Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlling big chinooks  (Read 8758 times)

RiverRunner

Re: Controlling big chinooks
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 03:59:41 PM »

Why oh why would you keep a spring like that.  Well past it's prime.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »

This thread is about fighting slabs not what should get whacked or not.  As others have side side pressure works great, have never tried freespooling if they are leaving the run but I would probably just point the rod at them and straighten out the hook. If you are targeting them in faster water 20lb main and minimum 15lb leader is the way to go, if that huge chunk of roe doesn't spook them I doubt the line will so fluro is a waste of time unless your fishing a small presention in slow gin clear water IMO.

SS Fintastic

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »

I applied side pressure to help steer in a 38 red.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Tex, I can definitely see that working, and besides when you are at that stage of the game, what have you got left to lose?

Oh, and FYI, I wasn't specifically targeting Chinooks, just hooked into the odd ones while targeting Coho who were also hanging out in the run. I am going to try a few of these tricks in the next outing.

BTW, I am sure Derp's fish looked a fair bit better as soon as he landed her, they darken up after the bonk a fair bit sometimes

brookboy

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »

If you're targeting big chinook salmon, 12lb test is possibly too light, especially if you're fishing fast deep runs.  Try bumping up your mainline and leader strength by a few pounds, it might make a world of difference in turning a hot fish.

If that fails, the following may SOUND crazy, but I can guarantee it does work - I've tried it:

If a fish is running long and hard downriver, and you're worried (s)he's going to hit the tailout rapids and leave the run, and side pressure can't stop it, try freespooling your line.  Upon doing this,  the fish will stop feeling the pressure/tension of the line in its mouth, and often when the fish stops feeling pressure, it will slow/stop and turn back upriver.  

I tried this for the first time after hooking a 40+ chinook near mid-river that going hellbent for Japan.  If it left the run, it would be a lost cause, so I freespooled my baitcaster.  Immediately I could see the rate of speed with which the line was leaving the reel slowed down, and finally stopped.  All of the slack then began pulling from DOWNRIVER of the fish, and feeling this tension coming from downstream, the Chinook turned and began swimming back UPSTREAM!  10 seconds later, he was back in the run (I could see my line heading back up behind him), so I clicked the reel back into gear and tightened up to the fish.  He was so tired by this point that it was a short battle after that, and I reeled him right into shore.  :)

This isn't foolproof, and may not always work, but it's saved the day for me more than once.

Good luck!

Thats pretty crazy! Im gunna try this next time i hook a big one.  By the way just wondering what the term side pressure means.  Is it angling your rod perpendicular to your body?

bcguy

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »

X2 on tex's method. Freespooling a hell bent big chinook has been the only way to "possibly" get him back into fighting range on faster parts of river. The fish will go down until he feels no pressure and 9 times out of 10 they will travel right back up to calmer waters.
I think we have all taken pleasure in trying to control and land one of these beasts but to keep them is another story. For the newbies I can understand the satisfaction of having a big fish but i think as you experiance more - you will understand that its much better to wait for a prime Coho that will be enjoyed way more for consuption . I cant even risk touching a White spring because of the lingering order for days but to each there own.         

X2...White spring Yuuuuuuuuuuuck!!! Smeeeelly!!!! Discusting fish....I know great for the smoker... ::)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:46 PM »

By the way just wondering what the term side pressure means.  Is it angling your rod perpendicular to your body?

Kind of!  Basically, when most people fight fish, they raise their rod straight up at about 45 degrees to the water.  This is usually a good tactic, but it's important to sometimes apply side pressure, which is to drop your rod to the side so it's parallel to the water but 45 degrees away from the fish.  Your goal is to turn the fish's head, so if the fish is running up river (left to right), you'd drop the rod to the left (away from the fish) and this would likely force the fish to turn his head back downstream.  Not only does it tire the fish out, but it also confuses them I imagine and they come in much easier.

Good luck.
:D
Tex

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 06:14:51 AM »

You don't control BIG Chinooks, they control you, period.

If you want a chance at huge Chinook, fish with gear made for them, not Coho gear.

I suggest a 11 foot medium/heavy rod, a reel loaded with 25 pound mainline and a 20 pound leader.

I fish them out of a boat and use 1 piece 8 foot Lamiglas fiberglass rods, Shimano Calcuttas and 65 pound Power Pro braided line, with 50 pound Berkley big game leader. Of course we use Spinners, plugs and back bounce roe for them so we have the ability to chase them.
But landing them with this kind of set up is a breeze.

Had a few drop the scales easily to 50 over the years.

As they say " go BIG or go home"
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

hamster

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »

Apply side pressure

OK, I confess..........what do you mean by applying side pressure? 

brookboy

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »

Thanks Tex, good to know! BTW hamster, look two posts above and it should answer your question :P

hamster

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »

thanks brookboy.  I've been taught to do this but didn't know what it was called.  My buddy just said to angle the rod to the side in case the line snaps back and the chances of the hook going in your face are less. 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »

thanks brookboy.  I've been taught to do this but didn't know what it was called.  My buddy just said to angle the rod to the side in case the line snaps back and the chances of the hook going in your face are less. 

The proper term is "turning the fish" which not only forces the fish to change direction, but also forces it's gill plate to close in the process. Hence tiring them out from lack of oxygen entering the gills.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »

Milo,thats a classic.
You actually ate that thing?  :-X
Youve come a long ways. :D

Tex is right on about freespooling so the float gets behind the fish and it will swim back up the pool towards you.
Has saved me a few fish over the years.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:34:49 AM by firstlight »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 01:25:19 AM »

Had a 25 to the beach today on a 8 foot, light rated (4-10 pnd test) rated shimano.
Used side pressure and was only a 5 min fight...
However when he hit the beach he went on one last run and when I turned him again, I turned him the wrong into some submerged trees  :'(
One less pic of the roe fly I guess  :P

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »

that big boy's in the smoker! you jealousy bears you!  ;D
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find