Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping while fishing...  (Read 3729 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Camping while fishing...
« on: September 16, 2004, 09:07:43 PM »

I know that a few of the members of the board also camp, I'm one of them too.

I am going on a trip this coming week up in the Garibaldi area, I will be taking a small selection of spinners and a few hooks; this is what I usually take when fishing/camping in the backcountry.

How many of you like to go fishing when camping in the backcountry, any tips as to packing gear ? and minimizing weight ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re:Camping while fishing...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 09:26:20 PM »

My suggestion is to leave the fishing gear @ home and take lots of warm dry clothes!!!!

Do you have any idea how COLD it's going to be up there?

It snowed in Whistler last night !!! :o :o :o

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 10:29:09 PM »

wow i thaught you went camping to get to that spot you wanted to fish in the first place lol
when ever i ask my kids " hey lets go camping" there responce is" why where do you want to fish this time"
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 10:57:59 PM »

would a  tent trailer fit lol  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 11:31:01 PM »

Garibaldi is a very nice lake :)

I like to keep anything fishing related triple bagged, take only basics, and be very carefull not to touch any of your clothes, or other equipment when backpacking. Do not want bears following the scent, that is for sure. Please do not put it in your tent, ever.

I found that a special care has to be taken of floats, as I broke few very nice light and long trout floats. Fishing road, I attach to the side of backpack, but the best would be if your road would be very foldable. Otherwise you are risking of breaking tips of it.

Keep any bait very closed, and be sure scent can not transfer to anything. Other than that you will have a great time up there. I never been fishing there so late in year, but I think spinners would work excellent up there. I got some nise sized trout using them. Problem is in a lot of very small trout if you are using bait.

Have fun. I am a bit jelaous. I love that area :)

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 08:21:23 AM »

I checked your profile to see if you were over the legal age yet because I was going to recommend bringing cans instead of bottles of your favourite beverage...  
But anyways, noticed your cake... Happy Birthday!

I used to backpack and fish a lot.  Bring dried pasta for your dinner.  Its lightweight and packs a lot of energy after a day of backpacking.  If you have access to a down sleeping bag, I highly recommend bringing it.  Very lightweight, compact, but still very warm.  Just need to keep it dry.  Pack the sleeping bag at the bottom of your backpack, then heavier stuff in the middle like pots and pans, food, and lighter stuff on top like clothing.  You don't want it too top heavy.  

Stay dry and good luck fishin! ;D

« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 08:22:42 AM by Koho »
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 04:16:14 PM »

I'm pretty familiar with the area, I've camped there around this time in the past, as well as in the winter (3 ft of snow in one night !!!).

Hey Koho, thanks for some of the info, I've done plenty of camping in the past, but there's always a few things I forget, I have a down sleepign bag rated to -12, I've camped the summer in the same bag, and winter and had no problems with it.

Hiker, thank you for the advice, the rod I have is a spinnig rod in 4 pieces, the rod itself is between 6-7 ft long. I have used it before on trips and think it's a great rod, it is almost completely graphite a weighs nothing, the reel is a small spinnig reel loaded with a few hundred yards of 8 lb test., as well as a few small blue foxes and some panther martins, along wth some small gibbs crocs.

Looks like the weather may hold up, but we're prepared for the cold (and wet).

Anyone have any reccomendations of how to store rods on the sides of packs ? PVC tubing ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote