Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, August 3rd 2013  (Read 1205 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser River, August 3rd 2013
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:30:10 AM »

I checked the Fraser water levels and decided to give it a go for Pinks even though it is several weeks early. I haven't been on the water since April so I was happy to get out.
I was hopeful after I saw that water clarity was better than I have seen at the end of August in previous years plus there was a fair number of fish rising and rolling.
3rd cast, small fish on - NPM about the length of my 1/4oz croc. Stupid fish.
30 minutes later, cast, larger fish on - definitely not a salmon but put a nice bend in my rod - Bull trout maybe(??).
It didn't fight particularly hard and quickly I landed a 20" NPM. It had a very dark back and was obviously an example of the larger fish I saw rolling.
That was it for me. Another guy joined me on the dyke who was fishing buzz bombs, but I didn't see him hook anything.
The natives were drifting upriver very close to shore but I didn't see any fish in their nets.

twocoaster

Re: Tidal Fraser River, August 3rd 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

Thanks typhoon. That keeps me from using up precious time on river when pinks are still a while away.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »

Water clarity is definitely improving. I remember two years ago when pink salmon started moving in, water was just as dirty as during freshet so success rate was pretty low for the first few days.

I was down at Garry Point a couple of evenings ago to throw the little spinner around for a bit. A couple of pikeminnow went for it. The First Nation boats were not bringing in any sockeye salmon at all.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

Just wanted to add my thanks.... although I'll still probably hit the Langley area in the next little while (some of my hardware has been begging to go swimming!)

I checked the Fraser water levels and decided to give it a go for Pinks even though it is several weeks early. I haven't been on the water since April so I was happy to get out.
I was hopeful after I saw that water clarity was better than I have seen at the end of August in previous years plus there was a fair number of fish rising and rolling.
3rd cast, small fish on - NPM about the length of my 1/4oz croc. Stupid fish.
30 minutes later, cast, larger fish on - definitely not a salmon but put a nice bend in my rod - Bull trout maybe(??).
It didn't fight particularly hard and quickly I landed a 20" NPM. It had a very dark back and was obviously an example of the larger fish I saw rolling.
That was it for me. Another guy joined me on the dyke who was fishing buzz bombs, but I didn't see him hook anything.
The natives were drifting upriver very close to shore but I didn't see any fish in their nets.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »

There are Pinks in the Cottonwood test net so they do exist and look to be a week earlier than 2 years ago.
Lower Fraser should have plenty in a couple weeks.