Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your favourite monofilament lines for baitcasting reels.  (Read 7962 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Your favourite monofilament lines for baitcasting reels.
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »

Someone at home misplaced my big service spool of 12lb test Daiwa Samurai Green monofilament line. It's a great casting line, doesn't have much memory, but it has only decent strength.  As a result, I will probably have to buy some new line for my Ambassadeur C3 baitcasting reel. I've used Berkley Big Game and Silver Thread. I'll have to say Silver Thread is the toughest and most reliable.

What monofilament lines do you recommend for baitcasting reels?

I'm quite old school and I have no plans to use any braided lines.

jump14

Re: Your favourite monofilament lines for baitcasting reels.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

I’'ve had great luck here with Suffix Elite. Its pretty good for low memory and pretty strong too. I run 20lb for Chinook and have yet to have a problem with my abu 6000 and also run 17lb Suffix Elite on my Penn 940 for Coho. Reasonably priced and I just like the feel. I'm like you, I'm not a braid guy. I used to run Big Game and Trilene but I've just found a perosonal fav with suffix. To each their own right?

farky

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »

maxima ultragreen

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »

That Suffix elite is pretty nice stuff, but my goto line is now P-Line CX Premium in the moss green.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »

The best by test , maxima ultragreen . I've started with that because that's what everyone told me to use . Little expensive though I think . Soon I'll start using other lines and compare .

Suffix brand does look nice and I got they're braided line cheap and it's comparable to tufline .

yakideath12

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:53 AM »

surfix.

1son

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »

maxima ultragreen does the trick for me ;D

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »

i only use maxima ultra green, for mono.
how ever i enjoy seaguar florocarbon line quite a bit for spin chuckin.
Tight lines to all

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »

Someone at home misplaced my big service spool of 12lb test Daiwa Samurai Green monofilament line. It's a great casting line, doesn't have much memory, but it has only decent strength.  As a result, I will probably have to buy some new line for my Ambassadeur C3 baitcasting reel. I've used Berkley Big Game and Silver Thread. I'll have to say Silver Thread is the toughest and most reliable.

Lot of Ultragreen recommendations, which is indeed a nice line. But I think you've already listed one of the best bang-for-buck lines in Big Game. Much cheaper than Ultragreen and very strong, though I suspect they underrate the lb test, so maybe dont use it to chase IGFA records...

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »

I used Ultragreen exclusively in the past but since last season, I've been using Izorline.  Its a very popular line down south, has lower memory than ultragreen, low vis, thin diameter and very strong.  I'm very picky about my main lines and so far it has not failed me.  Best of all, its about 1/3 the price of ultragreen.  I have all my reels spooled up with it now.

Blue_Fox

• Eat, Run, Fish, Sleep.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »

I've never used Maxima Ultragreen on my reels, due to the high price of the monofilament. I could not imagine paying such a high price for monofilament when it felt pretty much the same with the same colour as my Daiwa Samurai Green mono when I touched some parts of the line with my hands and finger. The price must be the fact that it's Made in Germany and all the hype of the line back in the 1980's and early 90's.

I'll consider Izorline if I go down to the States. How much is it for a 1/4 lb spool?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »

I've never used Maxima Ultragreen on my reels, due to the high price of the monofilament. I could not imagine paying such a high price for monofilament when it felt pretty much the same with the same colour as my Daiwa Samurai Green mono when I touched some parts of the line with my hands and finger. The price must be the fact that it's Made in Germany and all the hype of the line back in the 1980's and early 90's.

I'll consider Izorline if I go down to the States. How much is it for a 1/4 lb spool?

I think it was about 9 or 10 bucks for a 1/4 lb spool of 12lb.  Thats about 1100 yards.

I think you are correct that maxima is made in Germany, hence the high price.  Izorline from what I heard is made in Taiwan on some of the most technologically advanced machines.  I went down to three rivers marine and was looking for ultragreen, but the salesperson there told me to try Izorline instead.  I was skeptical at first but because of the price, I said what the heck, if I didn't like it I could just take it off and put ultragreen on.  Been using it since and have had no issues with strength or breakage. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

I think it was about 9 or 10 bucks for a 1/4 lb spool of 12lb.  Thats about 1100 yards.

I think you are correct that maxima is made in Germany, hence the high price.  Izorline from what I heard is made in Taiwan on some of the most technologically advanced machines.  I went down to three rivers marine and was looking for ultragreen, but the salesperson there told me to try Izorline instead.  I was skeptical at first but because of the price, I said what the heck, if I didn't like it I could just take it off and put ultragreen on.  Been using it since and have had no issues with strength or breakage. 

Yep - I've seen him use it and he seems to like it!  I'm still stuck with ultragreen.  Usually costs me around 15 bucks or so to spool up.  I guess it's time for a "run for the border"!

Blue_Fox

• Eat, Run, Fish, Sleep.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

Stratocaster, what kind of Izorline are you using?

XXX Super Co-Polymer, Platinum Clear, First String Monofilament, or First String Heavy-Duty Monofilament?

I do have quite a bit of trust with the newer makes of monofilament lines out on the market right now.  Although monofilament line technology seems to change ever so slowly, and it makes little sense to use old products with old technology when there are better and more affordable products out there.

I'm considering getting 12lb test and I'll fishing with it with traditional bass lures.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:17:32 PM by Blue_Fox »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »

Stratocaster, what kind of Izorline are you using?

XXX Super Co-Polymer, Platinum Clear, First String Monofilament, or First String Heavy-Duty Monofilament?

I do have quite a bit of trust with the newer makes of monofilament lines out on the market right now.  Although monofilament line technology seems to change ever so slowly, and it makes little sense to use old products with old technology when there are better and more affordable products out there.

I'm considering getting 12lb test and I'll fishing with it with traditional bass lures.

Platinum co-polymer green