Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe  (Read 21651 times)

dobrolub

Re: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »

Did you follow the whole deal with J Wilkinson the Fisheries Minister/N Van MP and a few key members of the local fishery such as Highwater Tack
you can't see the forest for the trees.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »

One time I was fishing the Vedder and a DFO suspected me of using barb hooks because he saw me change up as he approached. After 20 minutes of interrogation and showing him all my hooks (which were all barbless or pinched) he reluctantly accepted my explanation that I didn't even see him coming and that I was merely switching from a blade back to roe. Let's just say it ruined my whole fishing experience for that day because I was the only person short floating while a dozen other guys were flossing up stream from where I was and not one of them got harassed like I did.

Doesn't take a genius to understand the moral of this true story.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 11:41:45 PM »

... I spend thousands in freds every year and they lost my business over this.

I suspect you're exaggerating the amount you spend at Fred's because unless you're changing all your gear year after year, you would be hard pressed to spend that much on line, hooks, and floats.

Since we're talking ethics, are you also going to boycott every store that sells bouncing betties or are you only concerned about the fact that you have no idea where Fred got his roe and their lack of immediate response to which you feel personally entitled?

It kinda sucks to get called out without merit. How does it feel?

avid angler

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 12:18:51 AM »

I suspect you're exaggerating the amount you spend at Fred's because unless you're changing all your gear year after year, you would be hard pressed to spend that much on line, hooks, and floats.

Since we're talking ethics, are you also going to boycott every store that sells bouncing betties or are you only concerned about the fact that you have no idea where Fred got his roe and their lack of immediate response to which you feel personally entitled?

It kinda sucks to get called out without merit. How does it feel?

Literally every actual tackle store pulled the betties off the shelf’s after the last sockeye opening so nice try. Yes I do spend a couple thousand dollars in fishing tackle every year. Not that hard when your lucky enough to fish more days then not. Hell a decent pair or waders is over 500 bucks now

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »

How do you know AA is only buying lines, hooks and floats?     As far as boycotting the store unless it was a large amount of customers it won’t make any difference to Fred’s bottom line.  Has anyone gone inside the store and asked where the fresh chum roe was sourced?

poper

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »

I’m sure the store got it legally, theres other stores that sell fresh chum roe,why wouldn’t we give Fred’s the benefit of the doubt,this thread seems more of a attack on his business. Go in and ask questions,
grab a couple lbs and try it out.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 07:47:22 AM »

I suspect you're exaggerating the amount you spend at Fred's because unless you're changing all your gear year after year, you would be hard pressed to spend that much..............
I disagree.
I see those people on the flow every time out.
I am sure you do too blaydRnr.
It ain't the roe bro'

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 08:10:45 AM »

I know lots of people who spend over $1000 annually on fishing gear .. consider a custom rod is $800-$1000, reels several hundred, waders, boots, etc.

It seems to me this could have been put to rest a long time ago if Fred's staff had simply explained where the roe is from; having this controversy ferment like it is seems to me to be poor business.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »

Its not hard to spend over a thousand dollars annually especially if you fish multiple fisheries that require different methods.  Not only that but I buy things like knives, smoker wood chips, downrigger parts ect from fishing stores.

From a market perspective its been interesting to see what's transpired over the last 20 years.  With salmon fisheries closing down at a rapid rate so much of the marketing and effort has been switched to sturgeon.  During salmon season seeing 10 boats out sturgeon fishing would of been an anomaly 20 years ago. Now it's in the 100's and its 365 days a year.

considering i know some people that spend 25-100 bucks on bait each outing is not uncommon. Afterall if your fishing sturge hard you need a nice assortment of roe, salmon strips, and ollies.  The recreational bait market is a decent market.  During the sockeye run guys are out looking for sockeye parts after all it's the Match the Hatch when your Sturg fishing.

I doubt that the roe came from an illegal source but why not just answer the question after multiple people inquired.

