Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying roe  (Read 2781 times)

Newtown

Buying roe
« on: May 26, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »

Anyone know where I can purchase decent roe on the Lower Mainland, preferably the North Shore, but I'm not picky.  I'm mainly fishing the Capilano and I know those coho take krill and ghost shrimp as well, unfortunately looks like someone raided all the pet stores before me for the krill and I'm not exactly sure where I can buy ghost shrimp, anyone got any info on that as well?  Did a search on forum couldn't come up with any info.

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Buying roe
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 09:47:41 PM »

You cannot buy ghost shrimps. Try Berry's in Richmond; they have both good roe and krill.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:48:09 PM »

The North Shore is slim on Roe selling shops-try Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale but I doubt he has any fresh.
Apart from that there used to be a few Mohawk gas stations that had some.
Berry's Bait in Richmond is your only other choice I can't think of anyone in Metropolitan Vancouver who handles it-maybe Bob's on E. Hastings in Burnaby.

Newtown

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 10:54:25 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  I know that both highwater tackle and those gas stations sell roe but I've heard that it's all the same stuff and is pretty much junk.  I think berry's supplies for the entire lower mainland including these two places.  Does anyone know what the quality of this stuff is like?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 10:57:07 PM »

Their roe is procured. It's good roe. I used it last year on the Cap when I exhausted my supply. Do not buy the roe from service station. They are utter crap and won't last more than a couple of casts.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 04:54:16 PM »

Berry's berries are the best bar none. except for the gipe i make myself at home hehehe. anyhow, loads of krill and tonnes of good quality procure roe, which is what you want for the cap anyhow. the gas station roe is salted and is no good for cap coho.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »

I doubt you will find "fresh" roe anywhere right now. Most of the roe is chum or spring roe that was cured last year and frozen. If you buy Pro-Cured roe it should come frozen so get it at least the night before you go fishing. We are trying to get uncured roe from our suppliers so we can cure it our selves and sell it, but no one wants to part with any and we can't keep a commercial supplier in business.