Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kristy Miller, Study On Salmon Now Allowed To Continue  (Read 2657 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Kristy Miller, Study On Salmon Now Allowed To Continue
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »

Once again thanks to Alex, The Cohen Inquiry and many others this has helped get this study underway.
Lets hope there is no interference along the way.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/largest-study-of-salmon-health-ever-undertaken-set-to-begin-in-bc/article9563287/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Kristy Miller, Study On Salmon Now Allowed To Continue
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »

Once again thanks to Alex, The Cohen Inquiry and many others this has helped get this study underway.
Lets hope there is no interference along the way.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/largest-study-of-salmon-health-ever-undertaken-set-to-begin-in-bc/article9563287/

Looks great on the surface, just can't help but be suspicious about whether it is another CFIA like PR campaign crafted to convince the public that DFO is looking out for the wild salmon... It's encouraging to see Miller and Riddell involved but I wonder who at DFO is running the show and who will be the "filter" for any "science" that comes out of the research.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »

Looks great on the surface, just can't help but be suspicious about whether it is another CFIA like PR campaign crafted to convince the public that DFO is looking out for the wild salmon... It's encouraging to see Miller and Riddell involved but I wonder who at DFO is running the show and who will be the "filter" for any "science" that comes out of the research.
I want to be positive on this.

Here is a comment one reader made under the story.

"One can always hope that this signals a change, but skepticism is called for.

It's easy for the government to claim it will be open at the onset of a multiyear research program whose findings are as yet unknown. Let's see what happens if facts inconvenient to the farmed fishing industry or other commercial and political interests are discovered."

Alex has made a post under the story as well, I am sure there will be lots of comments made there and on this forum by both sides of the FF dicussion. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »

I like this, especially Riddell’s lead role.  He is an internationally known fishery scientist, well published and respected by his peers, particularly those who choose to debate him.   Quite brilliant and fortunately for me, was my boss for a few years.  One thing for sure, this man will not hide anything and if this is indeed his show, will be totally transparent and will share data when tested and publishable.
Looks like this is a first response to Cohen's recommendations, and imo, a damn good one.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »

I like this, .........

I knew you and Alexandra had something in common.  ;D

"Alexmorton1
11:12 AM on March 9, 2013

This is indeed very good news. Dr. Miller is one of the bravest scientists BC has ever had, she continued in the face of stiff adversity and this project is tribute to her tenacity and brilliance. The situations with the viruses is extremely critical to survival od wild salmon and the enormous wild salmon economy that stretches the length and near width of BC. See www.salmonconfidential.ca to understand the current situation. I am so pleased Dr. Miller's voice is unfettered!"
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

The only thing Alexandra and I have in common is our passion for wild salmon and the colour of our hair ;)