Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inflatable life vest  (Read 12241 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Inflatable life vest
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:43:03 PM »

I am looking for one of those life vests that inflates when you pull a tag. Mustang makes them, and I wanted to get one for fishing, mostly for wading the rivers (wading drownings have been the news lately, and I don't want to take the risk, plus I could use it for other boating trips). Does anyone know where I could pick one of these up for a reasonable price, I have seen them mostly for around $180, and was wondering if they can be found any cheaper (but the same model)

Any ideas ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Inflatable life vest
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 07:07:24 PM »

Berry's Tackle and Nikka in Richmond should have them.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 07:21:07 PM »

That would be a good idea. Canadian tire sells them for 180$i got one for 150$ dollars there and i think you can get them for 100$direct from the factory. But i saw this while looking for them and it looks like it might work? Its an inflatable fanny pack thing.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442687899&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302209441&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302441135&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302491415&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491415&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348027&bmUID=1095128338722

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 08:55:33 PM »

Actually, the waist pack is just a life vest secured around your waist, you have to loop it over your head for it to be a fully functional life vest.

The one in your picture is exactly what i'm looking for, I sent an email to Mustang to see about prices, so I'm waiting for a reply.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 09:34:08 PM »

Inflate first, then put the now-inflated life vest over your head...I think
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 09:42:31 PM »

That's what I was starting to think...it's a little difficult to do when you're floating by your gut, and trying to put something over your head...hehe  ;D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 09:55:46 PM »

Hi,

Army & Navy in Langley had a few Mustang inflatables at 50% off retail.  Apparently they were leftovers from the other stores and they are getting out of that line.

They don't come with gas cylinders but I got a cylinder at Steveston Marine Hardware for $10.99.  I got a Deluxe Inflatable Fishing Vest for $90 last week.  They had another inflatable fishing vest but it was orange.  If you're in the neighbourhood it might be worth a look.

There are other types (SOSpenders and similar products) that auto-inflate when you hit the water.  But I think the type I got with the manual pull tab is probably good enough.  I'm not likely to hit my head and become unconscious if I fall in while wading.  :)

reach

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 10:22:02 PM »

The thing turning me away from the auto-inflates was the fact that if you get it wet (splash it), it inflates, whereas the the other one can be worn while wading and the lower parts of the vest can be under water, and it won't blow-up on you.

Thanks for the info.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 11:55:24 PM »

any form of inflatable that can give you an edge on the water is a smart investment.   i've got one myself and hope that i'll never have to put it into practical use ("knock on wood"),  but at least its there for peace of mind.

i bought mine (full mustang jacket), from a retired coast guard, for 20 bucks ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 12:03:31 AM »

Hi,

Army & Navy in Langley had a few Mustang inflatables at 50% off retail.  Apparently they were leftovers from the other stores and they are getting out of that line.

They don't come with gas cylinders but I got a cylinder at Steveston Marine Hardware for $10.99.  I got a Deluxe Inflatable Fishing Vest for $90 last week.  They had another inflatable fishing vest but it was orange.  If you're in the neighbourhood it might be worth a look.

There are other types (SOSpenders and similar products) that auto-inflate when you hit the water.  But I think the type I got with the manual pull tab is probably good enough.  I'm not likely to hit my head and become unconscious if I fall in while wading.  :)

reach

have you come across any of those pfd vests with pockets (like the ones at canadian tire)?  those are probably the best bet, if you don't want to deal with the gas cannisters. if you have, are they on sale too?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 12:05:10 AM by blaydRnr »

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 03:51:27 PM »

Yes, they had more of the regular styles than the inflatables.  All their Mustang stuff was 50% off.

I was going to go down and check it out for you (while also shopping for a salmon fly rod ;) ) but it's game time... it'll have to wait till tomorrow since they close at 6.

reach

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »

Do you know if any of the other stores are doing this cheap ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »

thanx Reach . :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 04:22:03 PM »

Simple answer, Don't Wade!

don't accidently slip and fall either.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 07:34:54 PM »

OK, I was in there today and this is all they had left of the Mustang stuff.  It must be selling well.  I think it is only available at the Langley Army & Navy store.

Two MIV-10 orange inflatable fishing vests, one Medium and one Large, $85.

Two B872 "Four pocket vest" (PFD with pockets & fly patch, red & blue), both small/medium, $39.

One MV1251 "Four pocket sport vest" (slightly nicer PFD w/pockets & fly patch, also red & blue), small/medium, $42.

A few kids' PFDs.