Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking at a new drift rod, thoughts?  (Read 9980 times)

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Looking at a new drift rod, thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »

i have many different types of drift rods and i enjoy my fenwick hmx and a berkley series one for the lighter applications needed.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

F33shFr33k

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »

10'6"Convergance was my first rod, it was good till I bought a Fenwick HMX which imo feels much nicer, untill it broke while fighting a fish. Had it replaced right away last year then the new replacement rod broke aswell, right in the middle of fighting a fish, both rods incapacitated by Fraser River Sockeye..A testament to the Sockeye and not the rods..lol..As far as the analogy used between car manufacturers goes, what you drive usually dictates what species will want to catch a ride with you.heh.

:-*

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:22:48 AM by F33shFr33k »

Nitroholic

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »

Well I run a 12-20lb technium with my Luna 253 right now. Looking for something to make those early cap hoes a little more fun as well as the upcoming pink run. I bet I could cast a spoon a mile with that gl3 and a curado 201.

n8

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »

I sent my broken 1263 GL3 back to Loomis through Nikka, 9 weeks ago  and I'm still waiting.

are you Dean? if you are, the mail guy took the wrong package. they lost it and still trying to find it, so Loomis hasn't received anything yet - haven't sent anything back either... there's another guy waiting to get his rod too cuz his was in the same package. sorry for the delay. Would be pretty quick if they didn't lose anything...

F33shFr33k

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »

Well I run a 12-20lb technium with my Luna 253 right now. Looking for something to make those early cap hoes a little more fun as well as the upcoming pink run. I bet I could cast a spoon a mile with that gl3 and a curado 201.

I just bought a gl3 and slapped my calcuta 200 on there and can cast over any part of the river if I had too, and that's with 15lb maxima..12lb would probably be a better line to fish but I already had the 15.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:39:11 PM by F33shFr33k »

oni_kage

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 06:28:57 PM »

I picked up a Lamiglas certified pro x106MLC line 6-12lbs to match my curado 201e7. It really is awesome, and I'd suggest it as well. It is light and balanced enough where I often one hand cast it. Fred's had the rod on special earlier this month and might still have it. Seriously check it out.

I have handled chum and steelhead with this rod so far, and it is great!

n8

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

I picked up a Lamiglas certified pro x106MLC line 6-12lbs to match my curado 201e7. It really is awesome, and I'd suggest it as well. It is light and balanced enough where I often one hand cast it. Fred's had the rod on special earlier this month and might still have it. Seriously check it out.

I have handled chum and steelhead with this rod so far, and it is great!

Lamis all good except for the warranty.. hopefully nothing goes wrong but if you do break it, oh man... their warranty is a pain. to me a bit more money is worth the peace of mind

bcguy

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

Picked up a medium Shimano Convergence on sale at A & N for $75.00, great rod, light, super sensitive, lifetime warranty, and here's a secret...just like high end waders...the fish don't know the difference ::)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

oni_kage

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 06:45:52 AM »

Lamis all good except for the warranty.. hopefully nothing goes wrong but if you do break it, oh man... their warranty is a pain. to me a bit more money is worth the peace of mind

I thought there warranty on newer rods are similar to Gloomis. You pay $80 and they replace it no questions asked.

penn

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »

, both rods incapacitated by Fraser River Sockeye..A testament to the Sockeye and not the rods..

Are you sure it wasn't the operator ? Seems my convergience can handle red springs in the Fraser no problem . But I have had a rod break due to operator error before , never just a fish .

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »

I thought there warranty on newer rods are similar to Gloomis. You pay $80 and they replace it no questions asked.
--I used to own a shop and warranty was hit and miss with every brand.... mainly time to get replacement not refusal to get replacement... even the best known and most expensive rods sometimes end up missing the entire season.. yet other times get them as fast as the mail can travel.
--All have been good and most have stories of exceptional service as well as horror stories. I recall when temple fork started out they allowed dealers to replace on the spot rods for $25.. dealers were given replacement rods with their next order and didn't have to send in proof of breakage.. their rod reps would drop by on a regular basis to check them out.. Guess what..some dealers would just sell the replacement rods rather than keep some available and soon customer complaints with no fault to the company which started requiring proof and payment for breakage before sending a replacement.. again dealer was sill supposed to supply you with a rod from available stock but most just blamed the company.
--Enough of this rant its Christmas so believe most warranty claims will be legit and serviced. Remember the fine print..receipt, limited or unlimited all breakage and fill in and send your warranty card when you buy the rod.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 01:07:46 AM »

If you are looking for something for early Cap coho and pink, also look into Lamiglas X10MC.
I use one with a Luna 253 and I could hold this rod for all day with no discomfort what so ever.
If matched with a lighter Curado, it will be even better.

Besides floating, you can also cast spoons and spinners quite well with this rod as it is a Bill Herzhog design.
However, it lacks back bone to turn any large fish in stronger currents.
So hooking a spring or chum in any kind of current is not fun, as I well found out this past season.
But for light coho and pink action, it is a really fun rod.
However, because it is a Bill Herzhog edition, it is not as stiff or crisp as G Loomis or other float rods rated for the same 8-12 lbs range.

If you are looking for something that could also handle an occasional spring, rods in the 8-17 lbs class is a good compromise.
I use a Trophy XL 9'6" 10-17lb spinning rod or Sage 10'6" 8-17 lbs casting rod as kind of jack of all trades rod.
Very versatile and could handle most situations except strong currents.

For stronger currents, I usually use a 10'6" 10-20 lbs rated casting rod which has more back bone to turn fish in the faster currents, especially targeting springs.
However, this rod is not fun for any salmon less than 6 lbs and I tend to loose more of them if they are jumpers, as I get little help from rod action to keep them hooked.
I have found 8-17 lbs range rods to be more forgiving in keeping jumping salmon/steelhead hooked on.