Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Light centerpin rod suggestions  (Read 8356 times)

Tommybuckles

Light centerpin rod suggestions
« on: April 27, 2013, 04:29:45 PM »

Hey there,

Looking for some suggestions for a new centerpin rod. I'm looking to go light and pair it up with a 4 inch bushing centerpin. I would be using it mainly on small systems and targeting coho. If I'm lucky I might hook up with the odd steelhead as well. Some different opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Light centerpin rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »

Do you have a price range , custom or factory built ?

Tommybuckles

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »

I wouldn't say I have a specific price range, but would like to stay factory built or would be willing to buy a custom built one second hand

steely02

• Quinn
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »

I have a shimano clarus. It's a nice light rod for a hundred bucks. Only thing is it only comes in 11'3 and 13'

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

If you can find a used Sage 2106L, it makes a really good coho or summer steelhead rod.

joshhowat

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »

I second 2106lb

Edit: if you get any fish 15 and over your going to be out gunned to land it in a timely fashion.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:30:06 PM by joshhowat »
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »

I second 2106lb

Edit: if you get any fish 15 and over your going to be out gunned to land it in a timely fashion.
I think the 2106l is the best possible rod for lower mainland steelhead and coho; fast, light and responsive for most any fish other than large chinooks. I wouldn't trade mine for anything ... well OK, maybe a few things ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »

I had a lot of fun at the cap by using my 1106lb. Seen a few guys were using the 4106llb and 1106llb too .Grab one if you can,you won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:46:58 PM by BIG T »

Tommybuckles

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »

Thanks for all the quick replies. I will keep my eyes open for a sage, but from the sounds of it not too many people are probably willing to part with one.

Anyone out there tried or recommended a light g.loomis or Lamiglas?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »

Anyone out there tried or recommended a light g.loomis or Lamiglas?

Lamiglas Dave Vedder center pin rod,medium light .6-10 or 8-12 lb line rated. is cheaper than a sage rods. But i like sage myself.

Pin-nook

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

I had a lot of fun at the cap by using my 1106lb. Seen a few guys were using the 4106llb and 1106llb too .Grab one if you can,you won't be disappointed.

A buddy of mine uses a custom Sage 4106LLB and uses it for coho in smaller systems and man does it ever have power for a soft rod. It's handled some big cohos as well as a few steelhead as a bi-catch but when you see the bend you can't imagine there's any power left but you still have control over fish. Makes want to buy a blank but I finally got my 3113LB done and now my 3106LB is in the shop getting a handle face lift and already have a bunch of other rods covering a variety of different fishing situations.

There are a bunch of Forecast and Rainshadow blanks that would be good for what you are looking for. If I could find an 11' GLX for cheap and have it stripped down and built the way I want it matched with a bearing 4" Centerpin that would be my ideal little stream rod!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:03 AM »

I have the Lami tied up 8-12lb rating, perfect rod, feels exactly like a 2106lb, but its physically lighter in hand. The 6-10lb is LIGHT, tough to get solid hook sets because of the major flex in the rod.
Fish killer 101

Carich980

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 06:54:40 AM »

I second 2106lb

Sage 2106L

Ive landed many fish up to 20 and a few over 20 on my 2106L and never once felt out gunned. Even in High heavy flows, it puts a serious bend in the rod but they can land fish up to 20lbs easily.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

If I was catching 20lbers that often I would buy a lottery ticket and be fishing a different rod.  :o  Cus to me you are seriously under gunned with a 2106lb and a 20lb steelhead/coho/chinook. Ya it all depends on where you caught it and what line you were using, and how long you played it... But TommyB here is looking for a LIGHT coho and possibly steelhead rod. I suspecting capilano blue backs and vedder river fall run fish. Not skeena river hogs.
Fish killer 101

joshhowat

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »

Sage 2106L

Ive landed many fish up to 20 and a few over 20 on my 2106L and never once felt out gunned. Even in High heavy flows, it puts a serious bend in the rod but they can land fish up to 20lbs easily.

When I used my 3106lb and a Manx running 12# ug this year for one day on the T and hooked 4 fish under 20#. I felt like a little kid holding onto a spinning rod with a big vedder white on the end. Ya I could land it, if I wanted to spend all day at.

I guess if your catching big wet socks it will be fine. But thats no fun.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.