Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sticker price on new outboard?  (Read 2140 times)

dboy

• I'm a llama!
Sticker price on new outboard?
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:29:37 PM »

I'm considering purchasing a new outboard for the zodiac (2-stroke 25 Hp short shaft).  Looking for a two-stroke because of the high power to weight ratio as I need it to be portable. Yamaha seems to be the only manufacturer that has what Im looking for.

Is it reasonable to expect a discount from the sticker price (like a car dealer)? or do they operate on set prices?   

Never purchased a new motor from a dealer and wondering about others experiences in getting the best deal.... 

Thanks,

ChakaRaka

Re: Sticker price on new outboard?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »

I have never owned anything like that "new".  But hey, it is a buyers market right now.  Why not take your time and go to a few dealers (if possible) and WAIT for one to come to the table at a price you feel is fair?

tnt

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »

I was in the boat business... to get a couple hundred bucks off a motor is not unreasonable, but shop at the places that deal with volume, they typically get a better buy on motors, or a place that rigs the motors with boats, as they get a drop ship discount that typically can be steered towards the customer, big shops like cascades supply and marine or GA chackpoint, can always work out a decent price, dont be afraid to ask for a one or two year old new motor as well, the shops will like to move those at a better price.
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »

Perhaps better than price, you might get more bang for buck on coming to terms with a service agreement?  If you don't do your own maintainence, ask them to throw in the first two years' worth of scheduled maintanence.

If you do it yourself, by all means, fish for a discount on the sticker price then.

If I were you, I would JUMP RIGHT NOW AT THIS DEAL at Cabelas;

Merc 20 hp short shaft.
ME 20M 4S Regular Price:  $5,109.00 Sale Price:  $2,789.00  Limited Stock.

Yes its a 4 stroke, but still, that is a SMOKING DEAL on a 20hp Merc at Cabelas.  Quick drive down to Lacey Washington and you just save a few $Gs.