Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would the fishermen react...  (Read 8359 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: How would the fishermen react...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »

I have fished before with a slung shotgun. This was up in the Terrace area during the September / October run of northern coho.

When you are fishing the Skeena / Lakelse / Exstew / Copper / Exchamsiks; the Grizzlies are as plentiful as the coho !! We were hiking the river, as we did not have the luxury and safety of a boat. There were many locals who claimed that NOT taking a shotgun was dangerous. After a number of trips up there, I have to agree. I never had an issue with any CO / DFO / RCMP who happened to come by.

Thanks, I'm encouraged.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

Anyone who has a shotgun fishing in public has their PAL, and is probably a responsible person. I'd be friend him/her and shoot the cupcakes about guns.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »

Even though I have my restricted and non-restricted PAL, I don't pack heat on the river.
All I need is a barbless fly anyway.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

Good luck with that barbless fly against something wild with teeth.

TNAngler

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »

In all honesty, it isn't the gun that would cause me issues.  Some guys just have the look of someone that isn't completely stable and I avoid these people if at all possible but would do so even more if they had a shotgun over their shoulder.  Any normal person, I wouldn't care at all.  I would figure you were hunting birds and just didn't have a place to drop it off or using it to keep bears away if we were in an area where that was a problem.

Actually, I guess it depends on the location.  If you are going to one of the meat markets where fishermen are everywhere and there is no obvious hunting nearby, I might put you more into that "probably not completely stable" part and get out of there before some guy casting over your line causes you to lose your best fish of the day and things get ugly.  Out in the less populated areas, not a big deal.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »

Right, over his shoulder. Not shooting at fish, that's illegal.
Well what he is doing is going hunting after going fishing and some of the areas where the fishing is good, the hunting is good too ;)

As long it is a non restricted firearm, perfectly legal. 

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »

This is my favourite response:

I would tell him about the big flock of Geese I just seen down the road and when he leaves,quietly stand on the rock that he was on and then start doing Tarzan calls while beating my chest.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »

It seems odd these days but was common 40 years ago that anglers would have a shot gun in case of a good chance to shoot ducks or even the odd seal.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »

I would probably just sit there having a coffee. We all have our methods of getting a little extra "room" on the river. Some guys bring their pets.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »

I would probably just sit there having a coffee. We all have our methods of getting a little extra "room" on the river. Some guys bring their pets.

Yuck,yuck,yuck. Thanx for this. Im going out to the Vedd this afternoon, any chance of borrowing your pet?

Ian Forbes

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »

Yuck,yuck,yuck. Thanx for this. Im going out to the Vedd this afternoon, any chance of borrowing your pet?

Ivan is a little sluggish this morning. He just ate a few neighbourhood dogs that were pilfering from my garbage cans. That run on the Skeena above was crowded with anglers just before we got there.

brownmancheng

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »

Lol lol nice

banx

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

I've come across many fishermen carrying shotties up north.  like c-pin said

If we went to the tseax, copper, or some other shhhh skeena tribs we had a shotty. and we all have our pal and restricted.  ran into CO's regularly and they would only ask how the fishing was.  They understood why a gun was present.

usually brought dogs too.  and the best part about walking through the dark bush before dawn is that your sense of smell is pretty good.  you can smell a grizz from a decent distance.  so if your walking down a trail and it stinks...... you know whats there.  my dogs hackles would come up too if he sniffed one walkin a trail....  also common stuff like an absence of birds chirping or other animal life.  complete silence is not a good thing in the bush.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »

I've come across many fishermen carrying shotties up north.  like c-pin said

If we went to the tseax, copper, or some other shhhh skeena tribs we had a shotty. and we all have our pal and restricted.  ran into CO's regularly and they would only ask how the fishing was.  They understood why a gun was present.

usually brought dogs too.  and the best part about walking through the dark bush before dawn is that your sense of smell is pretty good.  you can smell a grizz from a decent distance.  so if your walking down a trail and it stinks...... you know whats there.  my dogs hackles would come up too if he sniffed one walkin a trail....  also common stuff like an absence of birds chirping or other animal life.  complete silence is not a good thing in the bush.

Good post, Banx. The absence of bird songs is a warning.

fishbandit66

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 01:13:33 PM »

Could happen very easily if someone is hitting some ducks at first light and fishing later (or vice-versa).

You don't want to leave your gun in the truck if you can't drop it off at home.

Yes with all the break ins we keep hearing about by the Vedder it's safer to carry than leave in the truck.