Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bait ban  (Read 4747 times)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
bait ban
« on: September 12, 2004, 10:52:35 PM »

In the river i am fishing tommorow ther is a bait ban. Its englishmen river on the island. I have my rod rigged with a float and a gooey bob (fake eggs). I want to aok them in real eggs overnight to give them a scent. This may sound dumb but would this be considered bait? The fisheries guys check me all the time sometimes twice a day.

Also do you think my rig will work? i dont fish rivers very often. i Will be targeting chinook,coho and chum. I will switch to a hot pink and green gibbs spoon if my rig fails

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re:bait ban
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:00:36 PM »

That would be considered as bait according to page 9 of the Freshwater Fishing Regulation Synopsis:

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish... scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:04:58 PM »

In answer to the SECOND question...try wool, drifting colorado blades, under a float.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 11:27:36 PM »

I would agree with Rodney that it is bait if the anise oil is natural. But the scent used in Jensen eggs are artificial thus does not fall within the definition of "foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish" Therefore in my opinion jensen eggs is NOT bait. I'm going to a tackle shop tomorrow to stock up on gear; I will get a definitive ruling.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 07:06:16 PM »

I checked with three tackle shops today and they said that jensen eggs is considered as bait.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 08:32:31 PM »

Unscented gensen eggs arent bait...thats like saying a pink worm is bait...they are both rubber/synthetic!  Then why would wool be any different.  Bait is food or scent plain and simple.  So to answer your question, a gooey bob isnt bait, soak it in roe or ad a scented oil and its a different story.

I know the CO's up on the squamish and the cheak will sniff your wool to make sure you havent slipped some annis or shrimp oil on it!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 12:19:23 AM »

Unscented gensen eggs arent bait...thats like saying a pink worm is bait...they are both rubber/synthetic!  Then why would wool be any different.  Bait is food or scent plain and simple.  So to answer your question, a gooey bob isnt bait, soak it in roe or ad a scented oil and its a different story.

I know the CO's up on the squamish and the cheak will sniff your wool to make sure you havent slipped some annis or shrimp oil on it!

i think FA,  was referring to the scented.    he may have just over-looked it,  or forgotten to mention it. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 12:22:30 AM »

You're right Blaydrnr, I was referring to the scented jensen eggs.