Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White Spring Taste  (Read 11342 times)

carpman

• I'm a llama!
White Spring Taste
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:36:33 PM »

Do white springs actually taste bad or just bad relative to other salmon?  ???

gman

Re:White Spring Taste
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:56:33 PM »

White springs from the ocean, or the Fraser in the summer are very good.

White springs from the Vedder (and I understand Harrison thought i have not tried one) are edible, but not great relative to other salmon, if in good shape.

I catch and have lots of other salmon to eat, so will not keep Vedder springs. However I have kept some in the past, and they tasted ok.

Taste is also personal opinion. I once had a Vedder white at a BBQ with friends (along with other salmon), and I was surprised that some people even preferred the white. These were people who were not really fans of the taste of salmon.

So, go ahead and try one. :)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 10:19:45 PM »

i think is all depend you know how to prep and cook them,of coase is my other half know how to do it,right normfish... ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:21:37 PM »

Be sure it's a chrome one. A boot will taste like a boot regardless how much spice you add or how you cook it.

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 11:45:54 PM »

Thanks for the input guys....

I gotta try and land one first, never even hooked a salmon in 3 trys at the veddar!  :( :-[

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 12:08:40 AM »

Thanks for the input guys....

I gotta try and land one first, never even hooked a salmon in 3 trys at the veddar!  :( :-[

don't worry...you will.....its just a matter of time.... ;)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 07:24:57 AM »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 09:53:46 AM »

I bonked a very clean jack spring 2 weeks back, so clean at first I thought it was a coho! I decided to  take it home for the BBQ ( it swallowed the bait and got stuck in 2 log jams before I got it to the shore so it was done).

the first thing I can tell you is that it stunk up the car big time...these fish STINK!

I did my usual salmon marinade and I thought the fish tasted crummy.  Meanwhile my wife and the dinner guest said it was the best salmon they ever had!

Bottom line is that its a matter of preferrence.  

I will take one large white doe for the eggs this year and give the carcass to my inlaws!

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 12:10:36 PM »

It is a personal taste. I am not too keen on eating white spring either, but some friends of mine love it. They say it's better than sockeye. I am not inclined to agree with that assessment. I have eaten it, cooked in variety of ways, but I wouldn't rate it as my favourite fish. I know that if you fillet the fish and skin it so all you have is the white flesh, then it doesn't smell. I think for most of us, it's the smell we can't get past. It's psychological. Anyone else on th eplanet would gladly take the white springs home and have a feast. Ok, so we're spoiled. Maybe good marketing would change that.

Speaking of markeitng.....has anyone seen the Patagonia Toothfish? A friend told me that the Toothfish is being marketed as Chilean Sea Bass. It's actually a deep water cod but since the marketing gurus changed the name to Chilean Sea Bass from Toothfish, the demand for them increased exponentially, and now they are almost extinct in the southern seas. I don't think a lot of the yuppies would be too keen to buy it at Granville Island if they saw the actual fish. It's pretty ugly looking. If only the marketing gurus can do that with the white springs.

Take a look.  http://www.tve.org/news/doc.cfm?aid=1318

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 12:16:39 PM »

Well, I'm gonna try one just to see how it tastes like.   :P

This weekend I'm gonna give spoons and wool a try.  Hopefully I can find a place that holds fish, dunno the river too well.

redlad

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 12:22:52 PM »

the best way is to have no bias going in.  A buddy of mine who is not a fisherperson just ate his first pice of barbecued white spring the other day and thought it was great.  The old saying - he didn't know any better.  I like them smoked, but plan to try them on the barbie.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 01:36:14 PM »

Even after my fish was BBQ'ed fully the skin stilll seemed slimy...I think that filleting the skin off and baking or poaching (cooking method)  ;) would be a wise idea!

BTW - I was in the Cannery and they are marketing those stinky boots as "Ivory Spring"!!! can you believe that!

roeman

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 07:07:58 PM »

some like blondes, some like brunettes, and than there is the wild redhead, and then there are those who will eat anything
Are you fishin or catchin

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 07:16:19 PM »

it's a good thing isn't it?  maybe it'll help take pressure off some of the other species (ie... reds, coho, sockeyes...).  why discourage people? ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 07:16:19 PM »

;D ;D ;D