Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to adjust Luna 253 cast control?  (Read 1545 times)

SanQ

How to adjust Luna 253 cast control?
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »

Got a luna 253 from member on here. Nice little reel. Had a luna 300 before. But 253 has a MC Control dial on the left side of the reel(right handed reel).And it also has a normal spool tightness control on the right side. What is the difference? Use both? I'm confused.

Any reply is appreciated

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: How to adjust Luna 253 cast control?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:30:10 AM »

I too have a Lune 253. I haven't used it in a few years much, but it is a very good quality reel.  Congrats on your acquisition.

Yes, the braking system that is built into the spool is designed to help prevent back-lashes during the cast (i.e. mid flight).  It does work, but it may limit the distance of the cast - although this shouldn't matter much for short distance casts.  However, nothing beats thumb control.  Once you become proficient casting with a levelwind and can master thumb control, you're set!

One thing about the Luna 253.  I found that my anti-reverse clutch started failing.  I would have to take it apart and clean it out, which would fix the problem.  But after a few trips, I noticed it would fail again (when you have a coho on the line, this can be very irritating!).

Good luck with the reel.  I hope this helps - not that I should know very much about baitcasters if you read my handle...LOL.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:41:39 AM »

--Set MC at zero or least number setting then adjust using spool tightness control...usually so that lure weight just holds without dropping or slow drop.
--Fine tune using MC...you could set it a highest then eventually back off toward zero once you get the feel of casting it.

--if you think it isn't working for you just take a look at outtakes of the pro's casting...there is a reason tournament guys have more than one rod/reel set up on board.

sugartooth

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »

The MC control will slow down the initial inertia of the spool to prevent backlashes. When I’m casting 2/5 spoons I have it set minus  2 from center. The spool tensioner will slow the spool down at the end of your cast. I have this set so that if I try to rock the spool from side to side with my thumb there is no movement. The spool tensioner is less important if you thumb your spool and stop it as your spoon or float hits the water. Play with it when on the water and you’ll be able to fine tune it.

SanQ

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »

thanks for all the answers!