Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in Montana?  (Read 3373 times)

Acute Angler

Fishing in Montana?
« on: September 09, 2004, 08:34:18 AM »

Has anyone ever fished the rivers in Monana?  I have a friend who just moved there and wants me to come and visit - so obviously if I go I have to bring the fishing gear.

Does anyone know what sort of liscencing requirements there are, or have any flyfishing tips for the Missoula area?
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Fishing in Montana?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:02:14 PM »

Here is my story.  6 years ago I planned at trip to Yellowstone.  Camping right on the river :D.  However, two days before we left, I smashed the top of my left index finger with one hell of a hammer blow :-X.  We still went.  I got a good look at the river, but couldn't fish because of the pain (couldn't sleep either).  I took 5 days before I could pull my pants on with my left hand.

So, when you go, think of me and have a good time.

Also, you're going to love Montana.  It's a stunning place to visit.  You have to make time for yellowstone Park.  See everything on the North end, not much south of the lake.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 10:02:25 AM by grumman »

Acute Angler

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 05:30:52 PM »

Thanks for the tips - sounds like it would definately be worth doing.  Now I just have to work out the extra holiday time with the boss.  I just got back from my summer vacation two days ago!
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:31:21 PM »

If you fish the rivers down there be sure to decontaminate your gear.  Fly Fisherman Magazine has an article about NewZealand Mud snails that have infested some streams down there.  Once in the river they have no balancing predator to hold them back.  Some very productive streams have been overtaken and the natural insect production has almost dissapeared.  It would be a tragedy to import them up here.  Washing your waders and boots in a 10% bleach solution is recommended or making absolutely sure everything is completely dry and therfore snail and larvae are dead.  Be careful.
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 01:45:19 PM »

GSE Extract was the other suggestion.  As I was going from memory  ???  last night I didn't want to post the wrong thing without having a chance to look it up.
We can build it, take me to your Banker!