Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunshine coast fishing questions  (Read 7630 times)

Tinhat

Sunshine coast fishing questions
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »

Does anyone have any experience or advice for shore (and just off shore by boat) fishing up around Sechelt / Smugglers Cove area of the Sunshine Coast. I will be fishing with kids so not for food necessarily (well maybe a crab or two) but mainly just for fun, I have heard of good Lingcod fishing and also flounder and crab. If anyone has any good advice on lures, line weight etc. I would appreciate your advice as this will be my first time fishing the area, if it was just me I would try and learn myself and enjoy the hours but with having kids the patience factor will play a part which is the main reason for me asking.

Best Regards and thanks in advance  :)

Tinhat

Tinhat

Re: Sunshine coast fishing questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »

Thanks Bren,

I had not even thought about that, what size rod and line weight would you use for dogfish?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »

My "go to" lure for all salt water scoundrels is a 3 inch extra heavy Buzz Bomb (3XH) pearl white with blue stripe. Fished on light spinning rod 12 to 15 lb test line. Good for bottom fish too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

The piers at Sechelt are populated with several perch species during the warm months. The most abundant and visible ones are shiner perch, which are also the easiest to catch as long as a small hook is used. They're not big, but suitable for kids. Occasionally bigger species such as pile and striped perch would show up. They're bigger, but also more selective when feeding. They also have a tendency to swim in slightly deeper water column. Big flounders are occasionally caught in deeper water, either with bait or rubber jigs. In the shallow water, you can spot small flatfish (soles and flounders) swimming around at times. This August pike salmon would also be travelling along the shoreline of sechelt. Also take a look at some of the freshwater (lake) fisheries that sunshine coast has to offer.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

Pike salmon ? ;D

Tinhat

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »

Thanks everyone for the good advice, i appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Rod.... I have never heard of "Pike Salmon" what are they??

Regards,

Tinhat

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

Some new mutated species obviously. ;D

Sorry, pink salmon. :-[

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:58:13 AM »

we used to go out to smugglers cove and fish for rockfish off the rocks there. You could also get some very good sized sole. If you walk out to the entance of the cove there is a large rock face ...well its all one rock face up there i guess....but it is a good spot. We also used to gorge ourselves on oysters...pick some on the way to the spot and bbq them. Not sure if i would recomend that now.
Also we would sometimes just hand fish rock fish off of the ferry pier on the sunshine coast. The method was to pick some mussels , use those as bait for shiners and use the shiners as bait for the rock fish. This would usually end up with us taking at least 3-4 restaraunt size fish home per trip . It would get really exciting as usually you would spot at least one or two ling cod per trip. One time i was even sent down to try and land one by hand. It was the first time i had ever seen one and when it opened its mouth i almost shat myself! They have since made fishing off the ferry pier illeagel...maybe it was always illegal but now there are signs posted for no fishing. we haven't hand fished there in probably 5 -7 years.

Tinhat

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »

Wow 30lb test... I was thinking of using 15 with a 12lb leader.

So buzzbombs, silver flashies, herring, anchovy and sharp hooks seems to be the order of the day..... here fishy fishy fishy :-)

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »

TinHat
here is a loacal report
note lingcod closure
and check out rock cod closures too
http://www.user.dccnet.com/fishingsechelt/fishingreport%20.htm

Tinhat

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »

Thanks guys... thats a great link Britguy I might stop in the Trail bay store for a chat, they sound very helpful.... mind you I always end up buying something, better go in alone  ;)