Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update on Vedder River Conditions? Any sign of hope?  (Read 3712 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Update on Vedder River Conditions? Any sign of hope?
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:54:01 PM »

Just wondering what the conditions are on the Vedder.  I noticed that after a bit of a spike the other day, the river has settled in again at somewhere around 2.45 meters.  Is it still coffee, or is there some clearing going on??  Not worried about Steelhead season just yet, but I am curious about the conditions and what the newly exposed Claybank is doing? I would go check it myself, but the girlfriend would kill me for spending the $40 bucks on gas if I wasn't going to fish!! :-[ ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

fishfinder

Re: Update on Vedder River Conditions? Any sign of hope?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:21:12 PM »

Save your gas money, Big Steel. I was at the Crossing and at KWB today, and the water was still chocolate milk. The water level was high.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 11:29:39 PM »

Save your gas money, Big Steel. I was at the Crossing and at KWB today, and the water was still chocolate milk. The water level was high.
And will be that way for a long time unfortunately, new clay slides opened up.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:24:18 AM »

Took a drive up to the limit hole late yesterday. Mid section is still grey, but is fishable  and some coho and chum are being caught. Most are boots, but a few are chromie.
At the top, there is a slight green tinge to the water. Same fish condition: most boots, but a few worthwhile. The fish are close to shore, moving up very slowly, close to the surface.
Cold weather is coming up, and the river should be in good shape from mid to upper section by the week end.
Be careful out there, though. It is still a wild river.

buck

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:16:55 PM »

One newly exposed clay slide in Slesse Creek is contributing lots of clay silt into the system . Every time it rains the creek looks like whole milk. There is also a newly exposed slide just below the Anderson run which will most likely pose a real problam in the near future. Then theres the Tolmie slide with its ongoing problems. I'm with Chris when he says it will be a long time until the river clears. Anything below the Allison is toast as I see it, unless you like fishing white water.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

FYI

There have been some serious changes in the clay slide siltation since November 6th. From up stream:

1. Slesse Creek is showing considerable siltation coming in from above the old slide area and a side creek.  New log jams and slide channel took pressure off the slide. looking quite good.
Some siltation coming into the Chilliwack River from above the hatchery.

2. Ranger Run - side channel cutting and contributing some siltation

3. Thurston Camp has a massive slide across the river, from over bedrock,  many seams of gravel so could be less harmful.  Also much more difficult to access to other side.

4. Anderson run holding but new area at the bottom not protected previously and undercutting.

5. Slesse Park Clay slide about the same, some siltation entering the river but stabilization working.

6. Tolmie Clay Slide had a major slump near the downstream end covering over about 8 groynes.
Upstream end groynes were holding well as of last week.

7. Siscoe Slide holding good after big event.

8. Willow Run - river has moved away from that side of the valley, so not an immediate problem.

9. Neville Road has not been checked but I don't expect any problem there.

My General Prognosis

Siltation from clay from glacial till clay banks erosion will affect the lower part Chilliwack/Vedder River and likely continue for several months, causing sealing of spawning gravels and choking of river bed.  This siltation will have detrimental effect on steelhead migration this winter and sports fishing opportunity.

A Gap Analysis study of the clay slides proposed for this winter is now more urgent than ever.

Thanks

David Lamson, President
Chilliwack River Action Committee

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »

what the hell is a groynes??

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »

Not what you are thinking Paul... ;)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/crac/project1.html

Basically big boulders for stabilization.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:25:15 PM »

What I wouldnt do for the Thurston area of 4-5 years ago to come back to exactly the way it was. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:42:17 PM »

why, what was the thurston area back then?  ???
The Bigger The Better!

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 09:14:09 PM »

nicer water, not saying that it hasnt been decent to me in the past few years, it was just that much better.  But things change, what can you do.  After all is said and done there will be a few spots missing and a few new ones to find. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 09:46:55 AM »

Visibility at the Vedder Canal this morning 4 to 6 inches.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 01:09:43 PM »

the river will stabilize... may need a helping hand via some heavy equipment and some new groynes, but this is not the first time the river has done this type of thing. I remember 3 or 4 years ago when the entire flow was blocked by slumpage and debris and many of the major high water incidences in the past 20 years..... she always came back into shape.