Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Protection of fish.  (Read 20689 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Protection of fish.
« on: September 10, 2004, 01:13:50 PM »

I think that we need to restrict access to a lot of these sensative areas/fisheries....I thinks its crap, that a big tommy cod is 13 inches now-a-days.  whats that weight, 1lb, my guess is its barely a snack for an adult...so why kill it.

the mentality: "I killed it because I wanted to eat it,  they taste rather good, and to my knowledge a 13" tomcod is rather large" is at the route of the problem.  

a 13 ling cod maybe large now a days cause people have this kill everything mentality.  Seriously, how far did that tommy cod go in terms of a meal?  What would that tommy cod be worth if left in the ocean  to grow and reproduce as opposed to that snack?

I used to catch tommy cod that were 3-4 lbs!  This is a classic example identical to the east coast OVERfishery!

IMHO, killing a 13 inch tommy cod is morally no different than keeping an undersized crab!  Why do we as humans have to be legislated into doing the right thing (throwing those TINY fish back)?!?!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 02:44:02 PM by DragonSpeed »

lucky

• Old Timer
Re:flounder and crabs sept.6
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »

Goey [edited - personal attack], better educate yourself first, pacific tomcod only grow to 12" most are 7 to 10" , a 13" one is big, they also have a short life cycle and only live to 5 years. there are alot of people who like to eat fish that do not always target big fish like salmon, for example many people fish for smelt? as well as yellow perch?, and I have also ate alot of pansize trout that where great eating. I suggest maybe you join greenpeace if dont believe in people fishing to catch fish for eating
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 02:40:52 PM by DragonSpeed »

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 01:53:37 PM »

Gooey....... People have a right to retain fish caught legally and eat them cause they want to.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 08:18:04 PM by Rodney »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 02:30:35 PM »

You surprise me doc...I thought conservation was important to you regardless of species!

Lucky...edjucate yourself...I dont have a clue about how old a 13 inch tommy cod is or their max life (bet its more than 5 years tho). My guess is that your 13 inch tommy is not much more than a year old so it probably never spawned.  You only find tiny ones because no one allows them to live past a year!  PS luck smelts are a totally absurd comparison...considering there are millions of them available.  Trout is even a bad example as many ponds are stocked, others have winter kill, either way those fish SHOULD be harvested.  

And AHans, why do you think stating conservation corncerns is "stirring the pot"?  

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 02:38:08 PM »

everynight I have been dogfishing at ambleside in the past few months I have noticed people poaching crabs, and I mean everynight, I have called the hotline, but never seen a dfo show up there
Hey lucky,yea i know what you mean....next time instead of calling the dfo try calling "B.C wildlife conservation officers" They are more likely to show up than the dfo. Oh yea their number  is >>>1-800--663-WILD(9453). <<
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 02:39:02 PM by ~stOned~ »

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re:Protection of fish.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:19:55 PM »

Thanks to the moderators for not shutting the thread down...indeed I do think this is an important subject, there is a mentality among many fishers that needs to be addressed.  I included my self in this generalization Ahans and Lucky.

I took more coho than I needed last year, none went to waste, some were given away etc.  But wouldnt have been better to take what I need and leave the rest to spawn?  Its something I am going to be more aware of this coho season.

We all need to be more responsible before its to late, regardless of fish species, etc.  There used to be 3-4 lb tommy cod, there still would be if it were not for mankinds over fishing.  Its an attitude we all need to address.  

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 03:25:58 PM »

Hey Gooey...recreational fishermen keeping fish legally caught for eating is their right as long as they keep within the limits prescribed by dfo. Sportsfishermen's impact on conservation is hardly a factor in saltwater fishing compared to the commercial guy's out there. We don't kill fish everyday. If a guy hooks a small fish and he wants to eat it what's the big deal. He is not breaking the law. There are guy's here who fish regularly on the peirs in west van. They know the regulations, retention limits, size etc. You have a problem.......contact the dfo or conservation dept and ask them to revise the limits, size, species you think in in danger of being extinct OK.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 04:27:25 PM »

This is again a sensitive issue that would seem to be a direct attack on the flossers. It is afterall an ethics and morals issue.  So I will not be surprised there are opposition to Gooey's personal view.

