Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Canal  (Read 2768 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Fishing the Canal
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:22:14 PM »

Thinking of fishing the canal below the Keith Wilson Bridge tomorrow morning. Never fished it before so what's the best approach ? Drive the car onto the dyke or park your car next to the bridge and hike ?

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Fishing the Canal
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:22:08 PM »

Does anyone have alink that they could PM me? Want to get out to that bridge but dont know how.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »

To get to the canal:

Take the #3 Road exit from Hwy 1 as you drive towards Chilliwack (it's about ten minutes after Abbotsford).

Once off the exit, make a right and follow that road.

Five minutes later, you'll come to a T junction, make a right.

Then immediately a left.

Then continue for about two minutes, make a left at Boundary Road (Correct name? I'm pulling this from memory).

Continue until you reach Keith Wilson Bridge, there are gravel roads on boat sides of the canal starting at the bridge.

Sandhead

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:48:47 PM »

Anyone have any idea how busy it is? If i'm expecting it to be a full blown circus by the weekend will i be disappointed?
Ain't no HO like a COHO

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 06:25:29 AM »

Anyone have any idea how busy it is? If i'm expecting it to be a full blown circus by the weekend will i be disappointed?

If you don't catch any fish, you can just sit back and have the freaks in the circus entertain you.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »

the canal is very crowded . fishermen on both sides of the river catching each others lines .

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »

I smell flyfishing only regs coming soon for the canal :D

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 12:08:38 PM »

I don't understand why flyfishing only regs would make this situation any better? If anything it would further divide the gear and fly fisherpeople and thus make it even harder to lobby for our fisheries. Is it better to catch fish on a fly or short floating on a centerpin or levelwind? How is chucking spoons any different from fly fishing? With both techniques you are putting something in front of the fishes face and they are hitting it because they are pissed off. I flyfish just as much as I drift fish and I dont understand why this area should be fly only. Are flyfisherman better than drift fisherman?

enlighten me.

sorry for the hijack.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 04:10:57 PM »

I don't understand why flyfishing only regs would make this situation any better? If anything it would further divide the gear and fly fisherpeople and thus make it even harder to lobby for our fisheries. Is it better to catch fish on a fly or short floating on a centerpin or levelwind? How is chucking spoons any different from fly fishing? With both techniques you are putting something in front of the fishes face and they are hitting it because they are pissed off. I flyfish just as much as I drift fish and I dont understand why this area should be fly only. Are flyfisherman better than drift fisherman?

enlighten me.

sorry for the hijack.

flyfishermen are just better at hiding it when flossing with leaded line.  ::) ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »

Because fly fisherman love to ruin $80 lines for the sake of flossing a few fish......thats why they're considered elitists  ::)
Actions speak louder than words.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 04:42:23 PM »

I fly fish and gear fish and I am not an elitist. The reason I fly fish is for the challenge and the fight. Nothing like fighting a salmon on a fly rod. I would like to see the canal fly only as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 04:48:50 PM »

I drove over in the early morning and there only 4 people there. On the way back around noon, there were several dozen people and cars everywhere. It's going to get worse on the weekend.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 06:29:42 PM »

it would actually be kinda funny seeing KW become a fly only run.

can you imagine their version of a gong show, two fishermen/women going at it because one of them accidently walked up the other's run. i don't think you can fit more than 4 or 5 them at the main honey hole, but then again i'm not a fly fisher.