Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ditch Eels.  (Read 9151 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Re: Ditch Eels.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »

my dad used to use squid tentacles for bait especally when the eels were hard to find .

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 08:21:01 PM »

I remember seeing kids walking in and along a shallow waterfilled ditch with an ice cream pail down near the bottom of Walnut Grove between 200 and the turn off to Derby Reach. I suspected they were picking up ditch eels but I never actually seen them to confirm.

Maybe that's how you do it now - pay some kids to do the harvesting so an adult doesn't get busted.

JiG_Head

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 08:29:22 PM »

For sturgeon fishing yeah Bullheads work fairly well. Every once in a while you'll get one that swallows your roe bag so you take it cut its head off flatten it to release juices and throw it back out. On a hook of course. Those other fish you are talking about are stickleback, and are protected.

NO!!!, im talkin about prickleback,an eel like fish.... stickleback are freshwater fish...

http://www.sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Bio-DiTRL/images/med_jpeg/m52980604.jpeg

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:31:36 PM by JiG_Head »
the shyt talker.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »

I used to catch ditch eels with my hand when I was young.  I would put a sock over my hand and just grab a whole bunch of them when I would see a bunch of them.  Then I would put them in a bucket an keep them as pets for a day or two until my mom made me put them back.

As I remember, cedar creek was full of them near joes store.  (anyone know where Joes store is?  You can get a free dougnut from me if you know  :P )

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40:46 AM »

For sturgeon fishing yeah Bullheads work fairly well. Every once in a while you'll get one that swallows your roe bag so you take it cut its head off flatten it to release juices and throw it back out. On a hook of course. Those other fish you are talking about are stickleback, and are protected.

NO!!!, im talkin about prickleback,an eel like fish.... stickleback are freshwater fish...

http://www.sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Bio-DiTRL/images/med_jpeg/m52980604.jpeg

I Think he is talking about Gunnels. If you go to the ocean when the tide is out the are everywhere under large rocks.  They look like eels but are a type of fish. 
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »

Sorryyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   misunderstood, never heard of prickleback before. I thought you were talking about local, in freshwater creeks and rivers. Cool lookin fish though
 :)
Wishin I was Fishin

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »

Joes store at the corner of Prarie and Cedar?
Ill have a Boston Cream please. ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 08:44:28 PM »

They have someone who arranges the candy quite often in there . ;)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?