hadn't seen or hooked any fish where he was today, but he says he saw one caught last week. We give our farewells shortly after and I then head back home after the long trip. Time for some hot cocoa. As I check some various fishing websites now, I see that a nice doe was brought into Fred's this afternoon. Could it have been the fish I lost earlier? Who knows. Until next time, tight lines!

zap brannigan

Re: Chilliwack River, December 1st 2015 : First Steelhead Trip Of The Season
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »

awesome report.

joshhowat

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:28:12 PM »

So tomorrow morning your going back to your spot for revenge right??
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:40:06 PM »

So tomorrow morning your going back to your spot for revenge right??
Haha probably but it may be pouring tomorrow so we'll see  ;)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »

I'm guessing Lickman will be seeing a little extra pressure tomorrow.

farky

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »

As if it doesn't get enough already . :o

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »

I'm guessing Lickman will be seeing a little extra pressure tomorrow.

this isn't lickman. I know exactly where this spot is. That why i try not to post pictures with background as anyone with experience can tell exactly where it is.

This is where ive been hammering late run chrome bullet chums. They do tend to rip downstream when you hook one. Me and my buddies have seen this happen a lot lol.

Not saying it was a chum. I hope it was a steel !!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »

Great report...can't wait to try my luck.
As for the silver fish you lost...I don't remember ever hooking into a steelhead that didn't go airborne when hooked or at some point during the fight...they are smart that way. Especially the summer runs. :o

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »

this isn't lickman. I know exactly where this spot is. That why i try not to post pictures with background as anyone with experience can tell exactly where it is.

This is where ive been hammering late run chrome bullet chums. They do tend to rip downstream when you hook one. Me and my buddies have seen this happen a lot lol.

Not saying it was a chum. I hope it was a steel !!!

Yes it is just down from Lickman parking lot. The bench on the dyke is just up from Browne and in the pic looking up and across toward the campground you can even see the water intake there.  I've been fishing these runs since before you were born...

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 01:06:43 AM »

Yes it is just down from Lickman parking lot. The bench on the dyke is just up from Browne and in the pic looking up and across toward the campground you can even see the water intake there.  I've been fishing these runs since before you were born...

STOP posting spots.
river changes each year.

i know where this is ive fished the run 100 times this year.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:09:07 AM by TheLostSockeye »

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 04:13:33 AM »

STOP posting spots.
river changes each year.

Bahahaha! You posted some pics as well in another thread! So much to learn, you do padawan!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:38:21 AM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 06:29:43 AM »

I thought you were the one posting hero shots with the vedder crossing bridge in the background no?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »

STOP posting spots.
river changes each year.

Only 100 times? I remember when I was a weekend warrior...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »

We call it fencepost alley in the winter.
Filled with newbie spey guys just happy not to take their own eyes out, and gear chuckers from salmon season who block up the nicest parts of the run hoping for a passing-through fish - their floats are rarely vertical.  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »

Who's calling the kettle black ?