Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208643 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

18pound vedder coho, now iv heard everything ::)
The Bigger The Better!

John Revolver

Hey John! Nice meeting another member on the forum. ;D Hope you got some fish on the two-hander, I might have to bring out the single and have some fun tomorrow if the water levels don't spike.

Hey Pete great to meet you too , bud! I enjoyed our chat.  Just Chum for me on that run. Couple of fun hook-ups but nothing to hand. 

Had much better luck/fun up top at the start of my day.  I have a good batch of Chum roe curing now and got some good snake roll cast practice in so the day has been very good! :)

Water condition:
Surprised at water clarity both top and bottom.  Levels were stable all day even during the rain we've had this weekend. Should be some good waters for tomorrow. All the usual fish in all the usual spots.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:55:22 PM by John Revolver »

Walleye76

definately too many wilds in the river this year.....about 18 wilds for october and only 12 keepers. somedays all i catch is wild coho. Ive never caught this many wild coho on the vedder before. 

Never enough wilds IMO... wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least if hatchery was not needed anymore

Dave

• Old Timer

definately too many wilds in the river this year.....
Please tell me you simply forgot to add a smiley face after that statement.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Lovely conditions this morning, well at least I had the float go down 3 times, had to leave early to meet with Rod. Going back out as The Master says there is a good bite around noon, darn I am late now. ;D

TheLostSockeye

definately too many wilds in the river this year.....about 18 wilds for october and only 12 keepers. somedays all i catch is wild coho. Ive never caught this many wild coho on the vedder before.  My biggest coho was first week of october estimate about 15-18 lbs was a wild female. Absolutely gorgeous fish too.  :'( .........back to the water she went.

I got one of those 15ers in hatchery form  ;D
My season been quite the opposite. Have caught around 10-15 wilds everything else hatchery.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

I've seen quite a few 15lb+ coho hooked this season. Helped beach a few as well. But a fellow on a spey rod had the biggest....fought like a beast for at least 10 minutes . ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

In 40 plus years  I have never caught one over 10 in the Chilliwack Vedder. They used to have coho derbies but they cancelled them, most will know why. ::)

96XJ

I see the same guy fishing all the time telling me of the 12 - 14 lbs coho he has caught/lost , one day he was walking back to his truck and showed me his 14lb coho he just caught , i said to him probably closer to 8/9 lbs - he said no way at least 14lbs , so i measured it and used a web site that calculates how much salmon/trout weigh.......... 8lbs

not sayin just sayin  ::)

NothingToSnagAbout

Colouring aside, do you find any difference in table fare, a 5 vs a 10, say?

Jk47

I find 10 lb cohos vs 5 lb ho's a lot harder to get the cook right. For the table you want to cook coho hot and fast so it comes off just slightly rare and finished cooking as it is served. This is harder to achieve the thicker the meat is. I find no difference in taste or texture, really - as long as it's a chrome fish - just find I often accidentally undercook larger coho in an effort to not over cook it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Colouring aside, do you find any difference in table fare, a 5 vs a 10, say?

I typically do Do 10 mins an Inch thickness at 350 and it seems to come out really well. Havent noticed a taste different in size
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:54:54 PM by wildmanyeah »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Heavy rain overnight and now, river gauge on the move.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River condition has remained reasonably good at least until 9:30am when I drove over the Crossing. Chris just phoned me too and said it is still good. It's quite cool outside so that's keeping the river in shape.

Here's my report.

It was yet another rainy but incredibly productive morning on the Chilliwack River, we are very lucky to have this abundant resource in this country during this time of the year.

If we are counting fish, this morning's outing was definitely the best so far this season. The first four casts yielded four wild coho salmon. Cast number five was blanked, but cast number six was rewarded by another wild fish. This was followed by a small jack, then two hatchery marked coho salmon before ending the session with a wild buck. Ten fresh salmon in just over one hour of fishing, one cannot complain about that at all.

The lure of choice was once again the Gibbs Delta Tackle's #35 orange fire stripe silver Koho spoon. Having my Shimano 9' Clarus coupled with 15lb PowerPro braided main line made a huge difference in catch results among anglers as I was able to whip the lure out further and reach the school of fish. The coho salmon fishing season is far from over yet, I hope you are also able to enjoy the next several weeks!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

That first three weeks of November are just killer.......so is my boss when he refuses time off requests. Nice fish bro.