Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gotta catch me one of these "Ivory Kings"  (Read 8370 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Gotta catch me one of these "Ivory Kings"
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »

If the flesh colour differences are primarily the result of diet rather than being two varieties of one species, then how is it possible for a population of chinook salmon to retain the same flesh colour one generation after another? How is it possible for each generation to feed on the exact same food source in the Pacific Oceans that result in the same flesh colour? Finally, why does the same distinct colour differences not occur in other salmonid species?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »

Everyone is half right.

Flesh colour can be determined by what the fish eat in the ocean (or elsewhere), however with springs this is not the case.

White and red springs live in the same water and eat the same fish/invertebrates, etc. Red flesh happens because of the ability to absorb carotenoids into the flesh. White springs do not have this ability to deposit the carotenoids, and therefore the flesh stays a white colour. Marbles occur because the fish can deposit the carotenoids into certain areas of flesh but not others, hence why marbles appear blotchy and uneven (normally) in their distribution of white and red meat (sometimes only back half of fish, sometimes along spinal cord, etc).

Good to see you are not just fishing over there ED ;)

t-bone

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »

the only keeper white spring i caught was in campbell river. it was good smoking. i have caught hundreds of whites on the fraser and wouldn't keep one, they stink regardless of color.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »

An ocean-caught white spring beats a red one anytime in the flavour and texture department.
It is by far, the best tasting salmon.

Those of you basing your preferences on LML river caught salmon are right, however. There is something in white springs that turns them into inferior table-fare once they hit fresh water, and it seems this is particularly true of the Harrison (Vedder) fish.

That said, some Fraser caught whiteys can taste exceptionally good as long as they are caught within hours of making it into the system, but it's hard to determine their river of origin without a DNA test.

Just my 2 centavos...

yoda

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »

sounds like a lot of george castandza's on this post, but like the crowd yelled on that episode of senfeld, is there a marine biologist????, or just a lot of hole in one wannabe's??? maybe someone with knowledge could clear this up??

Schenley

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »

Yup-- a whole lot of opinions ( which are fine)  but they are NOT factual.  A whole bunch of taste tests and fat content studies show virtually NO difference in blind taste tests.

Get over it boys-- ALL salmon are great if properly cooked...... yes --even stinkies!!!  :D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »

sounds like a lot of george castandza's on this post, but like the crowd yelled on that episode of senfeld, is there a marine biologist????, or just a lot of hole in one wannabe's??? maybe someone with knowledge could clear this up??

Clear what up?
Why do you need a Marine Biology Degree holder to settle a difference in opinion about the taste of fish?

All you need is to have some experience under the belt catching them, cooking them and eating them to draw some conclusions.
It's a fact: Non-tidal Harrison white springs (which are the same strain as the Vedder whites - and I don't need a degree to know that) stink and taste foul compared to their red counterparts.
Ocean caught whites, OTOH, taste gloriously good! Many repeated home and field tests have proven this beyond any doubt. ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »

Clear what up?
Why do you need a Marine Biology Degree holder to settle a difference in opinion about the taste of fish?

All you need is to have some experience under the belt catching them, cooking them and eating them to draw some conclusions.
It's a fact: Non-tidal Harrison white springs (which are the same strain as the Vedder whites - and I don't need a degree to know that) stink and taste foul compared to their red counterparts.
Ocean caught whites, OTOH, taste gloriously good! Many repeated home and field tests have proven this beyond any doubt. ;D

Would you say your experience is "opinion" or "science"?   ;D 
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

Neither.
It is called EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.  ;)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »

Neither.
It is called EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.  ;)

Well you did tell us on the internet......    so it must be true!   :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Tofino Osprey Lodge

• Tofino Osprey Lodge
    • Tofino Osprey Lodge
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »

An ocean-caught white spring beats a red one anytime in the flavour and texture department.
It is by far, the best tasting salmon.

Those of you basing your preferences on LML river caught salmon are right, however. There is something in white springs that turns them into inferior table-fare once they hit fresh water, and it seems this is particularly true of the Harrison (Vedder) fish.

That said, some Fraser caught whiteys can taste exceptionally good as long as they are caught within hours of making it into the system, but it's hard to determine their river of origin without a DNA test.

Just my 2 centavos...

I've caught and ate many white Springs caught on the WCVI and they are great! I have many clients that prefer them to the Reds.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »

I'm a BSc in Fisheries... just told you what the diff between white and reds are.
On the other hand for taste, not sure you need a degree to figure it out.
Out of the fish I've caught, I prefer red spring over any salmon. White are only good for smoking unless caught form the ocean.
And yes I can tell the difference between red and whites in taste.

chromer

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »

I'm a BSc in Fisheries... just told you what the diff between white and reds are.
On the other hand for taste, not sure you need a degree to figure it out.
Out of the fish I've caught, I prefer red spring over any salmon. White are only good for smoking unless caught form the ocean.
And yes I can tell the difference between red and whites in taste.

Well spoken. Like I said earlier I have caught whites up in the QCIs and really wanted them to be great but after trying a piece I ended up giving all the meat from 2- 30lbs. fish  away to freinds and family. I can also taste the difference and prefer red spring over any other salmon. I even had some done up profesionally into indian candy and in the packages the white and red were inter mixed and the red indian candy was way better than the white in flavour, texture and moisture.

yoda

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »

sorry everyday, didn't know you had some experience in the field. here's a helpful site on the question. go to livingrivers.ca and punch up learn, scroll to difference in whites and reds.

those whites they trans planted to the vedder, chehalis, and harrison are another story, i usually only keep ones destined for the upper waters of the fraser. and if you catch one in the lower fraser, smell it first, they have a definitive smell to them. i call them risks to maintaining your marriage, i brought one home once, was told not to do it again.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »

Yoda, the white chinooks in the CV are from Harrison River stock.  To my knowledge there have been no transplants to the Harrison from other chinook stocks.  Interesting though, after fewer than 10 generations, geneticists see a difference in DNA between the donor stock and CV chinook. 8)