Read between the lines.

Oh yeah...the clicking will come soon.

Nothing useful to add?  ::)  This is a discussion about people's personal choices regarding ground fish etc.  

The discussion is centering on whether a recreational fisher keeping his legal limit is harming the fishery, or whether the effect is negligeable in comparison to other factors.  

Max - stop second guessing everything all the time.  Here's a unique idea:  take things AS THEY ARE written, now how you'd like them to read  :o

Viking_Fish_God

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 05:18:42 PM »

Gooey
When i lived on a road that I thought the speed limit was too fast, i leaned hard on the city to change it, I didnt go yell and whine at the drivers doing the legal limit. Gooey If people are legally fishing be it Possesions or methods, say your opinion without behaving like a child and losing what ever point your were trying to make. Even when I agree with your point, your annoying methods lose me.  >:(
Personnaly i thought Tommy cods maxed out at about 1lbs

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 05:37:06 PM »

The ones gooey caught musta been on steroids :D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 06:08:33 PM »

ignoring catch limits is more destructive than say keeping a tommy cod at 13inches length. one of rodney's reports actually state people used to take home 50 or more tommy cod per day. do a little math and you can see the enormous impact this can have on a species. people fishing legally and keeping their limits then trying to blame people that they should be selecting their harvest is just a non starter.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 06:09:34 PM »

You surprise me doc...I thought conservation was important to you regardless of species!

Lucky...edjucate yourself...I dont have a clue about how old a 13 inch tommy cod is or their max life (bet its more than 5 years tho). My guess is that your 13 inch tommy is not much more than a year old so it probably never spawned.  You only find tiny ones because no one allows them to live past a year!  PS luck smelts are a totally absurd comparison...considering there are millions of them available.  Trout is even a bad example as many ponds are stocked, others have winter kill, either way those fish SHOULD be harvested.  

And AHans, why do you think stating conservation corncerns is "stirring the pot"?  

i totally agree with conservation and the need to address fishing practices.
but gooey....
you still haven't learned your lesson.  just like 'the other' site, you go 'kamakaze' without taking the time to look at all the facts....

tommy cods are the smallest of their species. maximum length is 12 inches. 4 lbs is worthy of a nomination and registration for the national record.

ponds and lakes are stocked because of the depletion of the wild stocks.  winter kills and other forms of extermination is used to balance the two.  it was however, originally intended to control ferrel species.

when i was a boy, i remember seeing millions of smelts along the stanley park seawall, during their yearly migration. now due to over fishing, you'd be lucky to see hundreds.

there is no such thing as absurd, when referring to conservation.  no species is immune to extinction.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 06:24:48 PM »

you must be thinking of greenling cod, or perhaps rock cod, do the research gooey before you spout off, type pacific tomcod on google , and educate yourself a bit

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »

Yes this is most likely a confusion about what is a "tommy cod".  When I was a kid we all called kelp greenling (hexagrammos decagrammus) "tommy cod".  The maximum size for those is, as Gooey suggests, more like 20+ inches and 3 or 4 pounds.

The pacific tomcod (microgadus proximus) is totally different and its maximum size is around 12 inches.  It looks more like a hake or pollock.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 06:49:06 PM »

lucky, who's the one spouting off?  The tommy cod I caught as a child were huge in comparison to what you are talking about.  I lived in Cobble Hill (between victoria and nanimo) and I used to spend 5 out of 7 days down at the docs all thru elementary school.  The fishing pressure wasnt huge in Cowichan bay and the tommy's GREW big.  The were no greenlings til you got out in a boat around separation point and down a channel there.   The biggest yellow eye and red snappers were in the 12lb range.

Yes that was 2+ decades ago but the point is that if a stock doesnt get over fished then it will be able to produce those larger fish!  

And lucki you still haven't answered the question: where does a greater value lie in a 13 inch tommy cod...as table fair or left to grow and reproduce?  

You know my answer and I am still waiting to here yours!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 06:57:15 PM by Gooey »