Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208604 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Thanks Sockeyed,

So is there a range of the primary water level in which the river is fishable?

What does the data in that chart mean in practical terms?

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

halcyonguitars - basically for the most part, you should be less concerned with water "level", and more concerned with graphical spikes.

If the graph spikes upwards, the river is probably the colour of a Tim Hortons double double. ;)

If the graph is relatively level or on a downward trend, it's probably clear or clearing, and should be fishable, and you can begin taking levels into consideration, in which case anything exceptionally high (ie. in the mid 2s) will be a lot of water to cover and difficult to fish. Anything exceptionally low (think low/mid 1s) will also be difficult to fish as their will be fewer attractive runs, and they will be heavily pressured.

Try playing with the inputs on the bottom, selecting date ranges from previous seasons. If you keep a fishing journal you can even match the dates up to your own findings. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:04:23 PM by Tex »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

water level and clarity is getting better and very fishable. But everywhere the chums are in the lower and mid. Most of the action is upper  because the high water has pushed the coho and springs to the hatchery. not much action in the lower coho wise. Probably one of the slower days ive seen so far.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

water level and clarity is getting better and very fishable. But everywhere the chums are in the lower and mid. Most of the action is upper  because the high water has pushed the coho and springs to the hatchery. not much action in the lower coho wise. Probably one of the slower days ive seen so far.
They are still in the Lower in good numbers. ;D so they will be heading your way. The chum are a bit of a problem as there is so many of them.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Thanks Tex!

I think I kinda get it. Time to put the waders on and pitch graph against reality...

DanL

• Old Timer

Water clarity was good this morning/afternoon, just a bit of turbidity though the river was still quite high IMHO. However it started raining quite hard as I was leaving around 3 pm.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

your right about good numbers in the lower but so many wild coho being caught this year from mid september on has made it a bit difficult getting a hatch on a regular basis.  :-[

dave c

They are still in the Lower in good numbers. ;D so they will be heading your way. The chum are a bit of a problem as there is so many of them.
I am quite suprised that the retention of chum is only 1.  There are so many of them.  It sure doesn't seem that the run is in danger.

Dave

• Old Timer

Chums are vitally important to coastal river systems, along with pinks.  Many animals, birds and resident fish rely on the carcasses for food (think Squamish, Harrison and Chilliwack River Bald Eagles), eggs (resident whitefish, char, trout and Water Ouzels) and provide future nutrients to rivers. The fry produced are food for yearling coho, cutthroat, and wild steelhead juveniles, and of course feed mergansers, herons and gulls.
Chums and Pinks may be the most important driver to our lower mainland rivers and the more we have returning the more productive these watersheds will be, imo.

Recently the Chilliwack River hatchery has diverted funds from coho production to feed chum fry ... data shows feeding chum fry for about 30 days prior to release basically doubles adult returns. Considering the anecdotal evidence of good numbers of wild coho returning to the Chilliwack this season I suggest this strategy is in the best interest of the watershed and it's ecology.

As a fish advocate/river steward I believe there should no angler retention of chum and pink salmon on the C-V; they are far more important to the river system.  Non retention would also help negate the on going angling ethics issue every pink year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Chums are vitally important to coastal river systems, along with pinks.  Many animals, birds and resident fish rely on the carcasses for food (think Squamish, Harrison and Chilliwack River Bald Eagles), eggs (resident whitefish, char, trout and Water Ouzels) and provide future nutrients to rivers. The fry produced are food for yearling coho, cutthroat, and wild steelhead juveniles, and of course feed mergansers, herons and gulls.
Chums and Pinks may be the most important driver to our lower mainland rivers and the more we have returning the more productive these watersheds will be, imo.

Recently the Chilliwack River hatchery has diverted funds from coho production to feed chum fry ... data shows feeding chum fry for about 30 days prior to release basically doubles adult returns. Considering the anecdotal evidence of good numbers of wild coho returning to the Chilliwack this season I suggest this strategy is in the best interest of the watershed and it's ecology.

As a fish advocate/river steward I believe there should no angler retention of chum and pink salmon on the C-V; they are far more important to the river system.  Non retention would also help negate the on going angling ethics issue every pink year.

Too bad FOC allows chum beach seining for roe sales and in some years a chum commercial fishery in the Fraser, many heading to their natal stream, the Chilliwack River. Also the chum fishery in the ocean. They take far more fish than the recreational angler does

Also fish sales at the hatchery take away a lot of fish that could be put back in the river to feed the animals and birds you mention as well as provide nutrients to the river.

The good news the run of chum the last few days has been very strong.

Back on topic, the rain has stopped so we should have good fishing tomorrow.

ynot

• Old Timer

Fraser River Chum Update - October 17, 2016

In-season estimates of abundance for Fraser River chum are based on catch information provided by the Albion test fishery. Using Albion test fishery data through October 17th, the current median estimate for the terminal Fraser River chum return is 1.55 million chum, with a 50% migration date of October 17th.  There is an 80% probability that the run is between 1.036 and 2.362 million, and a 98% probability that the run will exceed the escapement goal of 800,000. 

The current run size is sufficient to allow for commercial opportunities in the Fraser River.  Additional information on available Commercial TAC and commercial fisheries planning details will be provided via separate fishery notices.

swimmingwiththefishes

BTW what is going on with the Albion test fishery website?

Rieber

• Old Timer

Fraser River Chum Update - October 17, 2016

In-season estimates of abundance for Fraser River chum are based on catch information provided by the Albion test fishery. Using Albion test fishery data through October 17th, the current median estimate for the terminal Fraser River chum return is 1.55 million chum, with a 50% migration date of October 17th.  There is an 80% probability that the run is between 1.036 and 2.362 million, and a 98% probability that the run will exceed the escapement goal of 800,000. 

The current run size is sufficient to allow for commercial opportunities in the Fraser River.  Additional information on available Commercial TAC and commercial fisheries planning details will be provided via separate fishery notices.

With this going on, you should take the opportunity to go down to Peg Leg (main channel area) and witness how this fishery (netting) takes place for the Chum roe.

Large nets are stretched out at the rivers edge, one end of the net is anchored to a big 4x4 truck. The other end is tied to a jet boat by long rope. When ready, the jet boat pulls the net out into the river and does a big loop back into shore. The crew of fishermen pull the rope from the jet boat to another 4x4 truck and then the net and its contents are pulled up to the shore but kept in the water. Then the fishermen step into the net and start culling out the male Chum - they pick them out of the net and let them back into the river. The female Chum and whatever other marketable by-catch are transferred into the big blue fish bins spread out along the rivers edge.

It's quite efficient and impressive. The fishermen work so fast and efficiently that it doesn't appear that fish are harmed other than massive amounts (to the perception of a Recreational angler) of fish are harvested.

I was really impressed and quite saddened to see this.

Important to mention that I saw this a few years ago. I have no idea if you can even cross over to the main channel at PegLeg anymore - ever since I stopped bottom bouncing, I haven't found a reason to go there anymore.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:51:56 PM by Rieber »

b8floater

If anyone's interested to see what the Vedder River conditions looked like at Peach Rd. on Sunday @ approx. noon, here's a short video - https://youtu.be/dZv1fnLxCII
I'll try and do more of these if they help the out of towners get a feel for rain vs temperature vs river levels/conditions.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

It's good to hear that the chum return is looking good. Chum numbers crashed several years ago and it has been a long slow process for the fish to build to what you see now. Chum in the Vedder/Chilliwack for the most part are dark and of mediocre table quality. Many people retain females for the roe as bait. Best I know most system that rely on wild reproduction are still depressed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.