Its not hard to wonder why people want to know. Roe has not been an easy thing to come by this year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »

Does Fishing with Rod get boycotted for supporting Fred's Custom Tackle? :D

Ways to help IFS and other fishery challenges...

- Join an established organization like the Steelhead Society, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance. Attend meetings, either the AGM or participate in smaller director meetings and contribute your ideas.

- Participate in the SFAC, even just sitting there to gather information.

- Get more people into fishing. This group is lacking numbers and continue to shrink. We are not significant enough to have an impact at the political platforms.

- Support events like the Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby, Steelhead Society's fundraiser, Vedder River Cleanup, I need help for "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" on March 14th next year.

- Continuously make IFS an issue with your local MP. Once conversations on these issues at the parliament, they no longer are important.

My problem with this discussion isn't that the source of the roe has not been disclosed. I didn't see the post, I don't know what were said, and I don't know the answers, so I can't and am not going to comment on it. Call the store to find out. My problem is this misinformation being spread about Fred only in it for the personal financial gain, when it is in fact the complete opposite. If you go to Fred and mention that you have an event that needs support, the answer is always yes and there's always a donation. The river cleanups get prizes, Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby gets prizes, staff hours to run it at the store, last year he puts in $1000 so I could run "Chilliwack's All About Fishing", youth fishing program, other smaller derbies, donating the store space after hours for meetings, the list goes on.... Quit judging people by rumours and what you are perceiving without talking to them.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »

When is the fall meeting scheduled for chilliwack? date, time and location please. NVM found it online thanks for bringing it up.

November 14, 2019   SC Local SFAC   Chilliwack   Coast Chilliwack Hotel 45920 First Ave., Chilliwack, BC
6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Contact: Barbara Mueller, Fraser Recreational Fisheries Manager
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:00:29 AM by wildmanyeah »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »

- Join an established organization like the Steelhead Society, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance. Attend meetings, either the AGM or participate in smaller director meetings and contribute your ideas.

- Get more people into fishing. This group is lacking numbers and continue to shrink. We are not significant enough to have an impact at the political platforms.

- Support events like the Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby, Steelhead Society's fundraiser, Vedder River Cleanup, I need help for "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" on March 14th next year.

- Continuously make IFS an issue with your local MP. Once conversations on these issues at the parliament, they no longer are important.

My problem with this discussion isn't that the source of the roe has not been disclosed. I didn't see the post, I don't know what were said, and I don't know the answers, so I can't and am not going to comment on it. Call the store to find out. My problem is this misinformation being spread about Fred only in it for the personal financial gain, when it is in fact the complete opposite. If you go to Fred and mention that you have an event that needs support, the answer is always yes and there's always a donation. The river cleanups get prizes, Wally Hall Jr Memorial Derby gets prizes, staff hours to run it at the store, last year he puts in $1000 so I could run "Chilliwack's All About Fishing", youth fishing program, other smaller derbies, donating the store space after hours for meetings, the list goes on.... Quit judging people by rumours and what you are perceiving without talking to them.
I couldn't agree more ! It's sometimes hard to believe it's grown men putting up some of these posts.

Drewhill

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »

I don't even know why you'd buy his chum roe when his sturgeon roe is so much better and it comes with a free shark fin soup  8)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »

As someone who has often been fishing the LML rivers, southern interior lakes and the Squamish and it's tribs and even the chuck in the last two decades, the above statement is hard to believe. My first hand observation is that the number of anglers everywhere in our region has exploded in recent years.
Why do people (including you Rod) keep saying that the number of recreational anglers' is shrinking?
Is that based on the number of licenses sold?
If so, then a helluva lot of people are fishing without a license, i.e. illegally.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 06:51:44 PM »

thanks to your post both those organisations just got a new member.

another thought i would like to bring up is maybe having a sticky on the general discussion forum where people can ask for volunteers. when people post looking for volunteers it usually go's down the list rather quickly. maybe the same for important events. just a thought.