Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagger Drowns.  (Read 14902 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Snagger Drowns.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 06:50:17 PM »

Disgusting ??? >:( >:(  I don't know what else to say.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »

luckily hes alive :-\
weeeeeeeeeow!

sliverbullet

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »

good thing his buddy had enough balls to jump in and save him

Pat AV

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 08:16:20 PM »

Quote myself:

"Lucky for him his buddy was there if all of the other guys down there were just trying to "snag him with their hooks" instead of rescuing him. The whole report is scarry on so many levels...."

I thought I was being harsh when I posted this reply to Bigfishers report.......... but looks like I am one of the nicer ones

Come on guys he looks like a young fellow in his pictures, go easy on him we were all young once.
I agree the post was poorly worded but don't rip into the kid I am sure he learned from the expirience.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 08:23:13 PM »

Yeah, don't beat on the guy... The person is very lucky to have such a good buddy.. but I must say.. snagging a person out of the water is one of the dumbest things.. I don't know how you could even post something like that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 08:24:58 PM by Youngin »

fishfinder

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 08:33:20 PM »

This is a freaking joke, to actually post and say you seen him sucked to the bootom and started casting hoping to snag the body is the most unbealivable thing I have ever herd(you should hang up your rod and go to the forrest gump school of ethics)

Come on, Forrest Gump was not too swift but he was ethical to the extreme. Forrest would have dove in with his waders on. ;D

4x4

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »

Ok.
Here is what happened today with the near drowning based on the info I got, including one of the people in this accident.

I wasn't there when this actually happened but I did show up later to fish a spot close to where this accident happened. I ran into a friend that was also fishing the spot above where this happened which is about 50 yds away. He witnessed most of it.

There was no rock bank unless BF meant  the edge of the pool. They were in the middle of the river where it is shallow then swept into a fast fairly narrow pool.
What happened was that these two fisherman went to move to a different spot. While doing this they lost their footing, couldn't get up and were swept into the pool. My friend saw the commotion from above and heard someone yell out if anyone knew CPR. My friend and 2 other fisherman fishing above suddenly knew something serious had happened (and all 3 know CPR) started running, shedding their clothes on the way to help. When they got their the fellow was already out of the pool and laying on his side. His lips and tongue were blue and his eyes were glazed over. He was probably very close to dying if he wasn't pulled out.
After we were done fishing I went back to my truck to change for the ride home. When I got into my vehicle I drove maybe 30 yards and recognized someone I knew.
I stopped to talk to him and he told me about the accident they had today. I told him a friend of mine told me about the accident and I was stunned that it was him and his uncle. He came from the Chilliwack hospital where his uncle was under observation and was being treated for shock and was about to get checked out to see if he had any water in his lungs.
The fisherman that I know that was involved in this accident was still very shaken up and emotional. I didn't ask him to many questions because he looked like he was in shock also. He didn't mention to me that he saved his uncle's life. I found this out from other people.

I know this fellow through the restaurant he manages the we have been eating at for 14 yrs. He is an avid fisherman. They were float fishing just like all the other gear guys in that pool.
BF, I'm assuming you used the term snaggers because everyone in that pool is fishing fast water with floats. They WERE NOT INTENTIONALLY SNAGGING. Just fishing like everyone else in that pool.

As far as I'm concerned, shame on people trying to snag the guy with their gear (even though I understand the thought process in a critical situation) instead of taking off the waders and boots and jumping in to help.

Dennyman, you won't make it shedding your waders in this situation. You still have to get your boots off and that is what's going to drown you. Not enough time in most cases.

This guy is alive because his nephew (based on was I was told) took his off his clothes  and dove in after him.
He did tell me that he was surprised that he couldn't get up in water that was only 1 1/2- 2ft deep.
Two years ago I pulled a older gentleman out of the river that had slipped in 2 ft of water and was within seconds of drowning. Today's events brought it all back to me and it's bothersome. None of us should EVER underestimate shallow running water.

Anyways, I'm going out of town for business for the next few days but when I'm back, I will be checking in with this fellow at the restaurant to see how they are both doing after this very scary and emotional ordeal.

I hope everyone keeps this thread in check and that we should all realize no matter how we fish  that a life was very close to being lost today and that this event has changed a few people lives forever. DON'T FORGET THAT. Everything else is secondary in these situations.
Just like everyone else on the river these two fisherman were out for a good day of doing something we all love to do and had an accident.

Regards

Dennis

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »

Rod, very well put.  Sam, only a F****** idiot would say something so callous.  Thanks yet again for your neverending wisdom.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 09:01:23 PM »

Sam Salmon, couldn't you have let 4X4 have the last word on this matter.  Your cheap shot was totally uncalled for.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 09:06:51 PM »

sam, get a frigging life!! that was certainly uncalled for.  Your posts are totally useless so shut the hell up.  Bigfisher, I suggest you use a better choice of words for your subject title.  Whether or not he was flossing is totally irrelevant to your story.  Someone with a family almost died there today.  How would you feel if it was your father or brother?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »

Why do people take tiny points of light on a computer screen so seriously?

Does anyone in their right mind think that anything posted anywhere here would have affected/will affect anything that happens in an overcrowded ditch like the Vedder?
This is a freaking joke, to actually post and say you seen him sucked to the bootom and started casting hoping to snag the body is the most unbealivable thing I have ever heard.....not only would you not have gottin him out if you snagged him, you most likley would have finnished him off when you clocked him with your 4 oz. beatty.
I relize the vedder is a put in and take out fishery, but..... enough is enough. give your head a shake and get a freaking life that does not include a race to get your limit...............the whole Lower Mainland fishing seen makes me want to puke!!!, and this is just another fine example.
My thoughts exactly!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 09:22:17 PM »

Why do some people feel the need to take useless, no-class shots at others using tiny points of light on a computer screen? ::)  Pretty sad.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »

So Sam, imagine youre his brother, or son and youre also a fisherman who reads this forum and you come across that post...really, how would you feel?  Thinking about other people on occasion isnt a bad thing.   

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »

Why do people take tiny points of light on a computer screen so seriously?

If you don't think its wrong to joke about something as serious as that then you are more of an insensitive jerk than I thought.

fishfinder

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 09:38:11 PM »

Thanks for the clarification 4x4. The uncle is indeed lucky his nephew had the wits about him to go in after him. The nephew is a real hero.

Wading is serious business and people need to realize the wading belt is there for a reason. I cringe every time I see people wade and they don’t have their wading belt tightened. I slipped once in two feet of water and the current swept me 100 yards before I could get my feet planted. What saved me was that I had tightened my wading belt so only the chest portion filled with water and just a tiny amount of water had gotten into the legs. Even in two feet of water panic can set in, especially if the water is cold. Now I never wade any deeper than my knees. A fish is not worth my life.

Bigfisher wrote in haste and used poor words. Perhaps he could take a cue from the other young members and try to write with more clarity. There is no need to dump on him any more.