Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish ID?  (Read 20166 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: Fish ID?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »

its not an Atlantic,there are to many spots on its back,the spots are usually very few and spread out,also Atlantic's tend to have no spots on the tail,i would say it has more coho jack features than anything.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »

Very likely a coho.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »

Officially, I'd go with coho jack (white gums).
Unofficially, I'd go with coho/chinook hybrid jack - an uncommon, but documented occurrence.

Nicely done this late in the season! :)

jeff

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »

Hey Milo just out of curiosity if it is a hybrid like you said what does it fall under in terms of retention because you can kept unclipped springs but not unclipped coho could you kept it and say its a spring because its a hybrid if that is indeed what it is.
Enjoying the water..........

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

Hey Milo just out of curiosity if it is a hybrid like you said what does it fall under in terms of retention because you can kept unclipped springs but not unclipped coho could you kept it and say its a spring because its a hybrid if that is indeed what it is.

Nope, I wouldn't keep it because officially it would be a coho. A CO would guide him/herself by the gums (as explained by an actual CO who saw this post).
That said, I don't think any angler worth their salt would actually retain a booty salmon like that, hybrid or not. ;)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »

Interesting. I was not aware of Co-nooks, though in my web search all the fish looked like coho but had gray or black gums.

I wonder if the boys in the hatchery got bored and did some special mixing (??).
You would think if they were naturally occuring that there would be a lot more of them (i.e. coho looking salmon 20+lb)

I certainly saw it as a coho jack though it was a bit of a surprise.
Nice drift on the far side of the main current, float goes down, I set the hook, and whattttt??? Head shakes but it's certainly not very big (dolly maybe). I bring it in and see the golden colour when it is still 20 feet away. Take a couple pics and release  ;D
The pictures are crummy because my camera was on macro mode.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »

Hey, it made 3 pages of FWR so it did well ;D

Pretty sure that fish is a coho and not necessarily a jack. Small populations of late migrating coho are common in the lower Fraser tribs - right now in downtown Sardis there are coho spawning in Luckakuk Creek and I've seen coho in late January in Sweltzer Creek.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

What would you say this one is? (cabbaged from another forum...and they were pretty evenly split over what it is)

It looks to me very much like typhoon's fish.

cohoaaron

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

Thats a coho jack

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »

What would you say this one is? (cabbaged from another forum...and they were pretty evenly split over what it is)

It looks to me very much like typhoon's fish.
I would say Chinook with washed out gums, but only because it was caught in September and I'm assuming it had spots on the lower half of the tail.

floatfisher

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »

Coho

alan701

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

hope these fish aren't in the next fish id contest haha

cohoaaron

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »

x2!!!!!!!!!

floatfisher

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »

If these "difficult" fish aren't used more often that just means that you will never get better at correctly identifying fish. I think it would useful to have a more frequent test on the forum as many replys are wrong. However that is obviously completely up to the admins as people always want a prize or something. Would be neat if each time you correctly identified a fish from the mystery fish you got some sort of rank near your name as that could be a way to show that your a knowledgeable angler on the forum. I'd rather have a badge than the chance of maybe winning a prize lol

cohoaaron

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »

I dont thinl that would be very fair because there is obviously not very many coho that look like that with full spOtted tails.