Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagger Drowns.  (Read 14942 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Snagger Drowns.
« on: September 24, 2006, 12:09:45 PM »

Almost. Fishing the canal from first light and at around 10:30 a snagger falls into the 5 foot snagging guantlet and gets sucked under. Everyone starts hollering and I walk over and see a guy sucked to the bottom of the river, no one knows what to do and we all start trying to snag him with are hooks, hoping to pull him out, it didnt work. His body quickly undressed and dived in for him, and the lucky guy was pushed and pulled into shallow waters. He was faint, and a couple guy were on the phone with emergency, while me and another guy ran down to Kieth Wilson road to guide the ambulance to the location. Not sure what happened when I was gone, but I heard the guy was able to walk again, and when he was asked what happened, he did not remember a thing. Lucky man ideed, I was surprised that the current did not take him down stream, but instead straight to the bottom. Well interesting day, his fish were left on the beach, and there probably still there up for grabs. A nicely snagged 10 lb cogo , and 25 pound spring.  :( Nice day to be on the river.
The Bigger The Better!

fishfinder

Re: Snagger Drowns.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 12:16:38 PM »

Thanks for the interesting report, but how exactly did this guy fall in and where was he fishing at the KWB?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 12:39:30 PM »

500 meters below KBW, either the rock bank collapsed or he triped/ fell
The same snaggers are there every day getting there 4 salmon
The Bigger The Better!

Pat AV

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 01:03:06 PM »

Lucky for him his buddy was there if all of the other guys down there were just trying to "snag him with their hooks" instead of rescuing him. The whole report is scarry on so many levels....
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »

Lucky guy, sad story though he could have died.
How did he fall in exatcly?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 03:17:50 PM »

Inflatable, comfortable, stores a lot of gear. Valuable investment.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »

Snag him with hooks. . . yah im sure thats gona do alot of good cuz it so easy bring in a full grown man with a rod. ???
[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »

Nobody knew what to do, hes in the bottom of a fast tail out, they all had there waders on and would have easily been sucked down if they had attempted. Like I said his buddy and another guy were undressing and dove in after him, while the guys were trying to hook him and pull him out, may not sound smart, but everyone was in a panic and that was the best thing they came up with until the other guys undressed and dove in.
The Bigger The Better!

4x4

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

BigFisher,

You said 500 metres below KW Bridge. Towards the the freeway (that's what I'm thinking) or towards Yarrow?
If it was below, towards the freeway, then another almost drowning happened above the KW today.
This seems to coincidental.

Thx

Dennis

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 04:36:36 PM »

sorry I meant above, closer to yarrow
The Bigger The Better!

tnt

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »

Sounds like a bunch of snagging cowards to me!!! If it was your freind or yourself would you not risk missing a day of fishing to go home for a new set of clothes? pretty sad if you ask.
I think the competitive need to bring home more fish after a 30 day sockeye season is pretty sad. if you would just stop and help for a moment you might feel better than bringing home a load of snagged salmon :o
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 05:20:18 PM »

First of all, good to know everyone is going home safely after a day of fishing.

Secondly, does this title seem appropriate? Someone almost drowned. Nice 180 degrees flip on the attitude after the sockeye season ended, Bigfisher. I fail to see how one has the nerve to label some fishermen as snaggers when they are simply employing the method that you have been using on the Fraser last month. What is the difference between the coho and chinook that he caught and the coho, sockeye and chinook that you caught this summer (by the way, retention of coho salmon has not been permitted on the Fraser River this year)? Would you like me start referring you as a Fraser River snagger, or the guy who lives by the Vedder and didn't show up to the cleanup? No I bet, and I won't. I do not intend to create an environment where people would sit behind the computer and generalize, label and shame others. This way of thinking is only creates further division in the fishing community and does not result positively. How on earth can anyone do one thing, turn around and condemn someone else doing the exact same thing? Such double standard I do not understand. If this is your approach to solving the ongoing problems on the Vedder River, I suggest that you take it to other forums. It's disgusting, please stop.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 05:59:42 PM »

50 pound braid wont do dick, your going to hall in a say 200 pound person with all there gear on , water logged to boot, rod will break, plus what i think of when people are trying to snag this guy, is what if a hook gets stuck on his face, or rips into his throat and bleeds to death or hooked anywhere, not a cool idea, if i was there i wouldn't have thought twice, i would have just taken my waders off and jumped in right away

I think I was at the run of where it happened because I over heard guys tallking about it, and if I'm not mistaken, one of our fwr members was standing in the exact spot :P
It's a shallow pool that goes straight down in to a deep one.. Not a pretty one to fall in.  You gotta to be fast to save a guy in there...  Didn't see it tho.. I got to the river at about 1 pm because I was working late last night.. or today morning :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 06:04:23 PM by Youngin »

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 06:41:59 PM »

For this topic I will get off my lurking chair and coment on. This is a freaking joke, to actually post and say you seen him sucked to the bootom and started casting hoping to snag the body is the most unbealivable thing I have ever herd(you should hang up your rod and go to the forrest gump school of ethics).not only would you not have gottin him out if you snagged him, you most likley would have finnished him off when you clocked him with your 4 oz. beatty.
I relize the vedder is a put in and take out fishery, but like Rod said, after a summer of gong shows on the Fraser . enough is enough. give your head a shake and get a freaking life that does not include a race to get your limit...............the whole Lower Mainland fishing seen makes me want to puke!!!, and this is just another fine example.
Back to the lurking chair once again!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 06:46:48 PM »

Good to hear that this fisherman only suffered a close call, as it could have been a lot worse.  I do agree if a person is not a good swimmer the inflatable fishing vest is probably something to check out.  But other things to keep in mind is that if you do take a spill in the water, try to keep your emotions under control. Do not panic.  Take a deep breath , and release your quick release snaps on your waders, assuming the person was wearing waders. And shed your waders, and swim to shore. However, if things happen so fast that you cannot shed your waders all is not lost. Roll on to your back, kick your legs up and use your arms to back crawl to shore.  By doing this you will prevent water from flooding your waders and dragging you under.