Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: prawn fishing indian arm?  (Read 19408 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
prawn fishing indian arm?
« on: September 12, 2004, 10:23:27 AM »

gonna do some crabbin and hope to get a few prawns, just wondering if anyone has any experience prawning in indian arm? wondering where some of the hotspots are.  last weekend I only caught 5, mind you it was only 100 feet deep where we were. any insight would be appreciated

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:prawn fishing indian arm?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 05:09:29 PM »

at least 300' for prawns.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 09:00:10 PM »

well we headed out today, never really been past bellcara before, sure was a nice boat ride some really beatiful houses out that way, I think we put the traps in somewhere near bedwell bay? anyways i found some water that was about 230' deep to put the prawn trap, and off we went for crab in about 40', had not problem getting the limit of crabs, but on only one pull of the prawn trap did we have prawns, about 30, one time pulling up the trap was really really heavy, turned out to be three bullheads and a crab.  Didnt get much action in the way of fish, but i did have something on that almost pulled the rod out of my hand, and while I was fumbling to loosen the drag it bent over my rod and snapped the line.

gman

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 09:37:42 PM »

Like Grumman says try a bit deeper. 30 prawns in a trap is not bad.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 12:14:14 AM »

:o pretty scarey feelin' eh? when something so big cranks your rod and doesn't even give you a chance to react.

maybe a mud shark or six-gill ?

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 02:07:19 PM »

anyone ever try using one of those light sticks in their prawn traps (along with your choosen bait), they work great over in the Bamfield area.

Out fished (or prawned!) just bait alone....

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 05:14:34 PM »

no 6 gills in indian arm.......

could have been a chum on its way the Indian River.

30 prawns is more than none...good work.

Are you allowed to use a light stick in a prawn trap....sounds like that could be a dodgy one. Regs on light sticks are pretty strict.

You don't make friends with salad.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 06:07:52 PM »

is it like a glow stick thing?

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 10:22:10 PM »

nope i have seen a six gill pulled up in deep cove of the yaght club

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 10:33:02 PM »

twice in the past 15 years, great whites (carcass) have washed up on the shores of burrard inlet.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 09:19:40 AM »

The glow sticks were used in Bamfield AFTER checking with the DFO. This was last year (summer) and they didn't have a problem with using them!

Sandhead

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 12:16:33 PM »

Been crabbing and fishing (when i was younger) the Indian Arm for years.  Beautiful area to cruise and kayak.  Learn something everyday, and today I learned there are prawns in the Arm. Good to know, I doubt I'll ever setup a prawn trap there. Tried catch prawns twice., both times in the Gulf Islands using those pellets.

Interesting to learn that sharks infrequently visit the area where I learned to swim...
Ain't no HO like a COHO

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 01:33:58 PM »

a lot of people mistake slamon sharks for great whites..but yes, there have been great whites in our area..there was one that washed up dead by our place in west van in 1964.....White's are a lot more mobile than a six gill. Six gills are deep water sharks that rise to within a few feet of the surface in only 2 places in the world....Out by Bamfield, and out by Hornby Island. Indian Arm is deep....so there is a chance one was trolled out...but I doubt it swam to the dock by itself ;)

diving around here I have seen blue sharks, a pilot whale, orca, skate, what I think was a seven gill, soupfin sharks, and dogfish...but you have to far to see six gill - and only during 2 months of the year, so I doubt that is what was on the line....could it not have been a seal?

as for the light sticks....Bamfield and Deep Cove are in different zones....so its worth it to check....also..it could have been legal for commercial, but not for recreational.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 01:39:45 PM by aquaboy24 »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 04:17:22 PM »

i once watched a program where marine biologists did  a count survey on sixgill sharks.  they stated that  because of the shark's shy and elusive nature,   they required the aid of local fishermen to help locate them.

apparently these sharks have a high sensory organ, that can detect movement or the slightest electrical current from a mile away. this might explain why divers rarely come across them during their dives. ???

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 08:37:11 AM »

the opposite actaully....one one dive off of Hornby, we spent 2 days, and saw no sharks...so early int he morning on the third day, a buddy and I went down, and took the ship's hammer and an empty dive tank. Sat there at 40 feet hammering away at the dive tank. TINK TINK TINK.

about 30 minutes later...viola....4 six gills were swimming around us.

They don't shy away if its the right time and place.