Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any advice on gear???  (Read 9199 times)

T-Boy

Re: any advice on gear???
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 08:49:04 PM »

First post.

First post
Nikka in Richmond has breathables and hip waders on sale.
Check Fred's tackle in Chillewack, I tried on a pair of Protract neoprene and he  said he would let them go for $69. Unfortunatly none would fit.

T-Boy

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 08:53:31 PM »

It looks like I screwed up on my first post. Sorry about that.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 09:42:57 PM »

Two... no actually three schools of thought being discussed here.
First, dispense with the $ 60 cheapo's from Wlmart or Canuck Tire - They'll KILL you quicker than you can imagine, are downright uncomfortable, poor floor gripping for wading safely. NADA! Never!

Now the debate between breathables and neoprene. Some like to diss one or the other, but both definitely have their place: What type of angler are you, and when will you most likely to be wearing them? If you're an aggressive, bush-bashing madman who constantly searches for that special place a tad beyond the beaten path, STAY AWAY from the breathables! They tear more easily than their proponents will have you believe (numerous occasions witnessed first hand), and offer little in the way of protection from snags, bouncing off of rocks etc. If you're comfortable working the main drag, and are willing to take care NOT to beat them up, the breathables are admittedly more comfortable, and offer much better freedom of movement. However for the diehard long-range, bush-bashing fanatic, neoprenes are the best FIRST choice.
If fishing the spring summer and fall, breathables are luxury! If working January steel, you'll pour on enough polar fleece that you may as well be wearing neo's, and affording the extra insulation/protection they offer.

I've had both. Now just neo's as I (and a LOT of my buddies) simply can't get breathables to last more than a couple of hard run outings. For your first pair, I'd strongly suggest neoprenes from a reputable maker (SeaTux my current, two years and ticking, albiet more than a few patches.)

Cheers,
Nog

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 10:32:37 AM »

Ironnoggin is right on. Don't buy the cheapo waders from Walmart, Canadian Tire as they are truly inferior. Lousy boots. The guy that drowned at the Cottonwoods last week had one of those on. He was only 40 years old.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 12:37:39 PM »

Nog, you said! Bang on.

Those breathables are super comfy & easy to hike in. But they don,t stand up to the cold. Heavy bushwacking, bouncing around in a jet boat, cigarettes & campfires all are hard on breathables. There is a place for both types.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 01:01:06 PM »

.... does anyone out there own a BARE Kodiak jacket, the one that matches the Blackwater waders ???

aYup! And LOVING it!  ;D Total sky-water protection, tough going through the bush thus far, and fairly warm. A tad bulky for most app's beyond winter steel, but that's why it came along.

Cheers,
Nog

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 03:12:26 PM »

No problem helping you with some info habzrule.  Now if your name was 'avsrule', well...  ;)

Good luck on your first salmon
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 08:45:10 PM »

;Dthanks! ;D
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing