Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder October 28th - fLuke has done it again!  (Read 3383 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Vedder October 28th - fLuke has done it again!
« on: October 28, 2004, 04:22:22 PM »

Well, knowing where the fish were in the river after Luke's success on Tuesday, we were eager to get out and slay those fish. ;) This morning we put all work aside (shh!) and took my dad out for his first Vedder outing of the season as he is in town visiting for a week. :)

We arrived at our spot around 7am, perfect timing as shortly after we got ready it was light enough to fish. The flow was awesome, water has dropped a bit since last week. Clarity was excellent too, clear but with the greenish colour in the main body of the water.

My today's weapon is Stryker 3106 fitted with the Islander Steelheader, while my dad played with Stryker 2106 and my newly bought Shimano Scorpion low profile reel from Japan.

About twenty minutes or so after we started, I was into a series of bites. Fishing just downstream from Luke, my float was pulled down once but I came up empty. Same thing happened the second and third time, extremely frustrating as the speed told me it was definitely a coho. First and second strike actually occured at the exact same spot, indicating that it maybe the same fish. :o On the forth drift, the float was pulled again. I yanked, and a distinct heavy weight at the end of my line made me smile. A few seconds later, the big chrome buck came up to the surface and immediately went into its famous rolls. After about three rolls, it turned around and headed downstream at lightning speed. It was at this point, I made my mistake. Too much pressure on the pin when the fish ran, so one pop and bye bye coho. :-[

Rather disappointing indeed, because it was one of the bigger ones I've hooked this season. The next two hours, all three of us came up empty and it was getting rather discouraging. Luke started to wander about as usual. I think suggested that we should head to a new spot. Five minutes after that suggestion, Mr Fluke got into a fish! At first it stayed deep, seemed like a chum we thought. When it started to perform the kicks, we knew that it was a coho. A few minutes later, a brief look at its back revealed that it was a hatchery fish. Luke was now taking it VERY EASY (slowly). ;) We found a gradual bank and he proceeded to beach the fish. I gave the fish a slight nudge from the bottom and we had our first and only hatchery fish on the beach today. :)

Pretty good for his first season! ;D

During the rest of the outing, we missed the odd bites. I landed a chum... and Dad was just happy to enjoy the scenary. :) Tomorrow we will continue our coho quest but it will not be Vedder. :) There still seems to be a lot of fish coming in, we did see scattered waves of coho moving in today but they were rather tight lipped at times.

A note on the Shimano Scorpion reel. I ordered this about a month ago and it arrived from Japan last week. My dad was lucky enough to be the first one to test it out. His first impression was... "This is way better than your 6500c3." ;D I shall talk more about that later on. ;)

Good luck all. :)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder October 28th - fLuke has done it again!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 05:57:10 PM »

Great report as usual Rod, thank's. I've been dying to get
out myself but have been struck down with a cold the last
few days, maybe this weekend,lol. Real nice looking fish you guys caught and sorry you did'nt get more but the opportunities sounded like they were there. Ah well you've had such great success so far this year Rod with the coho who's to complain. See you on the water :D.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:57:23 PM »

Went out this afternoon. Unfortunatly due to a communication between my brother and I we only got 2 hours of fishing time.  We fished our usual spot but unfortunatly we only saw wave after wave of chum swim by and about 3 coho. Total catch was about 6 chums landed and one brief hookup with a large coho. Oh well, just nice to be out on the water.
Actions speak louder than words.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »

The view was so beautiful with the orange colour mountains and the pastel pink sky at dawn... :)    Me think, that scenery itself was  worth the trip. (Rod drove both ways..Thanx..)

Like written in Rod's previous post, Rod hooked and lost a rather big coho. It was nice and shiny, too.    Our heart sank when his rig popped out.  What a disappointment that was.. :'(    Then again, that got our hopes up, as we knew fish was biting.

I landed a old chum and it was a good drag adjustment practice.  

Rod also landed a chum, but his was clean looking.  He released it, though...

When things slowed down, as usual Rod started to clean the river bank.     He started to pull in a discarded  line which seemed like the entire spool content, then he found out that there was a fish attached! (big Chinook)  He puts gloves on and started to pull.  Then fish started to dash down stream and it was gone...   We wondered how long that poor thing was hooked on that T.O.W. rig.  (One night at least.)

Because, Rod-san cleaned the river, the Vedder  River God smiled and gave me the decent coho. :D (Thanx again, Rod.)

Anyways, trying to avoid Tuesday's die-hard coho scare, I smashed this coho's noggin' with a big rock more than 10 times, making sure fish became limp... (in a picture above, you can actually see its head caved in a little.)  Then I cleaned and emptied it's belly, again, it still moved for like good 5 minutes!  :o    Rod commented, "You're so cruel, Man!"  :'(     They were  probably just muscular reflexes of some sort, but I really don't want to see that..   How do you guys kill, or rather, make them stop twitching for good?

I made a little corral or a pool with rocks to keep the fish cool.  Then before my eyes,  this tiny salmon fly squeezed through the space between the rock fence and started pecking on my cleaned coho.  What a....?! :o  

Like I said before and I say this again,  Short-Floating is fun!   :D  

Today's Finding: A slick looking black pick-up truck was an unmarked Policecar.

Dragnet

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 09:04:29 PM »

Rodney and Luke:

I know this will get everyone all excited or upset but what were you guys using to catch the coho ie roe, wool and color etc.

I've been skunked till now.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 09:30:45 PM »

you guys see any clean springs around?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 10:56:08 PM »

Dragnet, for the Vedder, Luke and I have been using procured roe (both chum and coho) throughout the entire season and have had good success at times.

Deadhead, nope.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 12:03:21 AM »

fly or fry??? That very well could be the funniest thing i've read all week...  ;D

Doh!... did it again... :-[   No spell checker could catch that one.. :P
Keep corrections coming, thanx.  ::)

Man......, how difficult this English thingy is...  :'(     Dung it!  Who came up with the L and the R...? Couldn't you just use the either one?!   Preferably the  L, as I can't pronounce the R... :-X

PS: On TV, I saw, the dude, Saddam Hussein tossin' grenades to catch fishes during his family outing.   Fishes his servant swam out and retrieved, was quite big.   I wonder what kind of fishes, they were..    I think all fishes living in the Tigris and the Euphrates must be deaf.

Yopesco

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 01:17:39 AM »

Yeah, there are still some decent springs around.

It is interesting that you Rod think to have had more than one bite from the same fish. Today I had the most weird thing happening to me fishing. I hooked a monster spring, which after five-minutes figth, broke my line, so I went to reset and realize that she (it was a she!!!) actually had broken my three-way swivel, leaving me with the upper third of it still attached to my main line. So, I reset the whole thing, this time witout a swivel because the broken one happened to be my last one. Second cast I hook a fish, big spring again, puts up a great figth and I finally land it, is in good shape so I'm bonking it, and realize she has another hook with the same pink whool in the other side of her mouth. I get the hook out and there is a leader attached to it, and at the end of the leader the other two thirds of my broken swivel :o :o :o
No fisherman's tale here, my friend was there and did see the whole thing.
I have no doubt, that fish had my name on her.

Do that happens frequently? I'd love to hear about other peoples' experiences  ::)

Yopesco

Sandhead

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 02:08:09 AM »

Had the opportunity to visit the Vedder today. Hooked into my first Vedder Coho of the season, It ended up being wild, so it was released. Saw some very dirty springs and lots of chum around.

One thing I have been noticing is the lack of dead fish around compared to years past. I remember fishing the  Vedder a cou
ple years back and there were so many dead fish around you could smell them. Can't smell them this year so far anyway...

Ain't no HO like a COHO

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 09:30:03 AM »

Rodney, this scorpion reel? They are $170 US and advertised as a bass reel - do you have enough capacity? And also, have you ever tried an Ambassadeur 6500CS Rocket/Pro?

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 10:07:18 AM »

Luke, don't feel bad about the L thing. I have a 20 year old Daiwa spin caster with a sticker on it that says "Real Steel Ball Bealings" I'm sure they sold thousands with that typo.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 05:16:07 PM »

Yopesco: That has not happened to me often.... Almost never (I don't fish enough to have these abnormalities occuring at a frequent basis ;) ). Here's another story... Once, while fishing in the winter time, I landed one bull trout roughly around 2lb. It was quickly released and we headed downstream to the next run. The next spot and the previous spot where I hooked the fish were roughly 500 meters apart, with some rapids between them. Just after we started fishing at the next spot, my buddy hooked into a bull trout, which turned out to be the same fish as we could identify it by looking at this distinct scar it had on its back! :o

Sandhead: I have noticed that too. Not as many carcasses lying about. It could also be that we have been fishing prime coho area where boots don't hang around. ;D Maybe they are still showing up, just maybe.... :o

Dennis: The line capacity of Scorpion 1000 is not big.... but I am only using it for coho so that will be enough. I spooled it up with 12lb test Maxima, around 120 meters I think. I used it for spinning today, and the casting is awesome! The distance I could whip a 1/4oz out is amazing... The grip on the handles is also very nice, good in the rain. This reel, or just low profile reels in general, is small for people who have small hands to avoid pain developed after holding an oversized reel on cold days.