Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye, First Nations harvest, chinook slot size limit, stats, etc  (Read 9058 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: "Official" FN stats to July 27th
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »

I wonder why it closed before the long weekend for us? oh i know, the indians are fishing all weekend... they dont want to share the water with us. Honestly, how many fish do they actually need? anyone know how many band members are actually along the river?
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »

The mortality study may become a useful managment tool for situations like this one where FN put pressure on government to close the river due to a possible shortage in their TAC. Past court cases have been won by government where FN has tried to close rec sport fisheries in the marine waters when their TAC was not reached. Mortaility studies showed that sport caught fish in marine waters was less than 3% therefore closing the sport rec fishery would have little or not impact on their TAC ( total allowable catch) and therefore can remain open even when their TAC is not reached.

So if we can get 35 people a day onto Grassy Bar for this study it maybe the tool that government needs to help them manage the rec sockeye fishery on a more stable basis and not having to cave into FN pressure everytime the test fishery drops a few thousand.
If the mortality study shows greater than 3%, than tighter managment will be required when stocks of concern are in the river.

I will be donating rides to Grassy on as many days as I can, Island 22 at 8am August 5-10, help us out if you can, it would be much appreciated by everyone involved.

Vic Carrao
STS
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:24:03 AM by RA40 »

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Why size restriction with the current AlbionTest Fishery so high?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »

Just so you know, drift nets and set nets are traditional methods of fishing . Same as fishing with a rod and barbed hook!  All traditional!
I agree with you Dennis, the single biggest problem our fish stocks have right now is the govt's  blind eye to the effects of fish farms. They are killing our salmon stocks!

Hotrod

LOL traditional? dip nets are traditional... power boats and long nets sweeping the river is hardly traditional.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »

It's frustrating to see the Indians fishing when commercial and sportfishermen can't. The courts have ruled that the Indians have the "constitutional right" to fish.

Hey, I didn't know that. I thought only First Nations had the constitutional right to fish.
Those Indians you saw, were they Hindu, Muslims or Sikh? ???

salmon river

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »

The courts have ruled that the Indians have the "constitutional right" to fish.

That could be fixed if we had some politicians with guts, very easily.  The notwithstanding clause.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »

The courts have ruled that the Indians have the "constitutional right" to fish.

That could be fixed if we had some politicians with guts, very easily.  The notwithstanding clause.

True

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »

I will be donating rides to Grassy on as many days as I can, Island 22 at 8am August 5-10, help us out if you can, it would be much appreciated by everyone involved.

Thank you for putting your money where your mouth is, Vic! Class act!
I will do my best to be there on at least a couple of days.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »

The natives have a constitutional right to fish for food and ceremonial purposes. Period.

They are not required to use "traditional" methods. I believe this is primarily because these methods have been continually improving. It's like saying you are allowed to use the road, but only if you use oxen.

Changes to the constitution cannot be done easily, and complaining about it here will not help.
If you want to change the world lobby your MP.

Natives are not allowed to sell their catches of food and ceremonial fish.
If we were able to enforce the laws associated with this activity then I believe we wouldn't be talking about it.
You can help by not buying salmon out of the back of a truck. It may be cheaper to buy, but the cost to the ecosystem is immense.

hotrod

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 02:06:48 PM »

Just so you know, drift nets and set nets are traditional methods of fishing . Same as fishing with a rod and barbed hook!  All traditional!
I agree with you Dennis, the single biggest problem our fish stocks have right now is the govt's  blind eye to the effects of fish farms. They are killing our salmon stocks!

Hotrod

LOL traditional? dip nets are traditional... power boats and long nets sweeping the river is hardly traditional.

You know your ignorance never surprises me. Are you an expert on  native tarditional fishing methods? You should be with all the info I have provided to you on several forums on this topic. And yet you seem to say the same thing over and over again! I wonder why?   :'(

Hotrod

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »

If you want FN to stop selling them, suck it up and don't buy it from them.  It might suck having to have steak instead of sockeye for a couple seasons, but the message will get across.   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser River sockeye, First Nations harvest, stats, etc etc etc...
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »

2008 In-season Fraser River sockeye salmon status from Fraser River Panel (up to August 2nd):

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/080801.pdf

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

DFO's arrogance and disrespect to the sporties is something to behold if they allow FN to put 300,000 sockeyes for sales. I mean, why not kneel and bow to their 'masters' and say 'okay, whatever you want, masters'. On the other hand we are the slaves who can't do a thing when DFO tells us to get out of the water right before the long weekend, and them not removing the size restriction even when the Albion Test Fishery show quite a high Chinook count. They do anything to appease the natives, and yet show the utmost contempt to the sport fishing community. I have told all my greenie fishing friends to not bother with starting a salmon fishing hobby and get ripped off by DFO who will do anything but to provide fair fishing opportunity to the license paying fishermen. They may as well ask FN to donate some fish sales revenue to their budget for the short fall from license sales.  >:(

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

Hotrod

You know your ignorance never surprises me. Are you an expert on  native tarditional fishing methods? You should be with all the info I have provided to you on several forums on this topic. And yet you seem to say the same thing over and over again! I wonder why?   :'(

Hotrod

perhaps they had some form of drift netting they used hundreds of years ago... but can you honestly say that using power boats and long gill nets drifting down river and sweeping every fish up in its path including sturgeon, is a traditional way? give me a break. drift netting like that is wrong as it takes everything without distinction.. whether white or indian or whatever you are it shouldnt be allowed. If native people want fish then fine.. if they want to sell it they should have to buy a commercial licence like any law abiding canadian.

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »

WTG steel...if only tax payers fish...that cuts out the first nations all together....I like that idea!!

Also, I can buy fish all day long for $15.00 each. I myself am so d a m n tired of first nations blowing smoke up my a s s I can't see straight!

Oh well.......one more thing....why all the fuss over sockeye??  Those FN folks can have all the chum they want!  Last year there was a crap load of pinks...did the FN take those for food? Hell no they can't sell them!

Thank You!

BOB
The Green Horn

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service

How about this, instead of allowing a FN sale of fish, transfer allocation of those fish in the way of a buy out. The government is currently buying Halibut quotes from the commercial sector and giving them to the recreational fishery, why not buy some of FN allocation and give it to the recreational anglers on the Fraser. It's a win win for everyone, FN don't need to go out and net fish after they have met their food and cerimional needs. They stay home and instead of you buying your fish for $10 on the street corner you can go out and spend $100 for each fish by angling for them.