Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Stream Flow Advisory  (Read 6071 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
High Stream Flow Advisory
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »

High Streamflow Advisory: South Coast, including:
o   Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley
o   Metro Vancouver
o   Howe Sound
•      Vancouver Island
Issued: 05January2009 6:30PM
The BC River Forecast Centre is issuing a High Streamflow Advisory for the South Coast, including Metro Vancouver, the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley, Howe Sound, and Vancouver Island. 
An intense warm and wet frontal system, with a subtropical moisture feed, is approaching the South Coast.  It is anticipated to arrive overnight tonight, bringing rain Tuesday and with heavy rain beginning Tuesday afternoon or evening.  Current forecasts indicate the heavy rainfall will persist though the day Wednesday and lasting into Thursday morning.  Environment Canada has issued a “Special Weather Statement”, and is anticipating releasing Rainfall Warnings in the next few hours.   
Rainfall amounts in the current weather forecast from Environment Canada are very significant, with as much as 80-100+ mm of rain for Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland over 36-48 hours, and as much as 100-150 mm for the Fraser Valley (Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Hope, etc.), and into Howe Sound (Squamish, Pemberton).  With the south-westerly flow of this system, mountainous areas along the North Shore (West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, etc.) may receive heavier rain.  Lesser amounts of rain are anticipated for south and east Vancouver Island (Nanaimo, Parksville, Duncan, Victoria).
Along with the rainfall, temperatures will warm significantly and the freezing elevation through the South Coast mountains will rise to about 2000 metres by early Wednesday, generating snowmelt.  It is expected to remain elevated until Thursday.  The cold weather of the past three weeks has allowed considerable snow to accumulate down to near sea level along the South Coast.  This snow will melt rapidly with the arrival of the warm front.  Most of the snow up to 800-1000 metres elevation is anticipated to melt by Thursday morning, adding considerable snowmelt water to rivers and streams.
Despite the presence of snow down to sea level in the South Coast, the accumulation of snowpack in the mountains is well below normal.  Current snow measurements at the Chilliwack River automated snow pillow is near its record low level of the past 18 years of record.  Some of the higher elevation snow along the South Coast may melt as well, add to flows in rivers.
In addition, the prolonged period of cold weather along the South Coast will have resulted in some areas of frozen soil.  This reduces the potential for infiltration of rain and snowmelt water into the soil, and may result in more rapid runoff in some areas.
The magnitude of the forecast rainfall combined with the duration of the rain and snowmelt are will result in significant increases in river levels throughout the South Coast.  Small creeks and streams in the Lower Mainland, Fraser valley, North Shore mountains, and along the Sea-To-Sky corridor in Howe Sound will begin to rise by later Tuesday or early Wednesday.  They will rise until at least early Thursday, depending on when the heavy rain eases.  With the heavy snow accumulations down to low elevation, localized high water and flooding is likely.
Rivers on the lowland areas of the Fraser valley (such as the Nicomekl R., Serpentine R., in Langley and Surrey), will rise quickly Wednesday and may possibly reach flood stage.  Tidal rivers such as the Nicomekl River will have peaks coincident with their high tides, near noon on Wednesday and approaching the 4AM high tide Thursday.
Larger rivers such as the Chilliwack, Stave, Coquitlam, Seymour, Squamish, etc. will all begin to rise late Tuesday and will peak no earlier than mid-day Thursday.  They are all expected to show significant stage increases.
Lesser rainfall amounts are forecast for Vancouver Island.  However, the combination of rain and snowmelt will produce rises in river levels and possibly localized high water and ponding, particularly on the south Island (Parksville to Victoria). 
This is expected to be a very significant high flow event. 
The River Forecast Centre will provide an update by noon Tuesday, or earlier if necessary.

4th Floor, 395 Waterfront Crescent, Victoria  BC V8W 9M2
PO Box 9362 STN PROV GOVT
Tel:  250-387-9472,  Fax:  250-356-1202

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: High Stream Flow Advisory
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »

The Chilliwack Vedder River should be OK as all the gravel excavation they have been doing the last few years including last year, 2008  will prevent any flooding. :-\

That is what the politicans keep telling us anyway. :-X

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »

I am just hoping that I do not have river front or lake front property again. At least this time we have a new pump installed in the crawl space. Just need to point the hose in the right direction  ;) so that it leaves our yard.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

river walker

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »

;)  fly guy got mail
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »

I am not sure how bad flows will get on the Vedder during this melt at it usually takes a warm wind above 10 C with the heavy rain (Pineapple Express) to cause flood conditions.

At this time there is no wind and it is only 3 C and besides the snow should soak up a lot of moisture delaying the melt some what. I will check river condition later today but no jump in the river gauge yet.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »

3~5 feet of snow at 3C this rain only becomes ice and it's not doing a good job of melting those snow.

Buck_wife

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »

Hey CG, lemme know if you need a place to stay dry....  :o
I guess living on a hill isn't so bad after all, since all you "lowly" people get the run off!!  ;) ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »

I guess living on a hill isn't so bad after all, since all you "lowly" people get the run off!!  ;) ;D

Your house is likely to get washed out first  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »

River still clear a few minutes ago.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »

Well I guess the river has started to back up by my place as the wife just phoned to say the street drains have stopped working and yes they have been cleared. I am hoping the high tide was the reason for this other wise I guess I should of brought my waders to work as I think I am going to need them to get to the door.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »

Chris was 4 degrees at around 8000 feet today flying home  ::)  I would say that there will be snow melt. Also thermo. is truck reads 8 right now. Looks like it will be bad pretty quick here. Figures, get home, can't wait to fish, and this happens.  ::)  O well, time to explore a new river in a week  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »

8 C at this time with a wind and heavy rain. Large puddles every where on the way home from badminton with some cars stalling out in the new lakes along the roadways.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »

Vedder about .7 from the high it has reached the last two years. I have never seen the creek so high behind our place in the last 30 years.

Forget about fishing the next while.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »

The same with the creek by our place. It is just about over it's banks. The pump in the crawl space has been coming on every now and then keeping it dry.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »

Wow that got to be a sight to see!!  I'm only 5min away from Stave R. it's still same water level.