Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagger Drowns.  (Read 14902 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Snagger Drowns.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »

I suggest you people that are replying to Sam Salmon just stop and think. The guy obviously uses what you say as fuel for his fire and whatever you reply with he is only going to come back with an even more insensitive remark. Just don't give him anything to use and he will eventually get bored.

Thanks for clarifying Dennis.

Snagging is not an issue in this case. I think a persons life at risk is something where you wouldnt even talk about even if he was snagging. Who cares if he was? Is that justice for trying to snag a fish? Not likely. People that bring these things into consideration on a post like this are heartless in my mind.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Kevgor

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2006, 10:06:48 PM »

I was there on the south bank and saw the whole thing start to finish. The only part I missed was that actual falling in. I was with my kids and we were picking up garbage for the cleanup. It was pretty well as 4X4 stated.

When they pulled him out, I thought the guy was finished, but after some rescusistory efforts he started moving his legs and everybody sighed a big sigh. The guy who stripped down and dived in was a hero. Kids are a bit freaked out, though...

Everybody at that runout was fishing with floats, pencil lead, leaders. From what I could tell it was the same technique used in all 30km of the river, by virtually everyone who fishes there.
Kevgor -

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 02:27:35 AM »

Im sorry for the disturbing thread name, just wanted to catch some attention to it. Also to Rodney, I make a good effort to keep this river clean on every trip. Yes I floss on the Fraser in the summer, although i am not proud of it, and always keep it to the fraser. As of that Coho, I thought hatchery fish could be retained at any time during the year? No, I was not around when the guy fell in, I heard the commotion and walked over 100 meters, to witness a man in the water. As I walked to the scene people were putting there rods in the water hoping for him to grab onto, while otheres did try and hook him, which sounds stupid, I know. But everyone was in shock, and panic set in fast. Yes a few went in after him, and he didnt look good after. But Im fine with people flossing for fish, just do not agree with it on smaller systems, and at this hole were a bunch of flossers ripping there lines at every cast, and so this Is why I came to the name snagger for the titlle, but like it said the title was a little overboard and maybe he wasnt a snagger, Im just glad he got out alive.
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »

Bigfisher, I have no doubt that you also do your part to keep the Vedder clean, as it is right beside your house. I was just using it as an example to illustrate how easy it is to generalize and judge people without getting to know them first. I'm not fine with the method being used to catch sockeyes and chinooks on the Fraser, personally I gain no satisfaction if I catch my fish that way. That does not mean I am going to go around and call every single person who does it a snagger. Why not? To start with, it's rude. Nobody likes to be rude, well, most don't... As I said in the previous post, I would never do that to anyone, even though such behaviour is somewhat embedded in our human nature. Exclusion is the worst form of approach to a problem. I believe you have no ill intent, but people have to understand that by singling others out is not a solution. The ongoing problem that we face has no easy solution, but it requires a positive approach. Every single person who gets up at 4am and fishes the Vedder has one common objective, that is to have fun. Some are new into the game, some do not know better, some are unaware of the appropriate methods to use, some are experienced, some have done this for a few years, etc. Even though the methods employed vary, the recreational fishing community should not be divided. Instead we need to develop understandings and assist each other. After all, we are all using the same resource. My previous post was written with some anger because we were starting to see a kind of mob being developed on the forum. This isn't my objective when I set up the forum. This forum isn't the fishing authority, I've said it before, it isn't my job. My hope is that people come on here, are able to find the information that they are looking for, make a few friends, fish successfully, but at the same time appreciate it by helping others who are in the same boat that you were once in.

4X4, scary story and reminders.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »

Esox, is that you?
Actions speak louder than words.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »

I think we're getting away from the point here, who cares what type of gear the man was using, the fact is that a fellow angler almost lost his life.

This should be an eye-opener to be more careful and take a look at how valauble a single fish can be over ones own life.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »

Well said rodney,i agree with you 100%.if everybody think like you,this world will be very peaceful

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »

Well said rodney,i agree with you 100%.if everybody think like you,this world will be very peaceful

And rather boring too. ;) We wouldn't have anything to talk about on the forum. ;D

Researcher

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2006, 04:00:10 PM »

Hi guys, I actually witnessed the whole event.  These two blokes tried to cross the river in front of the deep pool.  One guy slips and his buddy, in trying to help him, also falls.  They get dragged into the deep pool.  Then you have 16 guys screaming at them to swim down river.  The secod guys makes it.  The first panics and his waders fill up.  His lungs fill up and he turns over, I guess 30 seconds from going under.  It happend so fast.  The guy who had the most brains throws his line and snags this blokes jacket. It was actually amazing.  Pulls him to shore.  Yadda, Yadda Yadaa, the guy has a second lease on life.   

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2006, 04:46:46 PM »

I just read this and I hope that if any of you fall in that someone helps you.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »

What is the difference between the coho and chinook that he caught and the coho, sockeye and chinook that you caught this summer (by the way, retention of coho salmon has not been permitted on the Fraser River this year)?

There isnt a difference, that's why I feel that snagging/flossing runs rampant and out of control on both the Fraser and the Vedder.

Everybody at that runout was fishing with floats, pencil lead, leaders. From what I could tell it was the same technique used in all 30km of the river, by virtually everyone who fishes there.

