Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly or Spey in Lillooet for Sockeye  (Read 3741 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Fly or Spey in Lillooet for Sockeye
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »

Hey gents was thinking of taking my spey or single hander up to Lillooet to try and get some sockeye instead of the gong down in Hope. Just wondering if any of you have some advice as to location? The mouth of the Seton River looks pretty inviting and have heard of guys fly fishing from Lillooet for them. Any patterns would help as well or do they have to be flossed there?  I was thinking Squamish poacher type patterns in bright orange or chartreuse? Feel free to PM me or email @ derekerlandson@live.com.....

Thanks
Derek
always a student

BBarley

Re: Fly or Spey in Lillooet for Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »

I don't know much about the location your fishing at, but I would say use the spey rod over the single hander any day.

I use a 12'6" Sage TCR 8 weight that punches out 20 feet of T-14 with ease, not to mention the extra length helps you high-stick the tip on the swing.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »

Sent you a pm.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »

Thanks BwiBwi! really appreciated......
always a student

hickman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »

Hi Dereke...
I was looking at the Seton and PowerHouse inflow last weekend. The water is nice & clear and fairly slow moving in spots. Nobody was fishing there except a couple of guys that moved to the other side of the river to get their quota. I talked to DFO up there and they said that the West side of the river (Seton/ Cayoosh inflow) is not that productive for sockeye. In that particular area they seem to travel on the east side of the Fraser. Having said that I still believe that it would be a great spot to fly-fish, especially close to the Powerchannel... there are nice eddies and holding spots.
If I go up this weekend, I will certainly take my fly rod and try it out. You need the fly rod anyway for some trout fun on the Cayoosh!

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »

Hi Dereke...
I was looking at the Seton and PowerHouse inflow last weekend. The water is nice & clear and fairly slow moving in spots. Nobody was fishing there except a couple of guys that moved to the other side of the river to get their quota. I talked to DFO up there and they said that the West side of the river (Seton/ Cayoosh inflow) is not that productive for sockeye. In that particular area they seem to travel on the east side of the Fraser. Having said that I still believe that it would be a great spot to fly-fish, especially close to the Powerchannel... there are nice eddies and holding spots.
If I go up this weekend, I will certainly take my fly rod and try it out. You need the fly rod anyway for some trout fun on the Cayoosh!
Well, any reports for us. How did it go.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

hickman

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »

I found it hard with the fly on the Fraser, even at the inflows around Lillooet. The water is just too fast and I could not get the fly deep enough.
I caught 2 nice Sockeye within no time bottom bouncing but I got irritated by all the snagging. Left early on Sunday and fly-fished multiple spots on the Cayoosh for trout. Mostly small ones but I kept 2 decent size... good fun.