Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surviving a fall in a river?  (Read 4521 times)

goinfishin

Surviving a fall in a river?
« on: September 24, 2006, 11:19:02 PM »

Reading the other thread about the gentleman almost drowning in the river got me thinking about what to do if one does fall into the river in such a situation?

Do people drown because they become unconscious after striking their head on the bottom or does the water actually exert a force that keeps the person in the water? And is every part of the river this dangerous or only for certain parts?

I've seen how low the water is at KWB and it just doesn't seem like the water is moving much at all?

What should one do if they fall in and no one is around?  ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Surviving a fall in a river?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:55:37 PM »

First and foremost don't panic. I read somewhere that the best thing to do is to float downstream feet first and let the current take you into a shallow tailout or back eddy. The reason why you want your feet pointing downstream is to kick yourself away from rock edges or log jams.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:10:47 AM »

that's totally bang on...

to add more, if you find yourself going towards a log jam, try to jump up on it, as you'll be sucked under it... and pinned there.

One of my fears, and one of the reasons I never wade close to one, unless the wade is 100% easy...

Another one is to run with the current, if you can make contact with the ground. I learned from losing my step and falling in once, that sometimes you can regain your step if you run with the current for a bit, and try to angle yourself into the shallows... It worked for me once in another situation on a deep wade, but it was more gravel and not larger rock.

Cheers,
nicole
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:13:52 AM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »

FA, I think that advice is best for rappids...no point in trying to swin or fight rappids and going feet first could help avoid a bad blow, but if you know a log jam is coming, all the advice I have been given is to swim towars it as fast as you can.  No way a fully clothed fisher will ever win tryingto swim against the current so the idea is to swim as fast as you possibly can, get your body up on the surface and try and "beach" yourself ontop of the log jam.

A thread like this gets going every year so I will recap some of the things I tnink you need to know or do, to ensure a safe wade:
#1 - always have an escape plan, if you fall in, what will you do, where will you get out
#2 - if footing is unsure and especially if water is fast, take small steps and shuffle.
#3 - be aware that when you are wearing neoprene, the deeper you get the more the neoprene counteracts your body weight.  this means you have less weight tranferring to the river bottom so it is easier to loose your footing.
#4 - if you are set on trying to loose as little ground to the river swim towards the bank at a 45d angle

goinfishin

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:09:03 AM »

Thanks all very much for your advice.  I now have a better idea when i am fishing rather than just hoping for the best. You never know when something like this could happen to you.

fishfinder

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »

If you don’t have much wading experience use a wading stick and buy a personal floatation device.

Before you wade tighten your wading belt(the most important thing you do). If you fall in quickly point your feet downriver and float on your back. Bring your knees to your chest and use your arms like paddles.
Do what FA,Nicole and Gooey posted. All excellent advice.
You could be a strapping athlete and a great swimmer but you’ll have no chance in the current if the water fills up the leg portion of the waders  (imagine being strapped to a gigantic shopping bag filled with cold water)

Force of the water is deceiving and any part of the river with current can be dangerous. Don’t take stupid chances.  I’ve witnessed two drowned fishermen and that’s something I’ll never forget. It’s just not worth it. No fish in the world is worth it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »

Mustang makes suspenders that inflate instantly, for me they are a must when Im wading rivers with decent flow.  Still theyre not going to help you if you slip and hit your head, so common sense and avoiding a fall in the first place is always the best.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »

Also, if you are with your buddy, wade together....arm over shoulder.  This helps a great deal.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »

Also, if you are with your buddy, wade together....arm over shoulder.  This helps a great deal.
If by yourself use a wading staff. Always lots of free ones along the river bank to pick up. ;D ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 09:31:30 PM »

DAM!!   That Nicole has got a hot picture!!!!
Fish on!

winter steel

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 09:40:38 PM »

Hey Gooey (a.ka. Tumbalina), you definately know a thing or two about falling into rivers. Tight  lines Winter Steel.

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 11:54:40 PM »

Would it be a good idea to take off any unnecessary weight i.e your vest? I would assume that would help your bouyancy(sp?) although the water in your waders won't help very much.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:26:44 PM »

DAM!!   That Nicole has got a hot picture!!!!

amen to that.

...but back to the topic ;D...  always wear a reliable knife (sheathed) on you, it can sometimes help you get loose if you ever get tangled up.  it happened to me while wading, i got tripped up by a wad of braided line i didn't see. if i didn't have my knife handy i would have been in a world of s%$t.

Dubya

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 12:18:32 AM »

Just wanted to add another angle to the "logjam approach" strategy. I watched a program on river safety where professional advice was to try and swim diagonally crosscurrent to avoid the logjam altogether. The reasoning behind this was that the varying size of, and unseen sub-surface branches, can make the "launch and grab" technique a risky proposition. Also, there can be tremendous undertow forces when water hits a jam that will easily strip your slippery grip if any part of your body is still in the water and leave you tangled up in the mess underneath.

Since each scenario can be very different, I have no doubt that the previous advice has it's place along with this. After watching the program, I realized that in a panic I would have a tough time assessing a logjam. So bypassing it and then implementing the other suggestions on getting yourself back to shore safely made a lot of sense to me. Hope this helps.

Be Safe!