Kevgor, you're right, the gear's the same, yes, but the techniques (which was being commented on) varies with two extremes. At one end you have 'short floating' where the weight and hook is off the bottom and the fish needs to bite the hook to sink the float. The float is perpendicular to the water and moves the same speed as the current. The other end is, I guess you would call it 'long floating' (aka dredging, long lining etc) where the distance from weight to float is often at least twice the depth of the water being fished, and the leader is most often 3 feet or more in length. The float struggles gamely along on its side when not frequently doused underwater from hooking the bottom. The goal in this method seems to oriented towards flossing a fish which really is the only way to get a fish IMO. While using this method as more often than not, anglers Ive seen fishing so deep dont give the fish much a chance to grab the bait. Between the gear being below the bite-zone, getting snagged on the bottom and the angler constantly setting the hook making that terrible fish-scaring RIPPPING sound as the line tears through the water I think this method seriously challenges the laws of probability of a fish biting although Im sure it happens from time to time. Most anglers fishing the Keith Wilson Bridge utilize this method. Of course, between short floating and long floating there are guys who fish somewhere between the two, but it seems that more and more are fishing the 'long floating' way. More of a FYI even though probably shouldnt have commented on it in this thead. My apologies.  :-[

All that aside (as I said, probably had no place in a topic where someone almost died), I'm pleased to hear that the poor guy survived. Methods, catching and filling the freezer is a very very distant second to being safe and coming home alive. Be careful everyone! The ones most at risk, IMO are guys like myself who are confident (not a bad thing used right) with the river. Familiarity sometimes breeds contempt. Keep it in mind, and buy what Fisherforever has and follow the good advice shared from above.

If in doubt, dont do it! The river is always out to get you if you make even the smallest mistake or slip.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Bonanza

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 10:29:51 PM »

Wow this has been quite a thread!It started as a snagger drowns, then becomes snagger almost drowns. Then we get all the untrue twists and turns of the unfortunate event. Happily the man is ok. After all is said and done it becomes another BBing & snagging debate. This forum seems to be a gentler more forgiving forum than the other one I frequent, and I hope it stays that way!
Lets not fall prey to " The greater sheep theory" and condem other fellow fishermen for doing something that they think is right and proper. I started BBing for springs on the Fraser, then changed my ways when an older more expierieced fisherman invited me to join him bar fishing. Instead of calling me names, he was non judgemental and showed me a better way! My point is this: If you have something of interest to post, please do! We all want to become better at our chosen sport and make it better for other fishermen as well. We wont acomplish that by labelling and name calling.Anger and discrimination are the winds that blow out the candle of reason.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2006, 11:15:28 PM »

I started BBing for springs on the Fraser, then changed my ways when an older more expierieced fisherman invited me to join him bar fishing. Instead of calling me names, he was non judgemental and showed me a better way! My point is this: If you have something of interest to post, please do! We all want to become better at our chosen sport and make it better for other fishermen as well. We wont acomplish that by labelling and name calling.Anger and discrimination are the winds that blow out the candle of reason.

Well said Bonanza. Calling people morons, beeks, flossers etc. seldom convinced people to change their methods.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2006, 07:02:35 AM »

Well said Bonanza. Calling people morons, beeks, flossers etc. seldom convinced people to change their methods.

We call them those names because deep deep down we really really really care about them.

trophyreels

• Save some for tommorrow
    • Trophy Reels
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2006, 12:56:32 AM »

Time to clear this up. Two men where crossing the river to close to the top of a pool that is ABOVE the Keith Wilson bridge. One man slips the other tries to grab him and falls also. The younger man gets washed past the eddy and gets out. The other guy who originally slipped gets hung up in the back eddy and despite people yelling at him to swim with the current he fights the current until he is exhausted and takes water in his lungs. He passes out and goes under to the bottom of the eddy and pops out behind it floating face down unconscious. A young man casts his hook at him getting him in the shoulder of his vest and pulled him close enough to grab him and pull him out. His face and his lips are purple and his eyes are in a fixed stare. Then this young man beats him on the back hard and repeatedly until a gush of water comes out of his mouth and he starts breathing again and his color comes back. How do I know this? This young man that reeled him in was my son and everything he did is exactly right. It is clear to me that many of you have no rescue or survival training. The first rule of rescue is “insure no danger or peril to oneself” This man was thrashing and panicking in a back eddy. Statistically the highest group of drown victims is panicking non-swimmers, the second largest group of drown victims are people trying to rescue panicking non-swimmers. The order of Canada was just given in absence to two dead would be drowning rescuers. The second rule of rescue is “you cant kill a dead person” “If no intervention is made will the victim die?” If the answer is yes then any attempts of rescue are encouraged. Even casting hooks! This man was unconscious and floating face down under the surface. My son casting and reeling him in took seconds and was a quick first response that worked. Knowing my son, if it did not work the second response would be to go in after him. Until you are faced with a life and death rescue as I have and as my son has you don’t know how you will react or what you will do. (I swam to the bottom of a cold fall river in the middle of a very dark night  to pull a woman out of the back seat of a sinking car) And as for ethical fishing methods please start another forum and leave it out of this discussion.

Thanks for letting me share this.
Ralph Martens
Trophy Reels   
 www.TrophyReels.com
 www.FishnReels.com

Fish for sport not for food
Keep one release two